X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Viral Crud: I has it

Does I ever.

When the nurse saw "sore throat" on the paper as my reason for coming in, for the third time, to urgent care she said "Oh no, not another one." That's a direct quote. It seems this is one very sick city this winter.

I'm a bit sicker than most. Since my vacation in December I've been dealing with an extremely persistent fungal rash, which was my reason for my other two visits to the urgent care. While that's faded, it's still there. Meanwhile, the sore throat went on for two weeks, at varying intensity, before I went in for that. It would flare up, almost go away, flare up again -- wash, rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile again, I got some sort of eye infection that gummed that eye shut, but which went away with the application of boric acid eyedrops, and I've had what appears to be a cold sore blister pop up on my lip twice -- except that I've never gotten cold sores there before in my life. Up to now, I only got them on my tongue as fever blisters.

So, pretty much I've been miserable since December for one reason or another. If I'm not itching, I'm hurting. But, to take it back to the last doctor's visit, they gave me Flonase and told me to gargle with saltwater, and that was pretty much all they could do for me. I'm approaching the three week mark with this thing, but tonight the sore throat seems fairly tame. I hope what I'm doing is working. Their diagnosis? "That viral crud that's going around," and they said that these wild temperature swings between warm and cold, and damp and dry, are not helping matters one bit. According to the doctors I saw, the viral crud can hang around just as long as it wants to if conditions are right.

Apparently they're right.

So, to recap -- since December I have been dealing with:

-- a fungal rash that won't go away, dealt with by means of antifungal creams and a five-day dose of Diflucan.

-- two apparent cold sores on my lip, plus another one in an unmentionable place, but these could also have been linked to the fungal rash, because they're suspiciously akin to what I suffer when I get a really good yeast infection.

-- an eye infection that cleared up.

-- a fever blister on my tongue.

-- a sore throat that has thus far lasted two and a half weeks, and which had produced a truly awe-inspiring palette of terrible things coughed up.

FML. That is all.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

If this is viral and/or fungal, something to try would be elderberry extract. Works wonders on the shingles outbreaks I get several times a year.

ETA: Sorry you're so miserable.

Comment

Awww, that sound really annoying!

And with viri it means that you just have to tough it out until your immune system deals with it.
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I really, sincerely hope I don't wind up with whatever probably viral stomach bug the niece has. I watched niece and nephew Thursday and Friday. Thursday she didn't have any symptoms of anything (but would have been contagious I'm sure in hindsight). Friday she was sent home from school early because she was running a fever and complaining of severe stomach ache (had her in tears) and did wind up tossing her cookies a couple of times while I had them. I figure I should know by Tuesday at the latest if either me or boyfriend caught it off her.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

The sore throat and snotting went away for two whole days! Count 'em, two!

Then I'll give you three guesses as to what happened next, and the first two don't count.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
            If this is viral and/or fungal, something to try would be elderberry extract. Works wonders on the shingles outbreaks I get several times a year.

ETA: Sorry you're so miserable.
            I cannot recommend unproven home remedies. And we shouldn't be giving medical advice to one another.

ASW: Glad you're feeling better Flu is widespread in our state this year.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
            X