This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth marasbaras View Post
    Going to have to pay them for the oxygen you use while waiting in their bloody lines?
    Someone opened an oxygen bar in downtown Asheville, and I'm sure there are others around here someplace (California and New York City springs to mind for some reason, Miami FL, too).

THEY will charge you for air (The Oxy-bar in Asheville charges a dollar a minute).
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
      My boss FORBIDS us to sell any change at all.
      Why? The banks in this town now CHARGE you for "buying" rolls of change.

I tell the customers this and they call me a liar.
      Agreed. We finally put a copy of the bank's fee schedule with that line highlighted by the register. Saw many raised eyebrows after that.
      Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner

Comment

The Microcenter near me doesn't seem to require returns/exchanges to be authorized by a manager if you have the receipt and the product is sealed (I exchanged a DS game yesterday; just went over to the game department, picked out the one I wanted, brought both to the returns desk with the original receipt, receipt was scanned and done). Returns/exchanges are handled at the service dept. counter so the procedure may be different.

The exact circumstance (sealed product missing the CD) may have been unusual enough to raise a small flag or two.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"missing cd" issue reminds me of how some stores... they open the package, remove the CD, and only let you have the CD once you buy the product.

obviously it stops people from stealing the CDs, but... on the other side, it means the employees can often see the online registration code, and they might use that code for themselves, thus selling you a "used" product.

and most banks i know will charge you for cashing a check, but i wouldnt be surprised if some banks had a deal worked out with companies that are right next door, etc. if anything... that company might have an account with them, so they know the money is valid on the payroll check.

Comment

All the banks in my area started charging area businesses to buy change after a certain amount about 10 years ago. I think it's anything more than $100-$150 that they start charging an administrative fee that is a percentage of the amount of change being purchased. So if you burn through more than $60 of quarters, $25 of dimes, $10 of nickels and $5 in pennies in a day then you're going to be paying between $3 and $10 (or more) for your change in admin fees.

$10 a day for change would certainly prompt me to cut down the amount of change that is going out from my business on a daily basis.

The banks in my area basically reacted to that whole situation. There were too many people buying rolls of quarters etc. from the area businesses which prompted the area businesses to buy more change from the banks on a regular basis. That in turn tied up more of the bank's money in metal assets (change) as opposed to paper assets (cash), thus costing the banks money. (i.e they couldn't loan that money out because it was all tied up in change being given to local businesses.)

In most cases your average bank patron can buy $10-$50 worth of quarters or other change with no fee. And sometimes even non-bank patrons can as well (depending on the bank's policy).

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
            That's a bit harsh, especially since he explained the situation rather well.

Yeah sure, sometimes places can't, or won't do something, but it never hurts to ASK. Sometimes, asking nicely is all it takes.
            You're right. It can't hurt to ask and it may be that the store will require the customer to buy something to provide quarters as change.

BUT..... is it harsh to ask someone to plan ahead and have everything they need for a project? I don't think so. If they are doing their laundry they need to use the changers at the laundromat or they need to have planned ahead and purchased several rolls of quarters from their bank BEFORE the weekend. ( To be fair... some banks are open on the weekend so concievably they could go to those banks for change. Call the admin fee an "I was stupid and didn't plan ahead" fee and pay it like a responsible adult would knowing it was their own fault for not planning ahead.) There are also other venues at which they could get change. Self-serve car washes anyone? vending machines, some arcades, etc.

The other option is to "roll your own". There are cheap change sorting machines out there that allow you to drop your pocket change in and it will drop it into a roll for you. This only works, of course, if you have a LOT of change during the week. But it's still an option.

Lying to customers is a whole 'nother topic that has been covered on this board before.

Sorry to hear about your microcenter experience ebonyknight. It was sucky customer service and was possibly compounded by a lying employee.
            You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
              Even when trying to break a 20 into a 10 and two 5's.
              I tell customers I can't break bills all the time. Even if I can I don't do it. Sorry but thats what banks are for. Yes I lie right to their face, even if they see I have a ton of $5's and $10's I simply say, "Sorry I don't have it."

If they b*tch about it I have two come backs.

"Sorry this is NOT a bank."
              "Sorry thats what your bank is for."

If they tell me thats what the bank gave them.. I tell them then they should have asked for smaller bills.

Nine out of ten are only looking to break a $20 for their drugs, if they don't trust their dealer to give them change back that's not my problem. The ones looking for rolls of quarters are coming from next door which is a laundry mat. I send them off to the business 2 doors over that owns the laundry mat. They can sell it to them since its their laundry mat and they should fill up the change machines.

Comment

Working...
              X