This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here come the SCs!

First, I should say we are not allowed to do price checks at the registers. I forget what the reason is, but we do have those little doodads all over the store (with large signs hanging over them) for customers to check the prices of items.

Most are on large vertical beams that basically hold up the ceiling, so of course they are totally invisible ...

SC comes up to my register with four items, including a sparkly pink pair of tweezers. They ring up at $9.99.

SC: "Those are supposed to be $7.99. That's what the sign said."

Me: "Okay, let's just check." I page "merchandising" (e.g. anybody who's on the floor as opposed to a register) to come to the front, and one girl does. I explain the issue and she goes back to check.

CW returns and says: "No, ma'am, these are $9.99. They are priced right."

SC doesn't agree. In fact, she doesn't agree so strongly that she goes back to where she got them, dragging CW with her, to explain why they should be $7.99. I void the item out and suspend the sale and move on to other customers.

Eventually SC comes back with a different pair of tweezers. I ring them in. They ring in at $9.99. SC gets indignant.

"But she [CW, I guess] TOLD me these are $7.99!"

Again I page "merchandising" and again somebody comes up to check.

Again, SC goes back to the display area with CW. Again I void out the item and suspend the sale, and move on to other customers.

This time SC is gone so long I'm starting to think she has just stormed out of the store and I'll need to void the entire sale.

Finally, she comes back.

With the sparkly pink tweezers. Which she has decided to purchase despite the fact they are $9.99 and not $7.99.

I finally get her checked out and GONE.

I found out later she had demanded to speak to a manager. CW said the manager was gone but a supervisor was on duty, and went to get said supervisor. SC demanded that the sparkly pink tweezers be reduced to $7.99, because that's where she found them ... apparently refusing to understand that other customers might have put them in the wrong place. She even pulled the "I know [Store Manager}!!" card. Supervisor told her that, regardless of who she knows, supervisor does NOT have the authority to make that reduction. Apparently they went in circles on this one for a bit.

Seriously ... all this over $2?? I could understand if there was a significant price different but ... TWO DOLLARS???

The second story was one I was told.

Every Thursday is senior's day, when seniors (65 and over) get 20% off a lot of things in the store (most things, probably).

The tricky part, as you can imagine, as how to ask somebody if they're old enough to qualify. Several of my coworkers have said "Screw it, if you THINK they're old enough, give 'em the discount!"

But of course, this can backfire ...

CW gave an older man the discount on some milk he'd bought.

Grumpy Old Fart: "Hey, why's the milk so cheap??"

CW: "I've given you the senior discount, sir."

GOF: "Rant rave babble blargle HOW DARE YOU IMPLY I'M A SENIOR???"

Ultimately he made CW refund the sale, and then ring the milk through at its full price ... BECAUSE I'M NOT A SENIOR, DAMMIT!!

Yeah, this job -- if I stay here -- looks like it might be quite the motherlode for SC stories. All I need to do is figure out how to take notes while I'm checking people out.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    Seriously ... all this over $2?? I could understand if there was a significant price different but ... TWO DOLLARS???
    Think of it percentage-wise. That's 20%. As I'm sure you know, people will argue until they're blue in the face to get a dollar off $10, but the same people won't think twice about an extra dollar when you're talking about buying a $10,000 car. It's something hardwired in.

On the other hand, the sucktomer flipping out like that... yeah.

The tricky part, as you can imagine, as how to ask somebody if they're old enough to qualify. Several of my coworkers have said "Screw it, if you THINK they're old enough, give 'em the discount!"
    I never offer the senior discount. If they want it, they have to ask.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

The entire story, all I could think of was "I want my two dollars!"

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
        The entire story, all I could think of was "I want my two dollars!"

OMG ... the psycho paperboy! That was hilarious!

And I loved the excuses the customers gives at the start as to why he can't pay ...
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We have Senior Day once a month and the customer has to ask for the discount, we can't just give it on our own. We have a few regulars that come in every month like clockwork and get it. Personally, I think our discount is crappy. It's 20% off regular priced items only. But the old people like it.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I had a boss that called it a "wisdom discount"
            Always got a chuckle from the customer.
            What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Way back when I was young (52), I went through a drive through and ordered my usual order, which meant I knew how much it cost and had the exact change ready when I got to the window.

The total was less than I expected and I said something about shouldn't it have been
              x? The teenaged girl happily told me Normally, that would be right, but I gave you our senior discount."

I just smiled and thanked her, but inside, I was sobbing my eyes out.

Now that I am officially a senior, I will sometimes remember to ask for a senior discount, but I don't get upset if I don't get one.

Comment

"Seriously ... all this over $2?? I could understand if there was a significant price different but ... TWO DOLLARS???"

I once had a dude go nuclear on me over THREE CENTS. Yes, you read that correctly. With SCs like this, it's the principle of the thing.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Every Thursday is senior's day, when seniors (65 and over) get 20% off a lot of things in the store (most things, probably).
                  I should start shopping at your store. My local store only gives a 5% senior discount on Thursdays. Of course, it does include everything, including spirits.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

We sell these super cheap knee-hi stockings that are 2/$1.00 back in the day we would have them on sale for 4/$1.00. I had a woman flip her shit because she bought three and was charged for 4. I was going to ask if she wanted to just go back and grab another one but with the way she was acting I just called the manager to give her the money back, because back then we had to call a manager for every return. I really hope to this day that everyone she told that story to asked if she was an idiot for wasting our time on that.
                    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X