This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Customers Have No Respect

We tried to do some shopping yesterday. Had a few gift cards to use. The hardware store was easy. Then we tried Old Navy. At one point, I actually exclaimed (not really loudly and not to anyone in particular), "What kind of disgusting slobs have been shopping here?!"

I didn't buy anything. I wanted to, but I just couldn't do it. Every shelf I looked at (and I do mean EVERY shelf--clearance, sale, or normal) was a mess.

All the clothes had been picked up, handled, and just tossed back on the shelf. The sweaters were no longer organized by color or size--they were jumbled every which way, and I think only one was still folded. Same story with the pants and the other shirt shelves. At the clearance racks, some clothes had been dropped on the floor; others had been removed from their hangers and then draped over the rack.

I actually watched one lady look at a shirt, crumple it up, and toss it on the table behind her. And what could I say to stop her? It was painfully obvious that dozens of customers before her had done exactly the same thing.

And then there was the food. I've seen empty drink cups on shelves before. Disgusting, but not uncommon. Maybe somebody just forgot. But at this place, it looked deliberate. I counted seven in the men's clothing section alone, most of which still had plenty of coffee or soda or whatever still in them.
    Bag of chips spilled under the rack of workout pants? Check.
    Half-eaten hamburger on a shelf that used to hold polo shirts? Check.
    Pile of greasy used napkins stuffed between stacks of jeans? Check.

It was obvious it was just slovenly customers, too. All the employees were busy with some legitimate task. Either they were overworked or understaffed or both. It was probably all they could do to keep all their stock from becoming piles of dirty laundry all over the floor, let alone re-fold and re-stock.

I left. I couldn't stand it. I'll have to go back some day when it's not quite so busy and try again, maybe in the morning before my fellow shoppers have a chance to ruin everything for me.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

BTDT. Far too many customers have the mindset of "that's what the staff is for!" They do not have any respect for the store or its workers. They see nothing wrong with completely trashing a place, assuming the workers will clean up after their slovenly selves. They sometimes even do it while a staff member is cleaning that section!!!

Yes, it is awful, and depressing. Basic common sense and decency seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
    Last edited by XCashier; 12-29-2013, 07:31 PM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My biggest pet peeve of working in retail. we fold with clipboards so I certainly don't expect customers to fold it perfectly, or know how we clip nad hang. But really? is it too much to ask to at least hang it back up, or fold it neatly?? Makes our job so much easier.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
        ... we clip nad ...
        Sounds like a great idea! Is it legal?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Oh, if only. It would keep them from proliferating, at least.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
            I actually watched one lady look at a shirt, crumple it up, and toss it on the table behind her. And what could I say to stop her? It was painfully obvious that dozens of customers before her had done exactly the same thing.
            You couldn't stop her but you could've put her in her place by saying, "My god woman, were you raised in a cave?", stare at her like she's a complete and utter idiot than walk away while shaking your head. Of course this would go over her head since she's obviously a brainless cow. *My apologies to the world's four hoofed cows*
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I would've been tempted to hand the shirt back to her and say, "You dropped this," accompanied by an icy death glare.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My mom works in a tourist center. They sell knick knacks, t-shirts, and other stuff. The employees have to keep a constant watch on the merchandise because people refuse to put things back where they found them. They will stand and watch as the t-shirts are reorganized and folded then go right to them and wad them right back up.

Comment

This stuff isn't new, and you read more and more about this kind of thing every day. I've seen people take a jacket off a rack, take the hanger off it, try the jacket on, decide they don't want it, and then just lay it over the rack without putting it back the way they found it. "That's what the staff is for!"

Comment

I suck at folding. My dresser can attest to that. But, I put things back as neatly as I can.

Comment

Sounds like every day at Old Navy around here, along with the Deb shop and Victoria's Secret Pink store.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        They do not have any respect for the store or its workers.
                        Or their fellow shoppers.

Comment

Be glad it's not prom season. One thing I've heard of (fortunately never seen - or had to clean up after) is that some entitled young women don't want anyone else wearing the same dress to the prom. How do they guard against that happening? Once they've selected a dress, they'll take ALL of that style to the fitting room, set aside the one that fits - and pee on the others. After all, rendering a half-dozen (at least) dresses unsaleable is a small price to pay in order to ensure that no "duplicate" shows up at their prom.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                            My biggest pet peeve of working in retail. we fold with clipboards .
                            Oh, so THAT'S how it's done! I'd always wondered. I've never been able to fold that neatly.

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Only between consenting adults.

Ouch

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Be glad it's not prom season. One thing I've heard of (fortunately never seen - or had to clean up after) is that some entitled young women don't want anyone else wearing the same dress to the prom. How do they guard against that happening? Once they've selected a dress, they'll take ALL of that style to the fitting room, set aside the one that fits - and pee on the others. After all, rendering a half-dozen (at least) dresses unsaleable is a small price to pay in order to ensure that no "duplicate" shows up at their prom.
                            WTF! OMG. Please tell me you catch these bitches and press charges.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I hope someone catches those bitches and presses charges against them. Or, better yet, I like to think of someone showing up to prom in the same dress as one of those EW's that were purchased at a different store, as the look on the face of the person who peed on a bunch of dresses would be priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X