Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, I meant "why does the college have to pay this" thinking the college was your company, ... However, I also understand why spending money for a mil contract too cos it can be a benefit to the college as well.

be aware though - if there's no railings on these bunk beds they'll probably ask for those too.

back in boot camp we were told that our bunks had railings because someone once sleptwalked and fell out & was severely injured. dunno if that was true or just something they told us to scare us to not move around much on the top bunk

my first college had something similar - a contract with the professional football team from one of the neighboring cities for summer football training. i still remember in my English class we had to do a guessing game where we said two things that were true, and one that was false - other students had to guess which was false... One of the girls said "<football star so and so> slept in my bed." and it turned out to be true - he'd been assigned her dorm room over the summer.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Unscrew the fan blades.

Leave the motors.

Comment

I've accidentally (and purposefully) stuck my hands into running fans before. It doesn't really hurt, most of the time your fingers glance off the angled part of the blade so you don't even get the impact. When you do get a full impact, it's still usually not enough to even leave a bruise much less break even the most delicate of the bones in your hand. That's pretty ridiculous.

Comment

I'm sorry, if they're that rock-chewing stupid, then quite honestly, they shouldn't be allowed anything more dangerous than an.. you know, I don't think there is anything that wouldn't be dangerous to them.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            Option 2:
            Remove the little pull chain that turns the fan on. This allows people to use the light switch to turn the light on, but they can't access the fan. When they leave, reattach the chain. To ensure no on gets tempted to get creative and try to pull a little three-ball length of chain, stick a piece of something like poster tack to the last ball and tuck it into the hole in the fan. When they leave, fish the chain back out and reattach the longer pull chain.
            Winrar!

Personally, I'd rather have a good box fan or floor fan for cooling than a ceiling fan. Kinda hard to stick your hands in those.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
              The college I work at won a contract with the state's Department of Corrections to host it's training of future corrections officers. Since this is statewide, they rented an entire building of our student apartments. But they needed some things changed.

Then it was the locksets. We use key cards on the apartments since they are so easy to reprogram and replace, but for some reason these were unacceptable for them. So we had to replace all the locksets on their one building with keyed locksets, and this time we had to pay for the change.

But the most recent "request" was ridiculous!

They want all the ceiling fans removed from their apartments.

Why? Because they are afraid a cadet will accidentally put their hands up in them.

Presumably the college will be making money from the training and dorm rental. The big question is: will they be making ENOUGH to cover the costs that the changes to the dorms are imposing on the college? More importantly, will it be enough to cover the opportunity costs (i.e. money that could be earned from tuition and rent paid by "normal" students, but that is foregone because the facilities that the "normal" students would have used has been allocated to the DOC)? If "yes", then it's part of doing business with a profitable but demanding customer. If "no" (i.e. the college would be better off financially if it dealt with only "normal" students, and not the DOC), the proper answer is "You're expecting US to pay for these changes to the dorms? In that case, we're withdrawing our bid to provide the training, so now you don't need the dorms."

How can key cards NOT be secure enough? If a key is compromised, it's a simple reprogramming - with physical keys, a compromised key needs the lock rekeyed. As for needing to remove the ceiling fans, if the cadets are too stupid to keep their hands out of the fans, they're too stupid to be trusted with guarding prisoners.

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
              Because the "Fiscal Cliff" and now the "Sequester" have inflicted big hits on the college's funding. They are not allowing ANY money to be spent right now.

The girls Basketball team made it to the NJCAA Tournament and they are trying to figure out if they can afford the gas to drive to Kansas. They actually considered not going.
              Wouldn't it be a laugh if everyone except the "home" team for the tournament decided that due to spending restrictions, they couldn't afford to go to the tournament, and announced that? In your case, the tournament is in a NEIGHBOURING STATE. Just looked at my atlas, and the longest possible distance from point "A" in Oklahoma to point "B" in Kansas and back is roughly 1000 miles. A basketball team could be carried in a 15 passenger van, which (recent models) gets around 20 MPG on the highway. That means they're debating over whether they can afford 50 gallons of gas.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                I'm sorry, if they're that rock-chewing stupid, then quite honestly, they shouldn't be allowed anything more dangerous than an.. you know, I don't think there is anything that wouldn't be dangerous to them.
                Sounds like breathing and walking at the same time would be dangerous for those folks, sorry to say.

Even worse, I think some of my coworkers are related . . .
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  Even worse, I think some of my coworkers are related . . .
                  Vewy, vewy closely related. The number of unique anincestors in each preceding generation "n" is << 2ⁿ.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                  X