X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should have stayed in school

Overheard at work today

Customer is asking the electrician to put a potlight, with a 5 1/2" box around it, in an outside ceiling, in a 2x8 (7 1/2" deep) that requires 2" ventilation clearance and a minimum of 5" insulation in it. Electrician is explaining to the customer why putting the light there requires a drop ceiling. Customer will not have that. Electrician explains why he can't put that light there. Customer goes on an extremely sarcastic rant ending with

Customer: Why, why can't you do that? Is it against the law? Are the police going to come and arrest you? Is that why you won't do it? It's against the law right?
    Electrician: Only the laws of physics
    Customer: So what happens when you break those?
    Electrician: The earth falls out of orbit, crashes into the sun, and everyone dies.
    Customer: Oh......
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Can you say, surface mount fixture?

Comment

Surface mount - completely unacceptable. Potlights are an absolute must, denoting status, class, financial superiority and large penis size. More potlights, more, MORE!

We now see potlights by the dozens in tiny rooms, and by the hundreds (literally) in a normal size house (say 2500 sq ft). I assume it`s because they are annoying to install, don't work as well or for as long as surface mount, and are a huge waste of electricity, but I may be missing something there.
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Heh.

In a few years I predict we'll be seeing surface-mount LED fixtures about a half-inch thick, and they'll be all the rage.

The "pot lights" you're talking about aren't any worse than surface-mount, really; in both cases, there are all sorts of different quality units available. They may make for a certain appearance. They do indeed have efficiency problems, as they tend to displace insulation.

In the case of the SC, I think they've started making LED-only recessed lighting, which because of the small size and low heat, are easier to put in that sort of situation, requiring no ventilation or insulation. Lots more money though.

Comment

Love the electrician's response.

I had no idea pots were a trendy thing. Kind of like track lighting was back in the 60's/70's?

Comment

LOL his response made me literally laugh out loud.

Comment

Working...
            X