This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealing girl scout cookies

Wow. Nice. Thief takes off with a whole haul of girl scout cookies. Now the girls have to make up the difference.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/27111878/detail.html
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

This reminds me of the girl scouts who've been selling their cookies at the swamp the past two weekends. Let's just say I've divested myself of a fair amount of cash in exchange for Thin Mints.

Even though there's always a crowd gathered around the table and the girls and their moms/scout leaders are right there, I've always thought a person could just duck in, grab a few boxes, and run off without paying.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That's what they get for making those things so damned addictive! When confronted with all those Thin Mints, he couldn't help himself!

What? You all KNOW it's true!
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

That's just low. At least here, the cookies are $4 a box. Typically, troops can choose between getting back $0.45/box with prizes, or $0.55/box without prizes. So, if they chose the latter option, that's over 6 boxes they have to sell to make up for each box stolen. It's almost 8 boxes per stolen box if they went with the former option. And that's just to break even...if they were counting on that money to fund a summer camping trip or other activity, they're probably SOL.

Moving thousands of cookie boxes over a season in and out of vehicles is a pain (I was a Girl Scout...technically, I still am since I have a lifetime membership...and I recall the horrors of working in the warehouse moving entire pallets of orders), but this highlights the importance of securing your stock. Don't leave it in the vehicle overnight, and at the sales have your cash in a secured lockbox. (We always had an easy-access box to make change, and would regularly take large sums to the lockbox which we kept out-of-sight.) This is an awful thing that happened to these girls, but it's a lesson learned the hard way.

(As a lifetime Girl Scout, I'm obligated to buy lots of cookies. I'm up to 14 boxes this season, and plan on buying many more...I probably spend well over $100 a season on them. I'm an addict!)
        Last edited by bhskittykatt; 03-08-2011, 04:16 AM.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Remember a year or so ago when two teenage girls stole the $ from a girl selling her cookies; and when confronted, admitted it on tv saying "we, like, didn't have any money to buy stuff and she had all this money so we just, like, took it." How can people do this to kids who are working hard, involved in programs and the community, and just learning? There should be some sort of insurance to protect these kids against being robbed/burglarized, it's not fair to them, or the parents. Someone mentioned homeowners insurance.
          Last edited by LillFilly; 03-09-2011, 01:25 AM.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
          X