This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That's what employees are for"

I sooooo wanted to kick this lady. I was doing a little shopping as a guest at my current place of employment (left midway, switched to register-jockeying). In the middle of a crowded store, I'm trying to browse, when I hear this couple behind me.

Somehow, the lady knocked some shirts to the floor. I'm not sure if she mishung the hanger, if it was an accident, or if she did it on purpose... but I hear this:

Guy: You should pick that up.
    Lady: Hell no. That's what the employees are for.

I. Hate. That. Attitude.

Every time a worker has to stop and clean up after asshattery like that, they are taken away from providing customer service and other customers have trouble finding the things they want. That's totally ignoring the price repercussions of merchandise being damaged through this idiocy.

One of the few times I don't discipline my kids for being rude to adults is when they see stuff like this. They stop, pick up the fallen item to put it back, and make a comment about how someone's parents didn't teach them very good manners.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Would love to see an employee start to clean up and then have Mrs Speshul Snowflake ask for some help/service.

Employee: "I'm sorry, madam, I have to get this cleaned up first. That's what employees are for."

And then a niiice loonnnnng time about it.

Comment

I make it a point to emphasize with my son that the employees work very hard to keep the stuff on the shelves neat and tidy.

I'm sure many of you emphasize this to your offspring as well. But then again, we're not SCs.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I saw similar at the mall with parents and their kids. The kids were actually attempting to clean up food or trash they'd spilled and the parents dragged them away spitting "No, that's what THOSE PEOPLE (nodding head at housekeeping) are paid to do!"
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I really hate that attitude, cuz you just know that later on when those people are waiting in a queue spitting teeth cuz there isn't another cashier put on, they don't realise that if they'd tidied up their mess, there would be! That other worker is cleaning up the mess they made so therefore can't come and help serve!
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Where I work a CW was telling how some lady who had just messed up what she had straightened told her that was job security. I would've wanted to tell the lady that, "No, job security is when you actually go to the registers and buy something.".
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                I really hate that attitude, cuz you just know that later on when those people are waiting in a queue spitting teeth cuz there isn't another cashier put on, ...
                Or pissing about how the store is a pigsty.

Noooo, it couldn't possibly be because they dropped their paper towels on the bathroom floor, knocked clothes off the rack, left a stack of pants in disarray, put the carton of ice cream they decided not to buy on the shelf in the bread aisle, or dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce and walked away from the mess without a backward glance.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  Would love to see an employee start to clean up and then have Mrs Speshul Snowflake ask for some help/service.

Employee: "I'm sorry, madam, I have to get this cleaned up first. That's what employees are for."

And then a niiice loonnnnng time about it.
                  Like in this story :

http://notalwaysright.com/giving-cus...the-slip/11973

Comment

I corrected a mother in a parking lot about this. Overheard her stopping her son who was taking a shopping cart to the corral that "It gives employees something to do." Told the kid that Xstore's employees have plenty to do, and putting things away helps everyone. Cue CBF from mom.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      I corrected a mother in a parking lot about this. Overheard her stopping her son who was taking a shopping cart to the corral that "It gives employees something to do." Told the kid that Xstore's employees have plenty to do, and putting things away helps everyone. Cue CBF from mom.
                      ^This. At the supermarket, people are always whinging about the lack of trolleys available. Which makes me want to say that if customers weren't so stupid and lazy, and put their trolleys back, there would be more. It takes the trolley boys far longer to walk all round the car park collecting stray trolleys than to simply collect them from the trolley park.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                        Where I work a CW was telling how some lady who had just messed up what she had straightened told her that was job security. I would've wanted to tell the lady that, "No, job security is when you actually go to the registers and buy something.".
                        Oh, I hear that damned "job security" arguement and it ticks me off every time!
                        Quoth XCashier View Post
                        "Yeah, I'm making a mess, but it's your job security!" cry the SCs. No, no it's not, and I'll tell you why. We only have so many payroll hours a week. The vast majority of which have to be spent serving customers, with only a few allotted for cleaning. The horrid mess the store is in is well beyond the cleaning hours we have. If we spend more time cleaning, there's less time to serve customers. If customers don't get speedy service, they walk out without buying anything. If too many customers walk out, we don't make enough money and our hours get cut. So no, you trashing the store =/= job security.
                        The SCs just do not think about the repercussions of their actions. They don't think about the time and money spent cleaning up after their slobbish selves, they don't give a shit that the employees are being run ragged trying to make the store presentable and serve the customers at the same time. They don't even consider that if someone went to their place of work and trashed it like they're trashing ours, they'd be royally pissed, but we're expected to just roll over and take it with a smile. Because they're the Almighty Customer, and The Customer Is Always Right.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          :
                          The SCs just do not think about the repercussions of their actions.
                          (Or do and don't care.) I also think they don't really understand just how deeply payrolls have been cut in the last decade or two. To them, since there are employees visible, and since they get waited on, they think everything is the same. They have no idea that those FOH people are doing double/triple duty these days. The cashier may be a cart wrangler "when there's time" or the stock room now does the parking lot, etc. It ain't Mr. Sandman in Back to the Future time any more.

Comment

The cart thing drives me nuts... especially when they dump their carts in the middle of a spot (usually the one I want to park in )... no more than two spaces away from the dang cart corral. The world is full of so much lazy...

Back on the midway, I didn't have to deal with such attitude first hand very often. I think the cake from the midway, though, was the morons who would look at my prize bins, and sneak their trash into them when (they thought) I wasn't looking... kicker was that there was a trash can in plain sight two steps to the right...

Comment

Once some moron stuffed a pound of deli ham in amongst the magazines... literally two steps away from Customer Services where someone could have taken the ham and returned it to the deli! So one pound of ham and countless magazines had to be trashed cuz someone was too lazy and stupid to do the decent thing.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X