This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotten nasty @$$hole makes me cry

sometimes i wonder if i shouldn't be in customer service at all... because due to events in my childhood i'm extremely sensitive to angry people... BUT... usually i'm so happy cheerful friendly with everyone who walks in the door, i very rarely get any REAL ire aimed directly at me, so normally it's ok.

yesterday was the exception.

so i'd only been at work for maybe an hour or two... and a guy comes in with his family to play mini golf. we tell everyone that if they have 4 people playing, and they keep score, that if they bring the card in to us afterward, we'll initial it and the winner gets a free game next time. golf is only a dollar anyway, but most people seem really pleased to hear this. so anyway, this guy hands me a filled in score card, but it's not signed or initialed or anything, and wants a free game. i forget exactly what i said, but basically i just expressed a little surprise it wasn't signed... guy gets a lil huffy and makes some comment about how he's been coming here for 30 years and has never needed to get his card signed. i responded, still with a slightly confused tone, not a nasty/rude/confrontational tone, that i'd been here for several years now and to the best of my knowledge we've always signed the cards. i kinda shrugged a little, signed the card, shoved it in my drawer, and took the money for the rest of his group. he left, and i figured that was the end of it.

fast forward 45 minutes later. they come in from their game of golf, i did my typical smile and "who won?" routine as they start putting their clubs away. the guy hands me the card to sign, and then starts in on me in that "barely contained fury" quiet but forceful voice "i'm really offended how you treated me earlier. You're accusing me of stealing a dollar when i just spent 500 here." i immediately apologized and tried to say that i wasn't accusing him of anything, and it wasn't my intention to make it sound like i was. he kept on rollin' "You're very rude. it's no wonder you guys are empty*, everyone is so rude here this year." then he made a vague comment about not coming back (even though i'm signing his card for a free game of golf, yeah, sure, never come back my arse... IF ONLY). i kept my head down and finished signing his card, handed it back to him and said "have a nice day, sir." he grabs the card and storms out while saying "Yeah, have a nice day!" in a loud sarcastic voice.

fortunately it was pretty quiet in the office right then, because i think i spent the next 15-20 minutes crying. my husband came in and offered to punch the guy in the jaw. i told him no, i don't want you to get fired. my boss came in and i told him the guy said i was rude, and my boss literally laughed out loud and said "you?? RUDE??" and then laughed again (that should tell ya how i normally treat people XD).

even tho everyone told me 'don't let it get to you' it pretty much ruined the whole rest of my day.

*and as for being "empty"... this is the first weekend in over a month and a half that we haven't been packed to the freaking gills, and even then, every single cabin and lodge was occupied. every single bike (and we have over 20 of them) was rented numerous times yesterday. we had so many golfers out on the mini golf course at the same time that we ran out of clubs, and we filled 3/4 of a notebook page with firewood delivery orders... while it's visually not as full (yes, some sites were unoccupied this weekend) we were far FAR FAR from "empty"

and now that i've had time to think about it, if i really was accusing you of stealing a dollar, i wouldn't have given you the first free game, nor would i have signed your second card, you sanctimonious douche-nozzle. GTFO of my park and never come back! we don't need business from @$$holes like you!
    Last edited by katzklaw; 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM.

Rotten Nasty A$$hole...I wonder if that's the sequel to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?

Comment

Some people are only happy when they're putting other people down. Sorry you ran into him. I'm sure being part of his family is too much fun for words.

Comment

Screw him. I've only cried at work once, at the roofing co. (it was actually a secondary co) It had been a horrible week, my mom was recovering from surgery, and other stuff. A driver threatened to quit over the phone, because I was trying to get him to do his job. Anyway, the roofers saw me and offered retribution, which was nice. But I turned it down.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I hate being yelled at, too. To this day I will flinch if you throw something at me, or over my head - and I'm 62!

The best boss I ever had, had a motto on the wall over her desk: "The customer is always... a bigger asshole than you!"

Another thing I practiced was the "corporate smile." It's a nice smile that doesn't reach your eyes, because you are behind a bullet-proof glass wall. (I practiced in front of a mirror.) Think about when your cat is mad at you, and just lies on the couch and gives you a dirty look? That's who you are, behind the glass wall.

It's great for really pissing SCs off, because your smiling lips say, pleasantly, "I'm sorry you feel that way, sir," while they prove how true Joy's motto is.. . and in the meantime you think up new ways of phrasing expletives that include douche and tiny dick or floppy twat. (We used to say "I bet you could drive a Mack truck* up that." and "big mouth, bigger twat.") Or just repeat my great boss's motto.

Because, if they can't rattle you, it just makes them madder, which, from behind the glass wall, is funnier than hell. And the cameras will show them looking like brainless fools, and you being calm and polite. Then, instead of going to the break room and crying, you go in laughing, and repeat one of your new phrases. "That guy tried so hard to find his tiny prick that he got his head stuck up his ass!"

*Mack is a brand of trucks that pull those big trailers; the combo known as an eighteen-wheeler.
          I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
          - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

I'm sorry he was an asshole. You didn't deserve that. Bad karma heading his way.

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
              fortunately it was pretty quiet in the office right then, because i think i spent the next 15-20 minutes crying.
              Many of us have dealt with an extreme bully of a customer who drove us to tears (others go to the back room and beat the hell out of shipping boxes until they cool down). The one who got to me last year is still talked about today at my job, precisely because she was so vicious.
              Quoth paxillated View Post
              .. . and in the meantime you think up new ways of phrasing expletives that include douche and tiny dick or floppy twat.
              My personal favorite is to send off a particularly nasty customer with "See You Next Time!" It sounds like a friendly farewell, but you know it's not...
              Last edited by XCashier; 08-25-2014, 08:35 PM.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Asshole didn't earn the free game. He forged the card, almost got caught, and was trying to cover his panic at almost getting caught by taking it out on the OP.

What a dick.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Some people are just bullies and like to take it out on others. They'll misconstrue your words and your intentions, however polite and friendly you have been, and make you out to be some kind of monster, just so they can yell.

You're a much better person that him. Don't let him get you down.

Comment

Working...
                  X