This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I didn't mean to get cash back"

The other day I had just finished a transaction and my screen indicated the customer had asked for $20 back so I opened the drawer and went to hand him the money, but the customer just stared at me and said the thread title.

It's a little hard to accidentally get cash back. You would have had to make three mistakes. First, say "yes" instead of "no" when the card reader asks if you want cash back. Then when the dollar amounts pop up on the screen, randomly choose one. Third, you'd have to somehow miss that the amount the card reader is showing on the screen is different than the one I'm telling you is your total and press "yes" to confirm the total.

He just stared at me for a moment and asked, "I didn't want $20. What do I do?"

I advised him to go deposit it back into his bank. He seemed puzzled I couldn't just put it back in the till and make it go back on his card, but eventually he left with the $20 he didn't want.

I've had people do that sometimes; they weren't paying attention to what buttons they were pressing...granted, the pinpads could be a bit squirrelly, but really? It tells you the total amount when you hit yes.

Usually, it was the exact opposite (assumed that just because they told me they were using DEBIT that meant we would give them cash).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I get people A LOT that seem surprised that they need to have the credit card in their possession to process a refund. I don't have your credit card information on file. Have you met some of the people that work the counter at some of our stores, esp. the inner city? You really don't want these guys to have your credit card number. Just slide the card.

Then there are the guys that think I can look up their previous purchases by giving me their credit card info. Again, do you really want guys that flunked out of technical college to have access to that kind of information?

Comment

Like people who turn up with items bought at other stores at other locations (same company) and seem surprised that we can't refund them. Um, go back to the store you bought it at and get your refund!
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Or the ones who want to get cash back but run their card as a credit and get mad when you tell them they HAVE to put their PIN number in if they want cash back.

Comment

Working...
          X