This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two at once, lucky me

I live in a rural area. Our little community has one gas station, a pizza place and a Curves. Very different from downtown Phoenix.

The gas station/minimart sells gas well under Phoenix prices, but you have to pay first. The owner has been feuding with Bell Gas and they cut him off all the time. I'm always sighting SC's there. Today, tho...today was really different.

Last week, I hurt my back and I'm walking a little funny. Today I felt the need for some malty beverages, so went to the local minimart to satisfy the craving.

When I got to the counter, the clerk (who always jokes with me) told me that he couldn't sell me beer because I was sideways. I told him "No, I'm not sideways, I'm just bent. If I was sideways I'd be doing this." and turned sideways to him. He laughed and gave me my beer and change.

At no time during this conversation did the transaction stop, he rang up my beer, I paid, he counted the change and bagged my sixpack, I took my change and beer, laughed with him and got out of the way.

The *cough* lady behind me went off of the clerk for making personal comments about my appearance. Seriously, she was cussing and screaming over how rude the clerk had been to me. I was all WTF and told her that the clerk was just joking with me. She then proceeds to scream at the clerk for wasting time making conversation when there were customers in line.

The manager heard the ruckus and came out in time to see her toss her unpaid for stuff on the floor and then walk on it as she stomped out the door.

Manager's a good guy, I've seen him in action before. He was in the process of making SC1 pay for the damaged product when SC2 came flying in the store (almost hitting Manager with the door), ran to the front of the line, flung her credit card at the clerk, snapped "30 on pump whatever* and started to leave.

The clerk started to tell SC2 that she would have to wait her turn and she cut him off with "I don't have time, turn it on now." The customer she cut off told the clerk "turn her pump on, you don't need anymore grief today" and SC2 glared at the nice guy.

The clerk then had to tell SC2 that they couldn't stop the pump at a certain amount, she would have to do it. Right, whatever, evil looks.

SC2 went to the door, opened it and while standing in the store screamed "John, you have to shut the pump off at 30 because these people are too stupid to do it".

Manager went right to the register, shut the pump off and handed the *cough* lady her plastic back. I always respected the manager. As a matter of fact, I've tried to recruite him. When I heard his final words (using very respectful tone and attitude) to the bitch, I resolved to offer him even more money.

"I'm sorry, Mam. We are too stupid to be able to turn your pump ON, so you will have to leave now."

It's always fun to see sucky customers while you are in another store or other place of business. I've seen a few here and there. Usually it's someone on their cell and they're in line.

Couple weeks ago I was in a craft store and buying some beads. Anyway when I was ready to check out I saw a SC argueing with the clerk about there credit card and saying it's something wrong with their machine (yeah, right). I just stood there with a smile on and thinking this is very familar. Lucky she was able to pay and left the store. I on the other hand had cash and paid with it.

Apparently SC1 didn't have any sense of humor or was in a bad mood (I'm thinking both). SC2 was a real jackass and just didn't have the time to wait in a line. The manager seems he doesn't take cr@p from SCs and probably a good boss to work for.
    Last edited by rdp78; 07-10-2006, 01:23 AM.
    Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
    My space
    Facebook

Comment

I hope when it comes my turn, I'm a cool manager like that.
      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I wish I had an awesome manager like that...he's gotta be cool to work for if that's what he does to SCs...
        Love is admiration without envy, familiarity without contempt, and chocolate without asking.

Comment

Glad that was a cool manager! And glad the malty treats made you feel better.

Comment

That was a cool manager! Wish all store managers had the spine to stand up to SCs; the world would be a much better place.

Hope your back gets better soon!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

What I would have given to be able to refuse to authorize gas pumps for people who "don't have time".

Hell, what I would have given to make customers pay for the stuff that they threw on the floor.

I know this didn't happen in the story, but my ultimate dream was to throw stuff back at customers. Especially money and credit cards and IDs.

That manager sounds like a God.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

SC1 was pretty dense. How can she complain about what the cashier said to you when you said a smart comment back to them?

Comment

Quoth rdp78
                  It's always fun to see sucky customers while you are in another store or other place of business.
                  I'm not management, I'm admin help. I'm the one the employees call with problems. I'm also the one who talks to the complaining SCs. I've become very protective about my employees and it seems to carry over to other SCRs.

Before I got this job, I would stand back and make fun of SCs. Now I tend to get involved.

Apparently SC1 didn't have any sense of humor or was in a bad mood (I'm thinking both).
                  I think she was just looking for something to complain about. Some people think that there is only so much happiness to go around and when they see other people being happy that means that there is less happiness available for the entitled one. Or, at least that's how it seems to me.

[QUOTE]SC2 was a real jackass and just didn't have the time to wait in a line.

SC2 had just spent an hour driving from Phoenix (I know this because she screamed this several times while the manager just calmly said "Yes, that is a long drive. You have to leave now." We are out in the middle of nowhere, she was going to drive at least half an hour and probably an hour to get to her destination. Any reasonable person does not time an hour and half drive in such a way that 2 extra minutes would make a difference.

The manager seems he doesn't take cr@p from SCs and probably a good boss to work for.
                  This is why I asked my boss if I could offer that manager even more money to steal him away. His employees are so loyal that I could fully staff the store in meth country in less than a week.

Quoth Bella_Vixen
                  I hope when it comes my turn, I'm a cool manager like that.
                  I'm quite sure that you will be, you will remember how it was like when you were on the front lines. And if not, you will come back here and remember Or we will beat you with frozen fish until you give in

Quoth CherryCokeKissez
                  I wish I had an awesome manager like that...he's gotta be cool to work for if that's what he does to SCs...
                  I'm in that store 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes more. I can always tell which manager is on duty by the clerks' expressions and body language.

