This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directing traffic wasn't in my job description

So recently our client has been building a new guard shack at one of the site I work at. As part of the new shack they are putting in new gate arms. This requires that the current asphalt must be taken up, a trench be dug, they have to lay new conduit, and fill the trench back in so it can be driven over. This all happened on Tuesday and we had signs up sense Friday.

We operate out of what is now refereed to as the main gate, but once upon a time there were two gates, an upper gate and a lower gate. Now the lower gate only gets used as a place for parents to drop off there kids for the school bus. Now these signs I mentioned said that to exit the village you have to use the lower gate between 8:45 and 4pm. That time was chosen because that last of two buses arrived at 8:40. The idea being that right after the bus left the gate could be opened for exiting traffic, and at the main gate only the lane normally used for exiting was to be used for entering the village.

SD = Stupid Driver.

Time 8:30

Me: Standing a lower gate wait for school bus. (on this day I was the one how had to open the gate for the kids to get onto the bus)

SD: Drives up to me with a pass in hand “Yeah the sign back there said this is the exit.”

Me: “Not yet, your 15 minutes early.”

SD: “So I have to drive back to the other gate?”

Me: “Yes this gate doesn't open until 8:45”

SD: Gives me look I'm the one who was to stupid to read the whole sign.

Later that day I was at the main gate directing traffic to lower gate. Let me set the scene, I'm standing practically in the middle of the intersection right in front of oncoming traffic. So that when they get to the intersection I can point them in the direction of the lower gate.

Me: Standing in there way with one arm extended while gesturing with my other in the direction of the other. (which from their view is to the right)

SD: Turns right slightly and looks a me rolls down window “I don't know what your trying to tell me.”

Me: “You have to go to the lower gate to exit.”

SD: “Is it open?”

Me: “Yes it's open” (No it's not open, I just don't like you and want you to waste your gas!)

SD: “Oh ok I guess I'll go see.”

My goodness the people of the village are the dumbest I have ever met. In another case when the maintenance man was also helping. He would be standing on their side of the road and before they even got to the intersection he would point for them to turn right. Almost every other time he would do this the driver would smile and way at him and then still come in my direction. Then I would also point for them to turn.

Was just glad I didn't get run over.

Moo! Moo! Barn that way! Moo!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
    X