This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I TOLD you already: I don't KNOW!

SC: I bought this hard drive yesterday, and it's the right kind of connection for my computer, but it doesn't fit. Why do you think that is?
    Me: I don't know. I thought this kind of connection was a standard.
    SC: Yeah, so did I. That's why I got it. So why won't it fit in my computer?
    Me: I don't know. Maybe your computer has some unusual proprietary connection.
    SC: I don't think that's it. I just want to know why it won't fit.
    Me: I don't know.
    SC: Do you think it might be a special cable made only for that computer?
    Me: Maybe, but without seeing it and without any experience with such a problem, I really don't know.

This went on for another four or five exchanges, folks. How many times do I have to tell him I don't know until he gets it? Whatever the magic number is, I haven't reached it yet. We then moved on to trying to figure out what kind of memory he needs for an upgrade and how he can set up a networked security camera system he could access from home without having a computer at work.

I suggested he go talk to a tech. I suggested he look up some model numbers and get back to me. I suggested he call the manufacturer of his computer. I suggested (again) that he go talk to a tech. No matter how many times I iterated and reiterated that I did not have the answer to his question, he just kept coming at me with the same questions until he tired of them and moved on, never seeming to accept my answer!

I don't know.
    I don't know!
    I don't know!!!
    I DON'T KNOW!!!
    I DON'T KNOW!!!
    I DON'T KNOW!!!

Bah!
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

It's a tactic, they do this so you'll tell them how for free and they won't have to pay for the expense of a techy. They do this to us all the time to walk them through setting up their surround sound. We don't sell or support surround sound systems.

Comment

I absolutely HATE the question "why." Nine times out of ten there either is no answer to the "why" or the answer won't change a damn thing and it just wasting my time and breath.

I worked at a department store in shoes, and one day I got a guy with a thick accent, who I don't think lives in this country...and we didn't have his size in the shoe he wanted. I checked the catalogue, and we didn't carry it there. So, I tried to find him a different shoe, blah blah, did the usual. He insists that I call the manufacturer (florsheim) and order him a pair straight from the factory. I tell him we can't do that. Then he turns into a three year old....

Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! Why!!!!!!

Finally after like 20 minutes of that I go into this long, drawn out, technical explanation of how manufacturers only sell to vendors/business, no to the public and we pre-order our shoes before the season starts in "runs" (a group of sizes from like 7 to 13) and that the factory then begins to make those orders, and you can't just order one pair, and that the factory is probably working on next season's orders anyway, blah blah, on and on and on.

I don't know if everything I said was exactly true, but it sounded technical and it shut him up.
      "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
      "Red."
      "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
      "RED!"
      "..."

Comment

"I don't know" is code for "I do know but I'm not going to tell you." Didn't you get that memo?

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
          "I don't know" is code for "I do know but I'm not going to tell you." Didn't you get that memo?
          No, because he doesn't have right connection for his computer!

(but why? )
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I had one of these types back in my Media Play Days. I was working software and a customer wanted to know which learning software was better, Video Professor or the other brand we carried. I had NO idea which one was since all my comp abilities are self taught. It took 15 friggin' minutes to get him to leave me alone. Drove me up the wall.
            Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

I get that where I work.

SC: Why is the rent higher?
              Me: Because you didn't pay last months rent
              SC: But why is it higher?
              Me: Because you did not pay rent, last month
              Sc: Why?

Repeat 20 times.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                The memo probably came in on one of my off days. I'll hear rumors about it...
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                  I get that where I work.

SC: Why is the rent higher?
                  Me: Because you didn't pay last months rent
                  SC: But why is it higher?
                  Me: Because you did not pay rent, last month
                  Sc: Why?

Repeat 20 times.
                  I get a variation on that all the time

sc- why is the hotel more expensive
                  me- because it is a holiday weekend
                  sc- so why would that make the rate higher
                  me- because it will be busier that weekend
                  sc- but I still don't understand why the rates are higher
                  me- (long drawn out explanation on supply and demand)
                  sc- well that just doesn't make sense, you'll be losing customers
                  -the hotel in question will undoubtedly be on the verge of selling out so we aren't losing anything by having one upset guest.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                  X