Quoth csdrone
                  Glad that was a cool manager! And glad the malty treats made you feel better.
                  It was poetry in action! And malty treats always help my attitude, but hurt the waistline

Quoth XCashier
                  Wish all store managers had the spine to stand up to SCs; the world would be a much better place.
                  I so agree with this. Everytime "The Main Office" demands that managers cave, it reinforces bad behavior. The world keeps getting ruder and ruder. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Le Sigh.

Hope your back gets better soon!
                  Thank you. I'm getting better every day. It was just one of those stupid things. I'm sure you've never, ever hurt yourself doing something dumb.

Quoth blas87
                  What I would have given to be able to refuse to authorize gas pumps for people who "don't have time".
                  As far as I know, Phx is all pay at the pump. People who come to our local mini-mart never have time to stand in line twice, even though they "come here all the time and I always have to do this."

When this manager is on duty, when people "don't have time", the clerks usually ask the last person in line to remind him/her to turn on the pump after the SC goes out the door.

Hell, what I would have given to make customers pay for the stuff that they threw on the floor.
                  I've watched the same manager make people pay for damage their kids have done.

I know this didn't happen in the story, but my ultimate dream was to throw stuff back at customers. Especially money and credit cards and IDs.
                  Dreams are always good.

Quoth Titi
                  SC1 was pretty dense. How can she complain about what the cashier said to you when you said a smart comment back to them?
                  And smiling and laughing.

I think she was just afraid that we were going to use up a weeks worth of her happiness and needed to do something. Bitch.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone
                    I'm quite sure that you will be, you will remember how it was like when you were on the front lines. And if not, you will come back here and remember Or we will beat you with frozen fish until you give in
                    I promise I'll remember.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone
                      I'm sure you've never, ever hurt yourself doing something dumb.
                      More often than I care to remember.

Quoth Slave to the Phone
                      As far as I know, Phx is all pay at the pump.
                      I think AM/PM stations you still have to go inside, but everywhere else, there's a credit card machine on the pump. And it's always "pay first"; I have yet to see any gas station where you pay after you pump. Considering the high crime rate in Phoenix, that's a smart idea. And I'm sure the gas station workers get their share of idiots grousing about it, too...
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen
                        I promise I'll remember.
                        Going by what I've seen from you here...I do believe that you do not need to worry about being fish-slapped

Quoth XCashier
                        I think AM/PM stations you still have to go inside, but everywhere else, there's a credit card machine on the pump.
                        I'm thinking I haven't had to go inside to pay in Phx because when we buy gas, its close to the freeways. I'm really surprised that you have any gas stations that require you to go inside to pay.

And it's always "pay first"; I have yet to see any gas station where you pay after you pump.
                        I can clearly remember the last one I saw in Arizona. Back in 1993, we got fed up with California politics and deceided to vote with our feet. We choose Arizona for our new home but because neither of us had been in Arizona since I spent a couple of years at Davis Monthan, we thought it would be a good idea to visit before we moved.

We had already ruled out Phx, so toured Central and Northern Az several times. Being used to California, I had the gas money in my wallet and when we stopped would hop off the bike and go in to pay first. For the most part, the clerks were not used to pay first and I would upset their routine.

When we moved in 1994, all of the pumps we saw had signs saying "Pay First".

*****Story update*****

With new players:

C1=young store employee who has only been there for a couple of weeks.
                        C2=slightly older store employee who has been there for months and appears to be in line to take over should Hero Manager leave.
                        Honorable mention to much-older, road dog Mr Slave. (who wears a .45 in a crossdraw holster)

We thought the "gas today, no gas tomorrow" thing was over when the mini-mart hung Texico signs over the Bell Gas signs. Guess we were wrong because when I hit reserve, I pulled into the local place instead of going up the road for the gas war stuff.

I noticed that there were only a couple of cars in front of pumps, but gave it a try anyhow. I went in to pay, the clerk (who was fairly new) cringed, dropped her eyes and told me that they only had premium. The first words out of my mouth "Oh, you poor dear, have people been yelling at you?"

C1 looked at my face for the first time, smiled and said "You know how it is, I know you do" and shot a glance at the minion badge emblazoned over my left teat.

I gave C1 a ten dollar bill, filled my tank and went in for change. (note to self: start thread asking gas station attendents about paying for gas and then leaving without going back in for 17 cents.)

When I came back inside, C2 was waiting with my change and wanted to talk to me outside. These are not exact quotes, but as I remember the conversation:

C2: You are one of our favorite customers. You never get mad, you don't pay with change unless we have signs out, you defend us from the f***heads and tell them things that we wish we could say.

*head starts to swell*

We love your husband even more because people don't make a scene when he tells them to shut up or leave.

Stop trying to hire Manager away. We put up with all this s*** because we don't want to drive half an hour to work. Manager is the only one who makes this tolerable.

*bubble bursts*

If you make us follow him, we are going to make up lies and get you banned from the store. And maybe your husband too.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone
                          :

C2: You are one of our favorite customers. You never get mad, you don't pay with change unless we have signs out, you defend us from the f***heads and tell them things that we wish we could say.

*head starts to swell*

We love your husband even more because people don't make a scene when he tells them to shut up or leave.

Stop trying to hire Manager away. We put up with all this s*** because we don't want to drive half an hour to work. Manager is the only one who makes this tolerable.

*bubble bursts*

If you make us follow him, we are going to make up lies and get you banned from the store. And maybe your husband too.

That's cute.

Comment

Working...
                          X