X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading comprehension is a vital life skill

Or "How many ways can we fuck this up?"

Screw up number 1

Two separate referrals were made to physical therapy for my son. One was for an equipment evaluation for a new wheelchair that's more appropriate for an active 13 year old boy and the other was for basic post-op PT for recovery purposes. Somebody in the orthopedist's office decided that they were duplicates, even though they very clearly stated they were for two entirely different things, and only put through the referral for the equipment evaluation. The error was discovered, the nurse lost her shit on the office staff, and the second referral was rushed through.

Screw up number 2

I get the phone call to set up the appointment for the equipment evaluation. This is a complicated appointment that involves the therapist, the child, the parent and a person from the equipment vendor. They confirm that everybody can be there at the appointed time. I'm still waiting to set up the post-op PT when I go to the evaluation appointment this morning. I get there and start talking to the therapist, who seems confused. It was then that we discovered that somebody at the PT office saw the two referrals and decided that the later one was really the one the ortho wanted, even though the notes very clearly said that the referrals were for two different things and they both required separate appointments. The PT office canceled the equipment eval and called the equipment vendor to say they were no longer needed, even though they really were very much needed. The therapist, upon discovering the error, did what she could to handle both issues, but we still had the problem of the vendor not being there. I've worked with this vendor many times and really like them, so I decided to swing by and see what could be done. I needed to go by there anyway because a month ago we'd swapped out the child's old wheelchair for a bigger one, since he'd outgrown the little one he had. Plus, they are literally only a couple hundred feet off my route home, so it wasn't that big of a deal. This leads us to....

Screw up number 3

I get to the vendor and explain what's going on. They check their records and discover that they never had an appointment set up for an evaluation; not even one that had been cancelled. Beyond that, they don't actually go to the PT's office. Their procedure is to wait until the PT recommends a particular piece of equipment, then call the patient to have them come into their office for the measurements and such. Hmmmm. Interesting. The lady at the vendor gets an idea and calls the other major vendor in this area. Turns out that even though the PT office asked me what vendor we use when I'd initially set up the appointment, they still sent the request to the other vendor, and notated the account that the right vendor had been notified, even though they hadn't. Ugh.

Now, at this point, the lady at the vendor's office took pity on me. Even though he didn't have an appointment, she did all the measurements and equipment selection right then. Now we just have to wait for the paperwork to come through. Of course, I have no confidence that it will, because they seem to think that vendor number 2 is the same as vendor number 1, even though they're two completely different companies. I left a message with PT, so here's hoping they get back to me.

The good news is that at the end of this, my little one will get a sweet, custom new sport chair that's all his own. Plus, we've been renting the old chair(s) long enough that the old one is mine to keep, so we have a great post-op chair in the future (the one disadvantage of the sport chair is that it does't have elevating leg rests, so it's not great for post-op).

I'm holding my breath that I don't have to update this with screw up number 4....
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Good luck with the bureaucracy demon.

75% of problems are demon related. I imagine a world where people stop trying to over-think problems and just take care of what they are given. Then I wake up.

We are lucky, my family saves everything, so we still have my grandfathers wheelchair for when my mother gets hip surgery next year.

What does a Sports chair do?
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
      ...What does a Sports chair do?
      Wheelies. Burnouts. Antigravity.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Lol. Well, that, but it's lighter (24 pounds vs. 50), more maneuverable, and smaller. The wheels are placed slightly differently so it's easier to grab them and the arm rests are smaller so it's easier to reach around them.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

My sister loves her sports chair because it's much easier for her to get around in and she doesn't end up getting her sleeves dirty with how the wheels are slanted. That it's much lighter is a definite bonus because our parents are getting up there in age and slinging around a heavier chair is hard on them.

My fingers are crossed that there are no more screws up in your near future! And I'm sure your son will love his new chair when he finally gets it

Comment

Working...
          X