Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of "they clash" don't you understand??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes. The old Part 15 regulations. The gist of it is any device that runs under that part of the FCC regs can run unlicensed. No licensing hassles, no type acceptance, etc. You can build it, say it runs under Part 15, and you're pushing it out the door. That 'unlicensed' part is the kicker. If your device interferes with /licensed/ services (Police, Fire, Aircraft frequencies, AM/FM broadcast, TV, etc) then it's up to you, or the manufacturer of the device, to correct it. You, on the other hand, have to accept whatever interference comes your way.

Which is where the fun comes in when you have two Part 15 devices (a wireless router and a cordless phone) operating in the same band, as you have here, because as the OP told them, it's either accept it or change the frequency range of one of them, and the phones are the easier option. I had the same problem, and bought a phone that ran in the 5.8 Ghz range instead, and it also used spread spectrum, which is a frequency hopping method that can eliminate interference. Basically, each device transmits for a split second on a set of pre-determined frequencies. Both the transmitter and the receiver use the same algorithm to determine what frequency will be next in line, so the signal is transparent to anyone else using those frequencies, even other spread spectrum devices since they use different frequency hopping algorithms. I've noticed a fair amount of devices starting to use it.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

We have at least 5 such devices, in the same general area. Maybe more if you count the ones that only mess with cellphones. I have figured out that the microwave will 'take out' the radio if both are on at the same time...the microwave's crap anyway.

I think the only way I'm going to get mom to agree to upgrade our landline (cheapest one available, purchased before the modem and router) is to conclusively prove what I've been telling her for months: everything in that area of the apartment clashes with everything else...and if I have to reset something one more time I am going to start charging her -_- How to do that cheaply...I have various signal/EMF detectors, but that only tells me what I'm being exposed to, not what's messing with what.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

You might be able to use your (or your mother's) laptop's wifi hardware to scan the noise level on each channel. That's not hugely precise, but you should be able to see changes when you turn 2.4GHz things on and off.

You'll need appropriate software to do the scanning. NetStumbler seems to be the most appropriate Windows tool for this particular task - it's one of the few free tools which will show noise level rather than just signal level - although it is so old that it doesn't know about WPA encryption (so it'll report a WPA network as WEP). You could try NetSpot or KisMAC if you have a Mac.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          You might be able to use your (or your mother's) laptop's wifi hardware to scan the noise level on each channel. That's not hugely precise, but you should be able to see changes when you turn 2.4GHz things on and off.
          Meh, why bother. There's too much overlap in the 2.4GHz channels, so just try 1, 6, and 11. If all three of those are too noisy, then all 11 channels are too noisy.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
          X