X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of a Show Rabbit's career.

An odd sighting; not sure where it fit.

Went to a farm show this weekend and looked at the rabbits; hoping to contact breeders to buy stock at some point.

There was a beautiful spotted French Lop female who won Best in Breed. The Owners were packing her up while I was there and they noticed something.

Apparently, the rabbit in the cage next to her chewed-off an inch of her right ear at some point after the showing! (the cages had 1 1/2 in square wire walls)

The Owner was pissed, as she had already entered her in another show next week; even if it heals, apparently she'll now only be good for breeding or sale.

She was beside a particular 'Senior Buck' that, as I heard her and other owners discussing, has a bad attitude, and suspected it was this rabbit that did the damage.

I wonder if owners buy some sort of insurance against damage of their show animals, as for some it might be a livelihood.

I noticed some people put solid walls in their cages; I think that would have been better for a rabbit with such long ears that could poke through the cage.

Poor bunny, not her fault she got nommed.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I think that's why at the county fair around here each space for cages are separated by moveable walls.

Comment

Ouch. That's gotta suck for the poor spotted lop. I can understand the owners anger about it though. I have a gorgeous grey and white mini-lop that nearly went the show route, and if that had happened to him, I'd be more than a little furious. Thankfully, I got to him before he got put through that sort of stress, and now he just enjoys running all over myself, my son, and our desks.

Insurance would definitely help to cover the vet bills in regards to this, but that is small comfort to someone who shows their pride and joy. At least she can still breed though. Might get a better one out of it.

I would've thought solid walls between cages would be standard.
      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Working...
      X