This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtually a Catch-22

I love it... We recently had a note from someone up the food chain in my software development biz. "You guys are using too many Amazon virtual systems! OpEx (Operational Expense) is getting very high! Stop using those systems!"

Minor detail: I have been unable to reliably get a local virtual system to deploy in several months. Submitting tickets doesn't seem to have any effect, and complaining to the general "engineering" mailing list results mostly in a bunch of "Me too!" notes. And some very mis-directed non-solutions. (Example: "Hey, you can list your VMs so you can delete them with <wrong command>." Followed by many notes correcting <wrong command> and not addressing the original problem in any way.)

At least if I spend YOUR money on an Amazon VM, I can get some work done!!

And we just had a presentation about how they are going to be replacing our development desktop systems with more virtual systems.

Can you guess how optimistic I am about this?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

They want to run cheaper with virtual systems on bare bones terminals. Okay, fine. If they aren't going to have virtual systems that work, OpEx may be low, but productivity will be even lower. I'd suggest some sort of charting showing cost/production with the in-house and Amazon VS, and add in the in-place desktops... I'd suggest it, but... we know what conclusions would be drawn: "That worst option, we must have it NAOW!"

As to the ticket/thread derailment... Hey look, a cat video <incomplete link>

Comment

My employer moved entirely to AWS 2.5 years ago. I thought that we would get eaten alive by the cost. Everything is À la carte. Nope. Cut operational cost by 75% (we had a bad lease on our data center).

Boss still bitches every month about the bill.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
        ...Boss still bitches every month about the bill.
        Don'tcha know? It's on the Intarweebs, so it should be free!
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Boss still bitches every month about the bill.
          That's probably part of his job description.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
          X