Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a little searching and I managed to come up with three numbers for the three most common areas where our members are from (US, UK and Australia). For the US and UK, I was only able to find hotlines, for Australia I know a TON of information.

For the US I got two separate phone numbers:

1-800-784-2433 (This one links to the Kristin Brooks Hope Center)

1-800-273-7255 (National Suicide PRevention Service)

For the UK, I could only find one number:

08457 90 90 90

If you're in Ireland, it's 1850 60 90 90

That's the Samaritan service.

And for Australia, the number for Lifeline is 13 11 14 and they can also give you details for services.
    If you're under 25, you can also call Kids Help Line, which is 1800 55 1800.

I was going to mention the Mental Health Triage Service, but I realised they were state-linked, not federal.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

• I wanted to add myself to the list of people you could PM if you want to talk to someone. I'm not as well known as some and I didn't know Plaid but I'm here to listen. I have only unlimited texts but that doesn't mean I won't talk if you need someone to listen.
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

• Oh no...

I...I don't know what to say...

Sadface.
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

• Plaid,
          i was a longtime lurker before finally joining the boards. I always thought of you as one of the nicest people on here, even though i never talked to you personally.

I'll miss your posts, fare thee well where ever you are. I hope you found peace.

Comment

• I am sorry anyone had to go through anything that would make them take their own life, and so sorry for all the people who loved him and will miss him. I've enjoyed his posts but didn't know him personally but have been very touched by the stories of some of the people here he clearly made a real difference for.

Quoth fireheart View Post
            For the US and UK, I was only able to find hotlines

[....]

For the UK, I could only find one number:

08457 90 90 90

If you're in Ireland, it's 1850 60 90 90

That's the Samaritan service.
            I'd just like to add that while that may be described as a hotline anyone can call for any reason. It isn't an emergency line for people in terrible crisis it's for anyone who needs to talk for any reason. I've met a couple of people running Samaritan services (and been on training courses run by them) and they were very kind people who just wanted to provide acceptance and support for people in need. It is absolutely fine to phone up and chat about nothing much, just because you want to hear a voice - and that is a use of the service they acknowledge. It's also fine to call up and tell them any thing on your mind that may seem terrible and difficult to share.

If in doubt call, don't ever think that your problem isn't important enough.

There may also be local numbers available, and even drop in centres, but people would have to look those up locally.

Also for serious depression reach out to your doctor - some depression can have physical causes and where it doesn't in the UK your doctor can refer you to free counselling (which sadly takes a while), and make suggestions for other local services. Free counselling may be limited but it is still some level of support - I've been there and done that and it was helpful at the time.

Victoria J

Comment

• I didn't know you Plaid, not well enough to call a friend. But I knew that I enjoyed reading what you had to say, and from reading the above, can only say I'm sorry I didn't know you better.

I'll raise a glass to you tonight, and tomorrow too. Probably more than one. Someone so respected, so well loved, deserves no less.

Comment

• Add me to the list of people with an ear always available.

If I'm awake, I will respond. Skype for when I'm home at my computer (which is most of the time I'm not at work or sleeping), and texting whenever. But I can text at work if there's a need. Though not enough people have my number.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• I've just heard. What a horrible reason to come back, but, i feel like I want to be with you guys at this point. Oh Plaid, why didn't you talk when you could? I don't know what to say.

RIP dear daft friend.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

• RIP Plaid. You will be missed.

"May God stand between you and harm, in all the empty places that you must walk." - Old Egyptian Blessing.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

• I'm here too if anyone wants to talk. My cell phone number is attached to my FB page (I have unlimited texting). Also, I have put down my Skype name, my yahoo messenger name, and my AIM name. So please, feel free to contact me.

The only time I won't text back is when I'm either driving (duh), cooking, or sleeping (either at night or when taking a nap during the day).

ETA: I also don't text back when Child Rum has my phone and is using it to watch videos or listen to the iPod feature on it and she won't give up the phone so I can check it out. So if ya'll text me and get the words "Animal Jam" back that's Child Rum texting you accidentally!
                      Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 06-30-2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• I'm here, too, for anyone that needs me. I don't text, but I'm available to talk on the phone or by email. Just PM me for my info. I'm on facebook, too.

This makes the third person I've known in some way that has ended his/her own life. When I was in 8th grade my cousin who was just a few years older than me, this August it'll be 4 years since my husband's cousin and best friend, and now Plaidman. Even though I didn't know Plaidman as much as I would've like to, each one has left a scar on my heart.
                        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

• Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                          I wanted to add myself to the list of people you could PM if you want to talk to someone. I'm not as well known as some and I didn't know Plaid but I'm here to listen. I have only unlimited texts but that doesn't mean I won't talk if you need someone to listen.

Same. Anyone can PM me if they like...and I'm willing to give out my phone number. I just only have unlimited text at this point--my regular phone plan blows. But I'm fast with the texting and right now, I don't really have a job...so I'm available pretty much whenever.
                          "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                          "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                          Amayis is my wifey

Comment

• I think what you're all doing here is great.

What a wonderful way to honor Plaid's memory by passing along your kindness and friendship to others. I don't know any of you personally, and that's a shame.

I would be happy to friend any of you on Facebook, or talk to you if you needed to vent. Feel free to PM me for info. I have unlimited texting, and a fair amount of airtime.

There's no shame in admitting you need help.
                            Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

• We've had some confirmation. We know that it was suicide. The details are something I don't want to discuss, but some of you already know them. If you do, I'll trust you to not share them openly.

The memorial for Driver will be on Saturday, July 2 at 1pm at Mt. Scott Funeral Home. 4205 SE 59th, at the corner of 59th & SE Foster, Portland, Oregon. Everyone is welcome. (posted by his family on his facebook)
                              If you're in the region and able to attend, I think they'd like the company. If you're not, please remember him in your own way.

Rapscallion

Comment

• I would like to extend my friendship and willingness to listen for anyone who feels the need to let it out or a shoulder to cry on. I mentioned before that I do not post very often but I am on here several times a day reading posts, so just PM me for a phone number, you can also friend me on FB again PM me for my name. I have gone through depression and many other horrible things in my life and that has really helped me to help others, I used to counsel teens at job corps. Again, if you ever feel the need to talk to someone, I am here! This is to everyone, remember that no matter what you are loved and cherished in this community and we stand together to help each other in unity!!

Comment

Working...
                                X