This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft my ass

So in the last few months I've had a couple of customers who have received phone calls from "Microsoft" saying that their computer is infected and sending out viruses... and they will happily remotely connect and fix the problem for you! Isn't that helpful!

It's all bullshit, of course... it's some group of scumbags from another country who literally go right through the white pages calling each person and hoping they fall for their schpiel... which results in their data getting hijacked and their computer getting infected with god knows what.

I've gotten a couple such calls myself... I try to have fun with them... tell them I have an Apple computer (I don't) and ask why Microsoft is contacting me about an Apple. The last time the guy stammered some reason but finally realized I was onto him and hung up.

Next time they call me I'm going to tell them I'm an FBI agent and the call is being traced. What're they gonna do - have me arrested?

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this nonsense and if you had any fun messing with the scammers.

Mom had them for almost a hour once before she said she didn't have a computer.

Comment

I actually got one of those calls! I told them no and hung up.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My mom got one of those when I was visiting. She knows enough about computers to send email and surf the 'net but that's it. She had no idea what the guy was talking about and said 'Here, talk to my son, he does computers for a living.' There was no one on the line when I got the phone. Busted.
        A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

My boyfriend's mother had thie exact thing, but it was supposedly the ISP calling.

And be careful, I'm sure imperonating an FBI agent can actually get you arrested if the scammers know that and report you.

I will tell them the truth if they call me. I use Linux.
          Last edited by Silent-Hunter; 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I just turn them over to Mrs. Crossbow... who HAS worked for Microsoft. That revelation usually gets them to hang up fast...
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I've had a few customers who initially called to report a billing dispute but I ended up transferring to our fraud department because of this scam. The story is always the same: they got a call from "Microsoft," the "tech" told them they had viruses on their computer and promised to fix it (for a nominal fee, of course), so they authorized their credit card for the "repair" services. Now their computer is worse off than before, and they can't get anyone from "Microsoft" to return their calls.

All of the customers have been elderly, and they feel very ashamed for falling for the scam. I've heard a lot of, "How could I be so stupid?" I try to reassure them that it's not their fault, but it makes me sad that some criminal made them feel that way in the first place.
              Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                And be careful, I'm sure imperonating an FBI agent can actually get you arrested if the scammers know that and report you.
                Right, I can see this happening...

"I was impersonating a Microsoft representative and committing electronic fraud when he responded saying he was an FBI agent! Arrest them!"

That will sure work out well for them.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  Mom had them for almost a hour once before she said she didn't have a computer.

Your mom rules!

Comment

My boyfriend has has some fun with the Western Union Scammers at work. Basically the same thing but Western Union NEVER calls so it's easy to pick up a scammer, if they called they are a scammer.

He even had one try and pull "I'm making an honest living! You don't know what it's like living in a third world country!" Yea... That didn't go over well with him, he grew up on a reservation in Canada. "I grew up on the reservation! It's a third world country inside a first world country try that f**ker!"

He's actually rather surprised they haven't taken that store off the auto dialer yet...

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      Right, I can see this happening...

"I was impersonating a Microsoft representative and committing electronic fraud when he responded saying he was an FBI agent! Arrest them!"

That will sure work out well for them.
                      You make a good point! I myself will still play it safeand mess with them in other ways.

Come to think of it, yeah they'd get in trouble, but you might as well.

Comment

FBI? Uncle Ho and Chairman Mao are friends and they're coming over for dinner. <click>

(... files on ape. actions on tape. dramas on tape ...)
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

They used to call here periodically - I told them we were definitely not interested and not to call again. A few months ago, they made the mistake of calling here again. I went off. "Now listen here Hadji - I told you before not to call here again and you were obviously too stupid to listed to my demand. Now you will give me your name, company name and address and your personal address and phone number. I am sure that all that info will be required when I file a harrassment suit against you and your company." Rude little SOB hung up on me and hasn't called back
                          "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I used to keep a book beside the phone and begin reading it at them. You see, they're not supposed to hang up unless they get caught out as scammers etc. But sadly the furthest I ever got was four pages in before they hung up. *sad sigh*

On the up side, since moving to a house without a landline phone, I haven't had a single call!
                            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

my brother tech_monkey had one on a work cell, he had some fun with that guy. i only heard his side as i was sliding down the wall holding my sides laughing.
                              This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                              my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X