This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calm Man Successfully Buys TV And Denies Walmart Receipt Checkers

Here's another "I bought my stuff, you can't detain me or ask for my receipt" story. Personally, I can't decide whether or not the guy is an idiot.

http://consumerist.com/2011/03/calm-...-checkers.html

I stopped reading after the first 60 or so comments were sort of for or against the whole thing.

Honestly, I would have slapped the dumbass woman who was being a harpy into next week. The guy did show some restraint and didn't draw blood, but I don't like that he was trying to bait the LP guy.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

And I'd like to remind anyone reading this thread that this is not the site on which to decide if the guy was an idiot or not.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Comment

While he may have a point about not being required to show a receipt, is it really worth making that big of a deal about it? You walk from the back of the store with an expensive item, you shouldn't be surprised if they want to check. If I made that kind of purchase I would have the receipt in my hand (I also would be using some kind of cart to carry the TV).
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Why is it so hard to just show the darn receipt? Just show it and you'd be on your way with no stress, much less time lost, etc..?

Me: Actually, state law dictates that once I pay for something, I don't need to show ownership of it. I just paid for this TV, the receipt is in my pocket, but my hands are full, and I don't feel like getting it out. I'm going to leave now, thank you.
        But the merchant also has the right to protect themselves from shoplifters. TECHNICALLY acting like that could be considered "resisting a merchant" (yes, that is a legal term - a merchant believes you stole something, makes a reasonable (non-violent) effort to stop you and you refuse) especially if they have reason to believe that you didn't pay for it.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Uh boy, I can see where this thread is headed.

That said, big props to the man remaining calm and standing his ground, right or wrong.

Comment

For some reason, I simply can't ignore these threads. At least my position is already well documented on Fratching.

here and here in fact.

As for "resisting a merchant", that applies when a merchant is attempting to apprehend a shoplifter. If they're doing that, then we've gone way past bag check issues.

Comment

See, for me, if someone starts spewing "It's the LAW!" I'm going to say "Okay, show me." Maybe it's because of how long I've lived in Missouri, but jeeze.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              While he may have a point about not being required to show a receipt, is it really worth making that big of a deal about it? You walk from the back of the store with an expensive item, you shouldn't be surprised if they want to check. If I made that kind of purchase I would have the receipt in my hand (I also would be using some kind of cart to carry the TV).
              Right, and it makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can also take big purchases like that up to the front to check them out. They don't like it, but they'll do it. I can kinda see where the employee who offered to carry it out for him wanted to do it. You get someone to carry it out, you can not worry about being stopped by someone because you're with someone who works at the store and can vouch that you did in fact buy the item in that department (though I'm sure there are some sneaky ways around that, as in this case, which is semi related).

P.S. didn't mean to start anything, it's just that the seems so..ugh.. he reminds me a lot of my ex. He'd pull this kind of BS too.
              Last edited by fma_fanatic; 03-08-2011, 02:56 AM.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Warning ignored. Thread closed.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                X