This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Nice to a Customer Bites Me in the Bum

I hesitated to post this story because the bare facts of the matter are so commonplace. It's something that happens all the time. You sympathize with the customer. You try to help them. And then they go on to repeat the same behavior.

Last month, one of our customers overdrew her checking account. She came in after she got the overdraft notice, saying she didn't know how she could be overdrawn. (I hear this all the time. The most common reasons are an addition or subtraction error or they don't reconcile their checkbook to their statement, ever.) So I helped her figure out how far in the hole she was. Since she didn't have any savings or anything where she could pay back the overdraft, she offered to apply for a loan to cover the overdraft. Actually, she wanted to borrow more than what was needed to cover the overdraft, for some poorly-explained reason.

So I had her fill out an application. I pulled her income off our mainframe (since it was direct deposit). I pulled her credit and saw that it was horrid. She had numerous late payments on maxed-out credit cards. If she had actually been making the minimum payments, she would have been paying almost half her monthly income towards those payments every month. (Normally we prefer to see 41% or less.) Still, I decided to check with Goodhair to see if he would approve the exceptions. He did, on the condition that she agree to automatic payments on the day her social security arrives by direct deposit. She did, so we did the loan for just the amount of the overdraft (including the outstanding checks that hadn't cleared).

I set the first payment for about 45 days out, when her next month's social security would arrive. Her first payment is due this coming Friday. And she's already overdrawn again. I'm not surprised, just disappointed. We try to give customers the benefit of the doubt. We try to work with them whenever possible. Yet almost every time, they repeat the same behavior that got them in trouble in the first place.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

I don't see this person getting any more special treatment from this point on...

Comment

I'm willing to bet that these are the same people who show up at the register and end up having to put half the crap in their cart back (read: me, the cashier, gets to haul it all off to customer service) because they didn't pay attention to how much money they had versus how much crap they piled in their cart. They rinse, dry, and repeat the next day. And the next day, and the next.....
      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

"How can I be overdrawn? I still have checks!!!"
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Is it wrong that I read this title as 'Being Nice to a Customer that Bites Me in the Bum'?... there is no amount of nice that would justify that...
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
            "How can I be overdrawn? I still have checks!!!"
            Ah yes, the classic.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
              I'm not surprised, just disappointed.
              I don't know about anyone else, but as soon as I got to this bit, I found I was reading it in Marvin the Martian's voice.... "I'm not angry... Just terribly, terribly hurt...."
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                Marvin the Martian's voice....
                Brain the size of a planet, and they have me balancing people's checkbooks....
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

LOL! I love Marvin the Martian!!

Ghel, do you have your Marvins confused? You're referring to the Paranoid Android, not the little guy in the skirt and helmet who's always wondering "Where is the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom."

See, I guess I'm weird. I learned early on that credit cards would only get me into trouble. Somehow my brain refuses to process that 'line of credit' does NOT equal how much money I actually have. So, knowing this, I have declined all offers for credit cards over a number of years. I'm also one that keeps a running total of how much the groceries in my cart are going to cost while I'm shopping. I'm usually accurate to within about $5, most of the time with my estimate being about that much OVER what the total actually comes to. I will admit that for several months some years back I ended pretty much every month being overdrawn by $10 to $20. And my bank at the time was, now that I look back at it, really awesome about it; they waived overdraft fees for me several times (at least once without me asking. I saw the overdraft fee appear, sighed resignedly, then was confused a few days later when it disappeared and my balance no longer reflected it.)
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Well, you know what they say; the definition of insanity is doing the same thing every time and expecting a different result. XD

We have our own resident insane customer in Strangewoman, who always turns up during rush hour, always thinks she can jump the queue, is always sent to the back of the line... and will turn up two days later and repeat every single action over again.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                      Ghel, do you have your Marvins confused?
                      Yeah, I did.

Granted, the tone I intended for the "disappointed" bit was a lot more like the paranoid android.
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

I think these people are like compulsive gamblers. They are convinced that one of these days, they're going to beat the odds, and the rush from "winning" is going to be so worth it...

On a side note, the concept of taking out a loan from the same bank that one owes overdraft fees to just....boggles my mind (which has been boggled quite a lot lately, and none of it enjoyably). You just end up owing the same amount of money...no, more, with interest!...to the same place. What's the point?
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"GOD, I'M SO DEPRESSED!"

Comment

Living paycheck to paycheck and hovering on just this side of being overdrawn, is a terrible thing. But I'm sure the excuses get old, hearing them over and over from the same people. My sister is like that. There will be a surprise or emergency (usually her husband being an @$$ and writing checks without caring how may bills are due), and then the big horrible bank is charging bounced fees and refuse to work with her. And I get it, late fees suck. Late fees can cost hundreds of dollars in a flash. But I get really sympathetic the first time it happens. The next few times a surprise happens and you overdraw your account, I just nod and change the subject.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              On a side note, the concept of taking out a loan from the same bank that one owes overdraft fees to just....boggles my mind (which has been boggled quite a lot lately, and none of it enjoyably). You just end up owing the same amount of money...no, more, with interest!...to the same place. What's the point?
                              The customer's credit was just as much crap as her handling of her checkbook. I doubt any other bank would be willing to give her a loan. We only did it because she has her social security and pension deposited in her checking account with us.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                              X