Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to stump my entire college with a problem. Lol. Including professors, and the (graduated) people that work in the IT section. I feel spechul now.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Mytical, what was the problem??
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Trying to run an old Win 95 program (Magic the Gathering : Battlemage) on a Windows 7 Home Premium computer(64 bit). Virtualbox, Dosbox, and Compatibility mode all laugh at our feeble attempts so far. Pretty much the only 'solution' I've ran across is get Windows 7 pro (32 bit) and do a complete (clean) install.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

With a program as old as that, it may have something to do with the 64-bit/32-bit architecture split and the way Windows bridges the gap. But don't do a clean install over your entire computer! Put the necessary OS in a virtual machine and fire that up when you want to use the program. (Speaking of which, have you tried XP mode? It might work if it's installed in XP.)
          "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Ugh, my sister has one, and it takes 7 minutes to boot up (I kid you not, I timed it). I even told her that her issue was the minimal ram and that I would help her buy it and even install it, so long as she pays for it. No dice. So for Christmas, I got her a 1GB stick and am going to plug it in for her so at least she can handle the system better.
            I got my 86 year old grandmother to buy more ram for her computer! (256mb to 1256mb) she was very happy with the result.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Trying to run an old Win 95 program (Magic the Gathering : Battlemage) on a Windows 7 Home Premium computer(64 bit). Virtualbox, Dosbox, and Compatibility mode all laugh at our feeble attempts so far. Pretty much the only 'solution' I've ran across is get Windows 7 pro (32 bit) and do a complete (clean) install.

try vmware workstation. install an older OS in it.

you weren't asking the right people

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                My 'solution'.... go to Craigslist and buy the cheapest box you can. That way you aren't crippling your main machine.
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                  I got my 86 year old grandmother to buy more ram for her computer! (256mb to 1256mb) she was very happy with the result.
                  Hehehe gotta love it! Since I'm junking my old computer, my grandmother's will benefit. She'll be going from 512...all the way up to 2GB Who knows, while I'm at it, I might drop in a second hard drive :P

As for the "get a MAC" people, that won't work in all cases. Specifically, mine. About 90% of the software I currently run, will *not* work on one. Sure, my spreadsheets and word processing stuff will, but my track programs (used for designing model railroad layouts), and some of the other hobby stuff won't. Well that...and I don't like crApple stuff to begin with
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    Trying to run an old Win 95 program (Magic the Gathering : Battlemage) on a Windows 7 Home Premium computer(64 bit). Virtualbox, Dosbox, and Compatibility mode all laugh at our feeble attempts so far.
                    I have one really stupid idea for you that's at least not too much trouble to check.

Does this game use any sort of loader or launcher? I've seen some games that use one .exe file to load or configure, which hands off to another file to actually play the game. In those cases, you'd want to make sure the second file was also set to use compat mode.

Might be way off base with this hunch, but it's quite trivial to check and entirely harmless to test.
                    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Thanks . I've actually changed all the .exe (or tried) compatibility to be on the safe side (change one, try to launch..see if it is still changed, change another..etc). One major issue is my Windows is 64 bit, and the program is 16 bit..they are .. not on friendly terms.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        One major issue is my Windows is 64 bit, and the program is 16 bit..they are .. not on friendly terms.
                        Ah, yep, that's the problem then.
                        "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                        - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                          Ah, yep, that's the problem then.
                          Yeah, I had the same problem with some of my old-old programs when I went to 64-bit Win7. Overall, I'm happy with it, but some of my really old programs don't play well with it.

As for companies putting just barely enough RAM in the machines for the OS, that's not something you can really blame on Vista. My ex's parents got a brand new Dell when XP first came out, and it only came with 128MB. I wouldn't run it with anything less than 512, although I saw it run OK with 256 until they started coming out with all the patches that eventually started slowing it down.

With 128, it ran so-so, but over time it really started to crawl. My son and I looked at it, determined that it needed more memory, and they were pissed! They said, "I'm not putting more money into this damn computer!" But eventually, they got tired of how slow it was, and told us to order some. I think we ended up ordering another 512MB and putting that in with the memory that was already there. It made all the difference in the world.

I don't know if I even want to know what they're putting in the Win7 machines these days. I have 4 GB in my home-built one.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            My ex's parents got a brand new Dell when XP first came out, and it only came with 128MB. I wouldn't run it with anything less than 512, although I saw it run OK with 256 until they started coming out with all the patches that eventually started slowing it down.

I think we ended up ordering another 512MB and putting that in with the memory that was already there. It made all the difference in the world.
                            We had a brand new eMachine (about 8 years ago) with the same issue, dropped an extra 256MB stick in to start, then over time as parts failures and different machines caused things to be swapped around, it's had varying amounts.

Currently 512MB, which is the biggest the slot will recognize...actually a 1GB stick but it's the last machine in the house to use PC2700 anymore and we spent 6 months troubleshooting some issues that looked like possibly RAM or the beginning of mobo failure and it was the last stick we had in for trying.

Next time we pull it down for cleaning we'll toss in whatever else we can still find.
                            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Working...
                            X