This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evil Automatic Doors

This is what happened to a co-worker on sunday. It was hilarious.I will try to explain as best I can

So, we have a switch to the left of the automatic doors,switch it left to close them, switch it up to turn it into a a normal automatic door and right to keep them open.It takes about a minuite for the door to respond.

Co-worker r was trying to close the doors but turned the switch right instead of left.

R wonders why doors aren't closing
    Tries to push them in manaully but is still standing on the sensors where it keep them open.

The door malfunctions and gets it's open and closed command mixed up.
    Doors open and traps r's arm in the little fold in the door

So if I explained this properly, R is now stuck in the fold in the door still standing on the sensors so the door won't close to release her from its grasp but she is too far away to flick the switch.
    co-worker s eventually stops laughing at her and helps her out.

cookies for anyone that understood that.

Edit: forgot to mention the doors are now fixed.
    Last edited by lilstu50; 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM. Reason: forgetfullness

that is funny. I just imagined a slapstick comedy routine. The old black and white silent type.
    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

The doors at The Restaurant are equipped with wheelchair openers. Normally, the doors are operated manually (i.e. pull/push the door to open it, and it closes on a counterweight). There is a button beside the door that when pressed will cause both doors to be pushed open long enough for someone to pass thru, and then close again. We have a 3 position switch behind the bar that allows us to operate the system manually:

OPEN: holds the doors open.
      NORM: normal operation, doors can be opened manually or by pressing the wheelchair button dealie.
      OFF: doors can ONLY be opened by hand.

Anywhoo, the other day, i am behind the bar and i see a wheelchair bound customer heading for the door, so i decide to save the person the trouble of hitting the button (as the doors don't always stay open long enough to get thru), and flick the switch from NORM to OPEN. Wheelchair customer leaves, and i flick the switch back to NORM. Doors close. Few minutes later, my only bar customer leaves, approaches the doors, and is confused when they don't open for him.

Comment

We have a set of doors like that too; they have the push button for handicap access, but can be pushed & pulled like regular doors also. I was making sure they worked one day and timed how long they stay completely open for when you push the button; about 21 seconds, counting slowly.

We had a woman complain to us that as she was walking through these doors they closed on her, knocking her down and began beating her; opening and closing again and again. Complete fabrication on her part it seems, because once the doors begin to shut, if they hit an obsticle they hold still, until the object moves and they can close. Secondly, the doors are very light. Thirdly... you had 21 seconds to get through that door. My guess is she was chit-chatting in the middle of the doorway and the doors started to close on her and she panicked. If she'd hit the button again they would have opened back-up.

Course, it was a week after this 'supposedly' happened that she complained.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

's a load of BS. Those openers don't pull the door shut, they just 'let it close' relying on the doors counterweight to swing it shut. The opener would have no way to even 'know' that the door was obstructed. She was trying to pull a fast one on you.

Comment

Working...
          X