This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First sold-out night of the year...

Things are starting to pick up. We had a bazillion and one things going on at the university, as well as some sort of race, and the whole county was booked. Last night was just a taste of what's in store probably from now through October. My thoughts in italics.

Timey wimey stuff
    2 women come in.

Them: "We need a room for tonight."
    Me: "Do you have a reservation?"
    Them: "No, but we did last night. We were in room [number]."
    Me: And your point is? "I have one room left, but it only has one queen bed in it."
    Them: "Oh no! But you had two rooms last night?"
    Me: ...and your point is?

No, for realz

*phone rings*
    Me: [spiel]
    SC: "Do you have any rooms left tonight?"
    Me: "I'm sorry, but I am completely sold out."
    SC: "What? Are you serious?"
    Me: No, I'm not. I have dozens of rooms left and I'm not selling them because f**k making money. "I am. I am full for tonight."
    SC: "No last-minute cancellations? No reservations that haven't shown up yet? No emergency holds?"
    Me: "All my rooms are occupied."
    SC: "F**k!" *click*

Entitled arsehole

*SC calls the front desk*
    Me: "Hello, front desk."
    SC: "Yeah, I'm just calling to let you know I'll be down in a minute to pay for a couple more nights."
    Me: "One moment while I make sure that room is available for tonight. We're very full this weekend, so please hold on."
    SC: "Well, I have too much luggage, so I'm not going to be moving."
    Me: If someone else already has that room booked, then yes, yes you are.

Unfortunately I did have that room available for another night so I had to rent it to him. Part of me wishes I didn't; I think I would have enjoyed kicking his butt out of here with that kind of attitude.

Okay....why do I care?

Not exactly related to being sold out: SC last night wants a room. I told him I didn't have anything available. He asks if I will have any cancellations at 6pm (we hold non-guaranteeds until 6). I told him I couldn't promise anything but it was a possibility, and I gave him our card and told him to call right at 6.

Rather than leave, SC then proceeded to tell me how he was checking in at another [our brand] and they insisted on getting his phone number (FTR: we are strongly encouraged to get phone numbers for guests, but it is not a requirement to rent to them). The conversation went on for like 10 minutes with him telling me this story and is too long to dictate here, but the points were:

1) He told the clerk he did not want to put down a phone number and the clerk refused to rent to him without a phone number.

2) He told the clerk that they weren't legally allowed to ask for a phone number, and he told the clerk he would put down the phone number of a brothel in Vegas, and the clerk told him he couldn't do that.

3) He then started bragging about how many lawsuits he's won against companies and how he carries around the settlement checks, and told the clerk that the motel had a legal obligation to rent to him.

4) He made the clerk call the GM at 2:30 in the morning (when this occurred) and reiterated all of the above to the GM...at 2:30 in the morning.

5) He had an audio-recorder on him, and he told the clerk that when the clerk supposedly told the GM a different story.

The whole story was said in this smug, boastful tone, and I was thinking Why the f**k are you telling me all this? And why are you freely admitting you know by heart the phone number of a shady brothel? Go away. It took about 10 minutes because guests with reservations kept coming in, and I would check them in, and this SC would just stand there and then continue the story after I was done with the guest.

I'm dubious of his claims, since (1) I'm not aware of any law saying we can't require a phone number, and I've read pretty much all the motel/lodging-related legalese, and (2) if he's really the legal hot shot he claims to be, he would know that his supposed audio-recording he made of the clerk wasn't legal, since in this state the party being recorded must be aware they are being recorded in order for it to be legal and he didn't tell the clerk until after the fact.

At 6pm, I cancelled my non-guaranteed rooms. SC called back and reserved a room. I gave him a room on the highway side in the middle of a group block...a group of rather loud teenagers that were running up and down the balcony. Hope he had a restful sleep...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post

he told the clerk he would put down the phone number of a brothel in Vegas,
    We want your number not your Mom's.
    Hope he had a restful sleep...

Well played
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

I gave him a room on the highway side in the middle of a group block...a group of rather loud teenagers that were running up and down the balcony. Hope he had a restful sleep...
      When will people realize that it's in their best interest to be nice to the people that deal with their food, or have input on where/if they stay somewhere for a night.

This fall I had to cancel a reservation at a hotel near the Seattle Center. Medical issues made it so that we had to cancel our trip. Unfortunately, I called after the cutoff date to cancel, but I talked to them, explained the situation, and they were able to cancel it for me. If they wouldn't have been able to do it, I would have just eaten the cost, since I try not to be a SC.

Next time we travel up to your area, I'll shoot you a PM about lodging
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I dunno bhskittykatt, I don't think I would have rented to that last guy at all.

Oh, and third story would have had the rate jump a bit on him.

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

SC called back and reserved a room. I gave him a room on the highway side in the middle of a group block...a group of rather loud teenagers that were running up and down the balcony. Hope he had a restful sleep...
          Almost sounds like you work at the same hotel as KhirasHY! Or is this just Idiotic Teenager Season?
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Oh dear God I feel your pain with the sold out nights... every Saturday night since Christmas has been sold out for us... and not looking like it's changing.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

3) He then started bragging about how many lawsuits he's won against companies and how he carries around the settlement checks, and told the clerk that the motel had a legal obligation to rent to him.
              Really? Most people I know CASH those checks for the damages/compensation they claimed in their suit, but if HE does it only for the "trophies" to display... well, to each his own.

And I love it when people make up "laws" - like a hotel having some "legal obligation" to rent its rooms to anyone.
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

His "settlement" stories stink of the "I am a LAWYER!!!!!" bullcrap. IF he's ever done one at all, I'm willing to bet it was over something small and looooong ago that won him maybe a few hundred or thousand bucks. He was just trying to put one over on the clerk.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                  Really? Most people I know CASH those checks for the damages/compensation they claimed in their suit,
                  You caught that too. As that's taxable, I'm sure the IRS will gladly cash the checks for him.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

5) He had an audio-recorder on him, and he told the clerk that when the clerk supposedly told the GM a different story.
                    Which pretty much means he's possibly recording you too. Which means you can say that you don't consent to being recorded and that you will be disconnecting the call.

cos even in "one party consent" states there's nothing that says the other party is obliged to stay on the phone once they know.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      Which pretty much means he's possibly recording you too. Which means you can say that you don't consent to being recorded and that you will be disconnecting the call.
                      Disconnect what call? He was standing there right in front of her.

Rather than leave, SC then proceeded to tell me how he was checking in at another [our brand] and they insisted on getting his phone number (FTR: we are strongly encouraged to get phone numbers for guests, but it is not a requirement to rent to them). The conversation went on for like 10 minutes with him telling me this story and is too long to dictate here, but the points were:
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

One of my (many) pet peeves is being asked, are you serious? when I answer any question. Did I stutter, fool? GTFO of here! And when people don't want to give out their info is irritating. Make something up, I don't care! I'm asking cuz it's my job, I'm not going to track you down and kill you! SMH.
                        Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                        The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I feel your pain, we had all the teenagers too. We had 3 nights of teams this week-it was hell. I always love when people act so insulted that you don't have a room for them when they didn't make a reservation and just walk in. We have had a lot of workers plus a lot of park and fly people so we have pretty much been sold out 95% of the time for the last 6 months, and people will come in on a Wednesday and can not-will not- believe I don't have a room. Or if I happen to have one room left then they want to haggel about the rate-not happening. On the plus side, one night we had a guy whose car got broken into, and he didn't act like we were evil and responsible because we let it happen. He actually said "I know it's not your fault" Oh my God were did this guy come from and can we clone him!
                          "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

Working...
                          X