This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotels have problems too!

Hello All. If you couldn't tell, I work in a hotel. After having my boyfriend show me this site, I found very few posts about working at a hotel!

Let's just say, I very much respect the service industry just from working in the hotel/motel aspect of it. I also have learned to respect the restaurant aspect of it all, too. So this is the beginning of my reports on disrespectful hotel guests.

I have worked at the hotel I am at for 6 years now. Not too much happens really since we are a little on the nicer end as far as hotels go. One theme does hold true, however: We have a bar across the street & apparently that means, "Get really drunk & roll into the hotel after 2am (I work the night shift) and wake up everyone!!!!" Going to a hotel does not mean it's time to party. Our rooms are double-sound-proof and people still go nuts with noise & stupidity.

And when I call up to a room or send security up there...of course they lie about it. "It wasn't us." Do not go to a hotel for loud ass fun...that is not what they are for. And we are the kind of hotel that will give a guest's money back for any unsatisfactory reason...even when other people are jerks & wouldn't be respectful of the other guests. So, needless to say, we get yelled at a lot when other guests kept the whole hotel up all night even after threatening to call the cops.

People don't give a crap! It is very unfair. I am happy to give a guest's money back if something about the hotel wasn't up to their par, but I HATE giving money back for rude loud people who don't give a crap about anyone else but themselves.

So, that is it...my first post. More to come...oh so many more...

---thehippie777---
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Well, HauntedHeadnC always has some great stories about their hotel experiences. I say great, in that, they're epic failures on the SC's part.

Comment

I think a lot of people do view hotels/motels as places to party and be wild and whoop it up. But they forget that they aren't the only people in the world and that you can't go around being loud and obnoxious. It is too bad that you get a lot of people who don't care about how they're effecting those around them.

Comment

Hmmm, Slick and Uthdentroll haven't posted in a while. I'm blanking, but I know we have a couple of posters who work(ed) as room maids, also. Maybe, since it's not tourist season right now, the stories are a little slow.

HauntedHeadNC is out of the hotel business now, but still has some interesting stories from his new employer, and a rocking avatar!
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

When I was in the AF, I worked at the base hotel as a front desk clerk and night auditor. We never did have as many issues like civilian runned hotels do, like loud people or belligerant drunks. Military members knew that we could call up the SP's and they would have to call their First Shirt . So they were well behaved in that aspect.
          On the other hand. You all know how some rich rolks act uppity? Some high ranking enlisted and commissioned officers would behave in this matter. I was annoyed by this.

There were many funny stories on the job. I don't how many of you are familar with desert wildlife in southern Arizona, but we have these small praire dogs who run really fast and live in holes in the ground. Well, one of our guests had their door open and one of those praire dogs ran into in their room, ran into the bathroom and went down the bath tub drain! The little girl was concerned about critter and so her and her dad came up to see me. I called the head maint. guy and he said most likely the animal would find its way to the main pipes and find its way out. So the little girl felt better.
          Well, about 10 minutes or so later the dad and the girl came back with giggly smiles on their faces. I asked them what was so funny! Well, that praire dog came back up out of the bathtub drain! And the dad caught it in their trashcan and came back to see me and show me their guest. They joking asked it I wanted him and I said nah, put him back where he belongs, out in the desert!

Heh, one of the base SPs came over to get some coffee one night and I had the sliding doors open let in some cool air. He looks down and he sees a yellow scorpian on the floor and, I'm not kidding guys, he leaps onto the couch and screams like a girl! I was laughing so hard at him while scooping the scorpian into a cup and putting him back outside.

I enjoyed working at this hotel, most guests were wonderful. I really like the civilian workers and I still talk to them to this day.

Comment

Hauntedheadnc, Slick, and Uthdentroll have been mentioned already - look them up on the member's list and check for threads started by them if you want tales. Also, look for Truthhurts and Hotelboy. I think Hotelboy was the one who got the call from a room saying to call the police, my hooker just stole my cologne.

Rapscallion

Comment

hi thehippie777... can't quite say that I'm a fellow hotel worker, though my job is to act like I am... I love what I do, hotels don't have the manpower to handle all of their reservation calls so they have contracted with corporate and have given us the same authority that they give their onsite agents and forward calls to us, and we as long as the hotels code is on our caller ID, are legally their in house reservations department... you would be amazed how often we get idiots on the phone... and people who when they find out that in house isn't on site will flip out because "you can't be in house if you aren't actually at the property" (side note, the definition of in house is "paid for by the hotel" and the hotels pay for every call they transfer).
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I am proud to proclaim that I am a fellow hotel employee and Night Auditor, so I know your plight. I just haven't been posting a whole lot lately. Why is that you ask.....I just don't have that many SC's, but when I do, they are doozies.

Wait.... I think I just heard the masses screaming for me to post these tales.
                I'll oblige sometime soon....

Don't you get abosolutely sick of the people who notice you aren't standing at the desk, and you have one of those signs saying "Currently helping a guest, please dial 0 for immediate assistance", and they ignore it and stand there screaming "HEEEELLOOOOOOOO!!!!" at the top of their lungs? I want to choke them at that point!

Oh, and WELCOME!!!!

Jade
                Insanity : a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world. - R.D. Lang

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  Hauntedheadnc, Slick, and Uthdentroll have been mentioned already - look them up on the member's list and check for threads started by them if you want tales. Also, look for Truthhurts and Hotelboy. I think Hotelboy was the one who got the call from a room saying to call the police, my hooker just stole my cologne.

Rapscallion

Actually I am also no longer in the hotel business . I start working at a liquor store next week. But I have a great back log of hotel stories on the site.
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

thanks for the replies!

Yeah I love where I work for the most part. Most of my coworkers I have known for quite awhile, and a great deal of the guests are very cool. It's those ones...ya know? I have so many stories.

---thehippie777---
                    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I'm a proud hotel desk rider. Still can't get over one of my first crazy guests. "I need to stay another night, thebird is in my path."
                      If today is an indication of the rest of the week, I'm going to need to start drinking. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

I work for a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee hotel too. Most people don't abuse it, but it pi$$es me off when they do.

Like the OP, we've had loud guests get upset when we have to tell them to keep their noise level down. Then when they checkout, they say they were not loud and we caused embarrassment (we document everything). If I'm working and I know it's BS, I let the manager deal with it. Some complaints are legit and I will take the correct action in those cases. About 90% of the time, the BS complaints get their refund. My manager does not want to deal with the credit card companies if the guest tries to dispute a charge.

Comment

Working...
                        X