Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But I NEEEEEEEEEEEED my Internetz to work NOOOOWWWW!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
    I would have called her back and said "Look, if you are that desperate for tech support. I'll go there and fix your machine for a price that'll make me forget that I'm wasting my vacation, gas, and patience on you. $100/hr, minimum 2 hours, in cash up front or I don't even step in your door. At this point, I'm not on the clock, so you're paying me independently as a consultant."
    I like it. I bet she is was saying, I never use this file, I should delete it.

Comment

I'd like to do that, with gas at 1,50€/liter and everything. It's close to $2/liter, thats just under $8/gallon. (Multiplied by four so it's not accurate) And 100€/h would be nice to get but I'm not an entrepreneur so I wouldn't be able to put it to taxes and it's illegal to work without paying taxes so I'm not able to do that easily.

Oh, and yes, this nephew (or some other younger male relative, I don't recall what she said) had indeed deleted the Norton folder and not removed it via the control panel. So the registry was messed up, Windows's security center was messed up and because of the two running antivirus softwares it was reeeaaaallllyyyy slow.

It looks like the machine-thingy and the DSL are working now since I've not received a call from her after she picked the computer up. My boss wasn't present today but I bet he wouldn't have let me charge her so I let it slide this time... Let's see how much I dare take from her the next time she brings it there. I bet she will do it.
      A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

Quoth Imprl59 View Post

I can especially feel for you right now as I just cancelled my favorite trip of the year becuase a customer just had to have her computer installed on Friday afternoon and I had to leave Thursday afternoon if I was going on the trip. Oh well.... Hope the rest of your vacation goes well! As hard as it will be put her out of your mind and enjoy yourself.

Steve B.
        So my question is: Why the heck would you do that? I like my co-workers and I certainly try to offer extra help when I can but cancelling a whole trip to accommodate a customer's schedule? Seems a bit... excessive.

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
        I would have called her back and said "Look, if you are that desperate for tech support. I'll go there and fix your machine for a price that'll make me forget that I'm wasting my vacation, gas, and patience on you. $100/hr, minimum 2 hours, in cash up front or I don't even step in your door. At this point, I'm not on the clock, so you're paying me independently as a consultant."
        I like it, especially since the customer from the original post seemed to ignore the fact that the OP was on vacation. I'm betting the customer would have changed her tune quickly when faced with having to actually pay for off-the-clock service.
        Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth pacman View Post
          Update.

The computer is now on my desk and I'm creating those friggin' recovery disks for her. I also removed the multiple antivirus softwares and installed a fresh new nice one to her. And the icing: I don't take money for it this time.

Please help me, I'm not going to tolerate her for long.
          While I compliment you on your willingness to try and help this idiot, I think doing this for her is going to send exactly the wrong message. You realize that as long as you continue to "give in" to her demands on your time, and continue to provide free service, she will continue to take advantage of you and treat you like crap.

And what happened to your vacation?!
          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth pacman View Post
            The computer is now on my desk and I'm creating those friggin' recovery disks for her. I also removed the multiple antivirus softwares and installed a fresh new nice one to her. And the icing: I don't take money for it this time.

Please help me, I'm not going to tolerate her for long.
            Pacman,

Don't be an enabler. Allowing her the benefit of the doubt every single time is going to make her expect it. Put your foot down and make her pay money otherwise make her GTFO.

Sure, it sucks dealing with a sucky customer, but it's better to have a sucky customer who will leave and never return that had no intention of paying you a dime vs. having a sucky customer who's going to drain you/your company of monetary resources, manpower, and time to suit her own interests.

Again, don't be an enabler.

"Ma'am, you've received more benefits regarding this issue than should be allowed. I should have charged you x times ago. Your past due tab for all service/labor is xxxx. If you pay that amount plus the amount owed for this visit, I will work on your machine again. Otherwise, leave."
            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X