Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Dares Approach the All-Knowing, All-Powerful IT!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Dares Approach the All-Knowing, All-Powerful IT!?

Seriously folks, don't get upset when I say I don't know anything about your oddball camera software.

No, I don't know what you did to make it not pop up automatically anymore when you attach your camera.

No, I can't just tell you how to make it come back up without sitting in front of your computer to fiddle with it myself. I can, however, tell you how to get at the pictures by using the camera like a removable drive until you find your software again.

Stop that! I can hear you pout through the phone.

Seriously, if I knew all the possible software out there off the top of my head, I'd be making a hell of a lot more money somewhere, and be unique among IT personnel.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Quoth Geek King View Post
    Seriously folks, don't get upset when I say I don't know anything about your oddball camera software.

No, I don't know what you did to make it not pop up automatically anymore when you attach your camera.

No, I can't just tell you how to make it come back up without sitting in front of your computer to fiddle with it myself. I can, however, tell you how to get at the pictures by using the camera like a removable drive until you find your software again.

Stop that! I can hear you pout through the phone.

Seriously, if I knew all the possible software out there off the top of my head, I'd be making a hell of a lot more money somewhere, and be unique among IT personnel.
    It's all your fault that when I switched to Windows 7 on my new computer that my old Nikon Coolpix 7900 wouldn't upload the pics!!! Never mind that Nikon doesn't support it anymore,it's all your fault!!!!
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Frantic Freddie View Post
      It's all your fault that when I switched to Windows 7 on my new computer that my old Nikon Coolpix 7900 wouldn't upload the pics!!! Never mind that Nikon doesn't support it anymore,it's all your fault!!!!
      Worse.

I did get the user to admit, "Well, I clicked something on the bottom of the window before I closed it that last time." Because, of course, just clicking random things before closing the program is fun! Right!? Gah.

Vegas wouldn't even give you betting odds that the thing he clicked on being a small check box next to the words, "Start this program automatically when camera is attached?" And he's one of my users that can't function if the program isn't on the desktop (we use shortcuts). If you ask some of my users to open Program Files under the Start menu, you might as well be speaking Greek and asking for the ins-and-outs of a particle collider.

Yeesh. I know it helps keep me busy, but with just myself and my boss for about a hundred seats, some of those at remote sites, I could stand for some more base computer literacy in my users.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My favorite response to "it's job security" is "I could use a little less security."
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

One of the subjects I tutor in is computers, but students seem to think that means every computer program that's used for every degree program...

Take a couple of days ago, student is having problems setting margins for her graphics design program. Now, I tutor Microsoft OS, networking, security, and a little Cisco networking, but I explained to her that I know nothing about the program she's using. It doesn't stop her from involving my supervisor - the first thing she asks me is if I knew about the program , and I told her the same thing as the student.

I go on break, come back, and the front desk person tells me that a student is having trouble with a program - it's the same student. OK then, I go in and see what's going on. She's getting upset because of the problem and that she needs to get this to work for her final project - well, waiting until the next to last week of the semester to work on a final project might not have been the best decision.

I tell her I'll do some research - after 2 minutes I find her solution, on the second chapter of a Dummies book.

During all of this, another student wants to know if I can set up his program for Marketing...

Comment

You...and me too I actually got bitched out several years back...simply because I didn't know why someone's Realplayer wasn't working. Keep in mind that we're at *work,* and he shouldn't have been fucking around with that to begin with. Didn't stop him from screaming about how I was "refusing" to help him...even if I didn't know much about that program
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I know I've dealt with a few off the wall software requests, but can't think of them.

The only thing that comes to mind, is being sent over to a office, by my manager, to install iTunes for someone..
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                You...and me too I actually got bitched out several years back...simply because I didn't know why someone's Realplayer wasn't working.
                Isn't that normal for Realplayer?
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                  Isn't that normal for Realplayer?
                  Yeah... that's kind of what I was thinking... >_>

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X