This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words not to put in a patient chart

This is a Sighthing. One of my students told me today about a "staff huddle" regarding the proper terminology to use when describing nasty infection drainage: purulent, in case anyone is wondering.

One should not use the word pussy, especially when describing the purulent drainage from an abscessed labia.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    This is a Sighthing. One of my students told me today about a "staff huddle" regarding the proper terminology to use when describing nasty infection drainage: purulent, in case anyone is wondering.

One should not use the word pussy, especially when describing the purulent drainage from an abscessed labia.
    It's important to use correct terminology when communicating with colleagues. For some reason, I have a bad mental image about this.

An abscessed labia sounds incredibly painful. I thought having an abscess on my finger was bad.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Heh, the terminology was technically correct. Just...unfortunate wording. "Pussy discharge", in this particular instance, would be correct either way you choose to look at it...

I'll...just be over here in the gutter. *coughs*

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
        Heh, the terminology was technically correct. Just...unfortunate wording. "Pussy discharge", in this particular instance, would be correct either way you choose to look at it...

I'll...just be over here in the gutter. *coughs*
        Leave me some room.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

I've seen some odd stuff in notes, but never that. LOL

On a more serious note:
          As a coder I believe 3 things about documentation:
          1. Never put anything in a note you wouldn't want read out loud in open court (this applies more to psychiatry, but all disciplines would be wise to remember this).
          2. Never put anything in a note that would be inappropriate for an auditor to see (personal opinions, etc..if a patient is upset, say they're upset...if you have to answer the same question several times, say you had to answer the same question several times).
          3. Never put anything in a note you wouldn't want a patient to see.

Always stick to the facts, with CORRECT medical terminology. Anything not medical terminology the patient tells you should be in quotation marks in the Review of Systems and noted that it is per patient report.

"Purulent" or "pus-filled" would be preferable here, indeed.

Keeps, you know, minds out of the gutter and me from doing a double take when I have to read the note. #justsayin'

Sapphire Silk, do you agree?

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
            Leave me some room.
            It's getting crowded in here again. Do I need to go on another beer run?
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Hermione View Post
              I've seen some odd stuff in notes, but never that. LOL

On a more serious note:
              As a coder I believe 3 things about documentation:
              1. Never put anything in a note you wouldn't want read out loud in open court (this applies more to psychiatry, but all disciplines would be wise to remember this).
              2. Never put anything in a note that would be inappropriate for an auditor to see (personal opinions, etc..if a patient is upset, say they're upset...if you have to answer the same question several times, say you had to answer the same question several times).
              3. Never put anything in a note you wouldn't want a patient to see.

Always stick to the facts, with CORRECT medical terminology. Anything not medical terminology the patient tells you should be in quotation marks in the Review of Systems and noted that it is per patient report.

"Purulent" or "pus-filled" would be preferable here, indeed.

Keeps, you know, minds out of the gutter and me from doing a double take when I have to read the note. #justsayin'

Sapphire Silk, do you agree?
              Oh absolutely! In fact, your advice is routinely taught to both nursing and medical students, who promptly forget and fill charts with all kinds of stuff they shouldn't. I do legal nurse consulting on the side; you would not believe what I see people chart, or hear them say in deposition.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I keep it extremely detached and professional, except for when quoting patients. I give people lots of leeway for pain and dementia, but if someone becomes threatening to self or others, is racist, sexual, or just plain obnoxious when they're fully oriented, I am quite happy to transcribe what they say.

Some of these patients, I dream of being able to quote them in court.

Comment

Then let me introduce you to my colleague who treated a patients gash on her, um...
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                    It's getting crowded in here again. Do I need to go on another beer run?
                    After the mental image of an abscessed labia....maybe something stronger.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                    X