This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with federal student loans

Before I post this, I want to say, mods.. if anything in here is unacceptable, my apologies beforehand and feel free to edit or let me know and I'll edit it. Thank you.

Back in 2002-2004 I used to work at MOHELA as a customer service rep for federal student loans. I loved the job. The loans were subject to federal guidelines. There was no budging, no getting a manager to leverage a situation, no sweettalking a customer service rep into reversing a charge/report to credit, nada.

The management stood 100% behind the agents, as long as the agents were following full protocol by the book.

I had a nice call from a borrower of a federal student loan. He was pissed because his loans went into repayment.

He had over $50k in student loans. He dropped below half-time status. we send notice after notice after notice via mail (poor trees) to these borrowers (and we have all notifications logged in the system.) reminding that payment is coming due.

He's 120+ days delinquent on his loans. He calls in, changes his address/phone number information, states he can't make payment, and is going back to school in about 6-8 months.

He's not employed. So I got him to fill out an Economic Hardship Deferment application due to having a $0 gross monthly income. I walked him through how to get it off the company site. He printed it. I walked him through filling it out. He faxed it over. I submitted it to have it processed. Takes 5-7 days to process.

Now, with deferments/forbearances, any interest accrued will be added to the end of the loan (capitalization of interest) and any negative credit reported will not be reversed. (MOHELA reported 60+ days back then.)

He gets irate because his credit got reported and stating that it's not his fault he's delinquent because he moved and he wasn't getting mail from us. (In the promissory note they sign, it states that they have to update us with address information immediately. I told him of this) And he goes on a full holier than thou tirade laced with a lot of profanity, calling me everything except white and nerdy.

The records showed what college lent him the money... A seminary.

So that's what he learned in seminary.. how to be a complete unprofessional douchewaffle.
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

I'm pretty sure he didn't learn irresponsibility from the seminary. He probably learned it well before he even got there.

He probably learned it from his parents.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You may be right.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
        And he goes on a full holier than thou tirade
        -snip-
        So that's what he learned in seminary...
        quoted for my amusement at choice of words
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Always a pleasure to amuse thee.

Comment

*big sigh*

I am nearly terrified of what will happen with me and student loans. I know one thing for sure, you can bet your ass that I will stay in touch with my lenders. It does you no good to hide from them - YOU CAN'T!! It's better to contact them as soon as you realize you are in hardship than to try to avoid them. It's federal - they don't fuck around!
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Your decisions are wise. Federal student loans are engineered in a way to where they cannot be escaped... you can't even bankrupt out of them. Defaulting leads to wage garnishments. And all this while the credit gets reported.

Comment

The state of my current apartment when I took residency looked like the previous tenant had just packed her crap and ran.

For a couple months I was receiving phone calls and mail for the previous tenant from a student loan company. After a short while of this, I politely told the woman that I had moved in a few months ago and I had no idea where the previous tenant was; no further issues. I guess they tried to chase her down some other way.

I may have been late once or twice on my own student loan, but that was my own damn fault (misplaced the statement, statement due date changed and I didn't know, etc); I always pay on time for the most part. My lender is a bit anal; if the payment is one week late I get a call (usually when that happens, the payment is due to reach them the day the call is made).
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Yep.. the call when it's late.. due diligence... that's standard procedure.

Comment

calling me everything except white and nerdy
                    Holy cow I'm white and nerdy!

I wanna bowl with,
                    the gangstas
                    but oh well it's obvious I'm white and nerdy

Weird Al for teh win.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                      Holy cow I'm white and nerdy!

I wanna bowl with,
                      the gangstas
                      but oh well it's obvious I'm white and nerdy

Weird Al for teh win.

They see me mowing
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                        The records showed what college lent him the money... A seminary.

Not that I am condoning the asshat's behavior, but to point out. I go to a private University in Denver (Uni of Denver, go fig!) which is owned and operated by Denver Seminary. We're not a religious school, but the tax exempt form I use when buying for my show and any really official correspondence I get has Denver Seminary on it.

Comment

I've got to fill out a deferment - back in school and all.... *sigh*
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                          X