This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA to iWhatever users on iOS 6 and up - Update NOW

Apple announced recently that they've released a patch that fixes one of those teensy little "Holy F*$#ing SHIT how did you miss that?!" security issues. The patch is available for free for "device" users (iPads ,iPhones, etc) and should be available soon for desktops/laptops.

If you own one of these devices, it's recommended that you run the updater ASAP.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ssued/5755177/
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

This bug basically defeats SSL -- you know, the little thing that keeps online shopping, banking, etc. secure-- and may also exist--correction, DOES exist--on OSX as well. Cult of Apple, beware.
    Last edited by otakuneko; 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Article doesn't say... Is it an iOS7 bug? I haven't upgraded due to a known fault with 4S phones, and I'd prefer not to, if avoidable.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
        Article doesn't say... Is it an iOS7 bug? I haven't upgraded due to a known fault with 4S phones, and I'd prefer not to, if avoidable.
        iOS 6 and 7. Which is why they have a separate update for iOS 6.

Comment

Which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to apply to iPhone 4 or newer. Bah. Kinda hoping I can keep this working another year or two before having to upgrade.

Comment

It's a bug that exists in iOS 6 and 7. It was introduced in iOS 6 so if you're running an earlier version then you needn't worry.

I've updated and I suggest everyone running 6 or 7 does as well.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I've just seen the offending code which caused the bug (via TheDailyWTF). It's a really simple but really nasty bug, in a section of code where mistakes should be intolerable.

I fully expect an update for my version of MacOS X shortly.

Comment

There is an update for Mavericks at least, i did it last night, and whatever it involves under the hood, my iMac acted like i was installing the OS for the first time, except that it didn't offer a tutorial when it was done... Oh, and Facetime keeps requesting a password, whatever it is. Update also effects Mail, maybe other stuff, and an update was just pushed though for iTunes.
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                X