This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Standing Right Here!

Had a lady and her pre-teen daughter come through today. The woman completely ignored me throughout the sale, didnt once look at me or acknowledge anything I said. She spoke quietly to her daughter, and even mentioned me one:

"Oh, dont lift that bag, the girl made it too heavy!"

I said "Oh, would you like me to double it, or split it into two bags?" And she ignored me, just reached into my bagging area and took her own bag, as if I wasn't even there.

I thanked her and said "Have a nice day" but she just literally talked over me, to her daughter and walked off.

Not really sucky per se, but really, I'm not a machine, not a droid, not even a self-check out I'm an actual person, standing in front of you, handling your groceries, speaking to you; It's ok to acknowledge me!

Yes, it is sucky. Very sucky. Not only is she being a stuck-up snob and treating you like you're less than human, she's teaching her kid to do the same thing!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I hate that crap. Just like the ones that come to the counter while talking on the phone. They grunt at me what they want, or they point and expect me to read their minds. God forbid they lay down the phone for thirty seconds and acknowledge that I am a fellow human being standing in front of them. And youre right. They are teaching their kids to act this way, so the cycle of SC will never end.

Comment

that was no lady
        there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Ugh. Talking about you behind your back in front of your face is beyond rude.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

To me, being ignored is worse than being spoken to in a rude manner. At least a somewhat verbally abusive person is acknowledging your existence. You're still a lower life form to them but your actually a life form. It's more embarrassing to be ignored than to be yelled at. To me anyways.

Comment

Crappy attitude.

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if I really talk low or not loud enough as i tend to greet people in my line, yet they don't respond. Sometimes I just think that they're having a bad day and do my best to make 'em smile.

If they're really irritable, as in not lifting anything from the cart onto the scanning area, I'll just walk over and scan them myself but leave them in the cart. They question the lack of a bag I say, "Yeah, we just assume that if they leave items in there that they don't want it bagged. That's how most customers are."

Comment

What I hate are customers who will re-pack everything you just bagged right in front of you, often holding up my ability to assist the next customer, instead of just telling me how they wanted it bagged in the first place, or acknowledging my attempts to assist.

Comment

I'm waiting on the day when a company has a life-like android working as a Cashier (think Mr. Data from Star Trek: TNG, except with more realistic skin/eyes), and the customer starts yelling at them...
                    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I hate those customers. I had a customer ignore me and then yell at me for not bagging correctly. When I asked how he wanted his items bagged, he ignored me. I finally told him, sir, you either speak to me so I assist you or you can leave my store. He finally spoke to me and we got everything sorted out. Ugh.
                      No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        I'm waiting on the day when a company has a life-like android working as a Cashier (think Mr. Data from Star Trek: TNG, except with more realistic skin/eyes), and the customer starts yelling at them...
                        Retail did do a comic about a customer service android. I've been trying to find it, but no success so far.
                        Quoth Plankton78 View Post
                        I finally told him, sir, you either speak to me so I assist you or you can leave my store.
                        Nice going, standing up to the snob! Maybe he'll figure out that customer service people are fellow human beings. And maybe
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Nice going, standing up to the snob! Maybe he'll figure out that customer service people are fellow human beings. And maybe
                          He's still a jerk. He still ignores our employees, but if I, and it's only with me, ask him a question regarding his purchase, he'll grunt or point. So. It's a step in guess.
                          No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

I get quite a few people who ignore me and make similar comments to whoever they are with. It's like, if you want me to keep your bags a little lighter or you want me to double-bag them or whatever, just ask me! I am right here! I'd honestly be happy to help you. If someone is on a cell phone, I don't even say hello. I was raised not to interrupt a telephone conversation
                            Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Personally, I don't know what's more infuriating.... being ignored in person.... or being the person at the other end of the phone and they do this crap to-- a person they dialed to for help, by the way!
                              "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Working...
                              X