This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for a Negative Twitter!

Not sure if this is the right place for this! This letter appeared in today's Ask Amy colume:
    Dear Amy: I read with interest the letter from "Fired," who was let go by her employers after an angry customer who sent a hostile tweet about her.

Having worked in human resources, I sincerely hope that before the company took such a harsh approach to this event, it got the employee's side of the story. We live in an era of knee- jerk reactions, and I agree, as Fired said, that we need to slow down and count to 10 before speaking. — Voice of Experience

Dear Voice: I agree completely.

http://www.denverpost.com/askamy/ci_17491418
    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM.

OK, I was expecting the fired employee to have been the one to have posted the tweet about her company, and I was going to be leaning toward the company's side. Unless you really did something egregious, a customer complaining on Twitter shouldn't get you fired (and only after the company confirms that the report was true). She doesn't specify what exactly the complaint was, but she alerted the manager to the angry customer; I'd think if she really did something terrible she'd have kept quiet and hope the customer would just not come back.

Don't know what their age difference has to do with anything.. (original letter here)
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 03-01-2011, 01:28 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think that was really harsh of the company to fire the employee right away for that tweet. They could've listened to her and/or the manager she mentioned side of story. Though I can't help but think that because she was employed with the company for 3 weeks and that she may live in a right to work state she got screwed over (besides the obvious decision management made).
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

OK, I was expecting the fired employee to have been the one to have posted the tweet about her company, and I was going to be leaning toward the company's side.
        i think that already went to court and the worker won

as for whether or not an employee should be fired over a tweet... http://www.denverpost.com/askamy/ci_17386851

is it bad that I also want to see the tweet? It would be an excellent way to see both sides of the story.

Comment

Working...
        X