Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Company stole money from my friend they accused of theft...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a lawyer, but I used to be an employer in the State of Washington. My lawyer told me to never, NEVER dock an employee's pay like this. ESPECIALLY the last check.

Have him go to his local government labor board now. This is bad.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I'm with everybody else. Go to the labor board.

The company can't dock him for money they can't prove he stole. Or even misplaced.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
        First things first. I'm not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. Using any of this information as the sole basis for a legal case only shows that your friend is too stupid to deserve his money back.
        I know you aren't saying that CrazedClerk's friend is stupid, right?
        Poor choice of phrasing, I suspect.

Other than that, good advice.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Even if they could prove he stole it, a company cannot legally do this. If a person causes company damage or theft, the company cannot with-hold that person's paycheck in whole or in part, even if they fire him. They HAVE to pay the person fair legal wages for his work, then turn around and either sue him for the damages or have him arrested for theft. THEY CANNOT arbitrarily withhold funds.

If they can't do it when they have PROOF of his negligence/guilt, they certainly can't do it simply because they SUSPECT his actions.

I'd say go with the lawyer.
          My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I've passed it on to my friend and he's going to spend this week contact agencies and see what happens.

He said if the money was not placed in the safe, it must've been left nearby. He thinks he put it in there but of course he does that every night so if he forgot a night, he may not remember specifics.

However, he most certainly does NOT have the money, so regardless of where it got to, it's not in his bank account (or stuffed in a mattress at his house).
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Gee, I wish I had known all this 30 years ago when I worked at a gas station. I was robbed at gunpoint, AND the money stolen was docked from my paycheck.

Just out of curiosity, does Phillips 66 even exist any more? They sure have disappeared from around here...
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                Just out of curiosity, does Phillips 66 even exist any more? They sure have disappeared from around here...
                Yup we have one in my town!
                "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                  Yep they still exist. Whenever I pay the company's Conoco credit card I make the check out to 'Phillips 66/Conoco/76'.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                    Yep they still exist. Whenever I pay the company's Conoco credit card I make the check out to 'Phillips 66/Conoco/76'.
                    Too much work! Just write "76" ... they'll cash it.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Working...
                    X