No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still get a little skittish at people in the grocery store with no mask. But it's much less than over the summer when I had a panic attack. Why am I more relaxed? Because I haven't got sick with anything all last year and not the 3 years before that. So I'm not as worried about me. I'm thoroughly convinced I'm either never contracting this thing or I will/have unknowingly. I do mask and sanitize my hands while out still because I know others don't have the same immune system I do. I bet I never develop any serious illness like cancer and instead die in a really stupid freak accident or something, like Meryl Streep in Defending Your Life. I wish I could find a copy of that movie.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
      ... like Meryl Streep in Defending Your Life. I wish I could find a copy of that movie.
      As you wish:

Prime Video on Amazon

Blu-Ray or DVD on Amazon
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Aw, thanks! I found it last night.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Finally got an appt for shot 1 (unsure which 'brand' it is). Surprisingly for my notoriously incompetent state, they're apparently actually enforcing making people hang out for 15 minutes (in case of any immediate reactions) before giving the recipients their proof of vaxx cards. Couple weeks from now.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Your state gives out proof of vax cards after the first shot? Mine apparently won't until the second shot.

Comment

• It sounds that way from how it was worded on their site; this was specifically a page for the first shot. I don't know what the cards actually look like - to the best of my knowledge, we're just now beginning to get the second doses.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

• My mother got her first shot last week (Arizona). They gave her an appointment card showing dosing information for her first shot and date/time/location for second shot.

Comment

• Question about the "proof of vaccination" cards...do these essentially allow you to go to work or enter any building without a mask? I don't want to be one of those irate "I have a medical exemption!!!" assholes you always see on YouTube, yet...what's the point of getting vaccinated, if we won't be allowed to eventually throw these hateful masks away and resume our ordinary activities?

Comment

• Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                    Question about the "proof of vaccination" cards...do these essentially allow you to go to work or enter any building without a mask? I don't want to be one of those irate "I have a medical exemption!!!" assholes you always see on YouTube, yet...what's the point of getting vaccinated, if we won't be allowed to eventually throw these hateful masks away and resume our ordinary activities?
                    Even though you get vaccinated, you can still be a carrier and pass the virus on to other people. When 85% to 90% of everybody gets vaccinated, then we can think about ditching the masks.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Even having the full vaccine dose onboard doesn't mean there's not an active infection running. Plus, there's the whole "Oh look, no masks, so we must ALL be allowed to unmask now" line of BS that leads to yet ANOTHER flare up.

Comment

• I have heard tell more than once of workplaces requiring their employees to bring proof of vaccination before returning to work after a "We all got infected so we had to close the place down and disinfect it" event. Ditto for workers who have been traveling.

The point of mass vaxx, I believe, is so we can eventually reach the point of true "herd immunity"/90+% immunity or at least resistance. (Good question, btw.) - I'm thinking that we will inevitably reach that point where masks are no longer needed as long as most people get the shots. We just gotta give it time; it won't be particularly soon would be my guess.

As for masking requirements - eh, I'll only say this. The government has been saying from the beginning that they do NOT put out cards/forms exempting anyone from mask-wearing requirements; the proof of vaxx do not serve that function either. Any you see with a government seal on them are fakes downloaded from some website, though not all of those who use them may know that. (discussion about legality/use of these goes you-know where Knock yourself out)

Comment

• One thing to keep in mind: A vaccine is NOT a magical barrier that keeps the virus out of your body, You can still catch the virus. The vaccine tunes your antibodies to fight the virus. You have a head start and will hopefully keep it to a minimum.

It makes sense that if you can catch the virus, you can spread it. Though your contagious period will be less severe and shorter,

Please continue to wear your mask until the only ones still at risk, are those that choose to be at risk.

Personally, I am hoping that masks become fashionable and in the future, more people continue to wearing them during flu season.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Well, my brother and his wife tested positive for COVID. I can't say that I'm surprised they got it, only that it took this long for them to get it. My sister-in-laws family are in the "Masks are stupid and no one can tell us to wear them" camp. My sister-in-law has lunch with them 3-4 times a week. My brother has meetings with politicians that also refuse to wear masks (part of his job to have meetings with them.) They don't know where or when they were exposed, and didn't think it was important to let anyone they have had face to face contact with know that they are sick.

And people around here are confused as to why we haven't been able to get this under control.

Comment

• Yeah. Vaccines help with resistance; this thing is too new to know much more for sure.

Quoth csquared View Post
                              Personally, I am hoping that masks become fashionable and in the future, more people continue to wearing them during flu season.
                              They're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Quoth Arcus View Post
                              And people around here are confused as to why we haven't been able to get this under control.
                              Still plenty of folks who insist that masks must not work because we still have people getting infected...to which I reply that they only work if just about everybody WEARS them properly. I'd say we have more wearing them these days 'round these parts, but still FAR too many leaving their noses sticking out like teeny tiny dongs.

Comment

• I saw a social media post about "80% of people wear masks, and the infection rate is rising. Masks don't work."

Yeah, I stomped on that one real quick. "80% of people claim to wear masks, but many of those are only wearing them out to the grocery store, not to parties or large indoor family gatherings."

I swear, it really makes me want to shake some people like a paint-can-mixer, in hopes that it will jump-start their brain into working.
                                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                                X