This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did You Just Hang Up on Me?

I'm doing some freelance fact-checking for a magazine I interned at. I call places and make sure info in the article is correct.

Me: *Finally gets through to the right person*. Hi, I'm Apathy from *magazine,* and I just need to quickly verify some info with you. (Will seriously take less than two minutes)
    Jerk: Just fax it over to me...
    Me: Tries to butt in and say something like, "I don't have a fax" or "It will take two minutes, tops"
    Jerk: *continues* fax number is bla bla bla (I'm trying to interrupt) *click*
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Next time they try that just shout over them "SO, CAN YOU CONFIRM THE FACT THAT YOU BOIL PUPPIES ALIVE AFTER RAPING THEM?". If nothing else, it will get them to think. :-)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      Next time they try that just shout over them "SO, CAN YOU CONFIRM THE FACT THAT YOU BOIL PUPPIES ALIVE AFTER RAPING THEM?". If nothing else, it will get them to think. :-)
      sheldonrs! I know you weren't serious, but nonetheless.

Yes, that will make them stop in their tracks and at least give you a "WTF?"
      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Did you call back and as soon as they answered started with, "This will not be faxed over and needs to be done over the phone,"?

People who interrupt infuriate me.

Comment

Actually I got the info from their website. It's not always as reliable, but if they don't want to talk to me, whatever.

Lots of people ask for it to be faxed. I can't do that, though. Against policy to send out full text like that. Some people understand, others don't.

Comment

I'd leave less wiggle room:

Do you boil the live cute baby puppies in hot oil before or after you violently rape them?
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

On the flip side though we get a lot of fact checking calls through our switchboard & a good majority of those callers are very agressive (not saying you are).

We repeatedly explain to some of them that any verbal verification is against company policy and we can offer the website address to them for further assistance. Those select people will keep throwing various questions at us & keep cutting us off after we've explained the company's policy to them, eventually they're disconnected.

Comment

Quoth MyEccentricHell View Post
                On the flip side though we get a lot of fact checking calls through our switchboard & a good majority of those callers are very agressive (not saying you are).

We repeatedly explain to some of them that any verbal verification is against company policy and we can offer the website address to them for further assistance. Those select people will keep throwing various questions at us & keep cutting us off after we've explained the company's policy to them, eventually they're disconnected.
                Oh man! I hate phone work. If I was told to use the website instead, there would be no problems there.

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                  I'm doing some freelance fact-checking for a magazine I interned at. I call places and make sure info in the article is correct.

Me: *Finally gets through to the right person*. Hi, I'm Apathy from *magazine,* and I just need to quickly verify some info with you. (Will seriously take less than two minutes)
                  Jerk: Just fax it over to me...
                  Me: Tries to butt in and say something like, "I don't have a fax" or "It will take two minutes, tops"
                  Jerk: *continues* fax number is bla bla bla (I'm trying to interrupt) *click*
                  A little abrupt, yes, but not out of line.

You want the transaction to go your way (phone convo). He wants it to go his way (fax him the info).

If you want him to give you want you need, then do it his way or prepare to do without.

I know that sounds harsh but if he doesn't want to accommodate you, it's his right.

The ball is now in your court.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                    I know that sounds harsh but if he doesn't want to accommodate you, it's his right.
                    That doesn't make him any less rude or stupid for giving a fax number to someone who doesn't have a fax.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      That doesn't make him any less rude or stupid for giving a fax number to someone who doesn't have a fax.

^-.-^
                      I TOTALLY agree with what Andara said!!!

If someone doesn't have a fax.....hmmmm. Kinda hard to send a fax. How much additional effort would it have taken to say, "you can verify the info via our website or via fax" after finding out what was wanted? And if they can't take the calls then refer them to the company press contact! Ugh!

Totally RUDE, SELF-IMPORTANT and SUCKY!!!

In short the person is full of FAIL.
                      You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

The last few responses reminded me of how my old SD (the one from the classic managment thread) went off on me once. (Not that this was her only bitchy moment).

Anywho, my friend and I were standing around talking. We were working (putting returns away), but we were just kind of enjoying ourselves. A, the SD, comes up and lays into us like we're scum. I mean the whole "high and mighty" "holier than though" type thing. (One of her many faults; we weren't fit to lick her shoes.)

Anyway, point being, she did have a reason to come speak with us. We were goofing off a bit. And this is what a lot of people told me.

Morons: Well, she did have a reason...
                        Me: Stop telling me things I already know. Unbelievable as it may seem, I understand the situation. My problem is how she handled it. She was a total bitch and it wasn't necessary. She didn't have to be a condescending jerk, but she was.

Immediately after, my coworker took an hour break to calm down/not quit, and I saw, for the next twenty minutes, four managers standing around talking, and not about work.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                          People who interrupt infuriate me.
                          That and the ones who get pissy about me trying to do my job. Almost everytime a customer calls, inquiring about an ad the dealership put out for used cars, I have to tell them (when they ask me questions about the car) that I'm not a salesperson (Note: I'm an Appointment Setter) but that I'll jot down their name and number and have a salesperson call them back about their inquiry. They get pissy,demanding to speak with one now, refuse to gimme their info or hang up on me before I can try and get their info. Idiots. Sorry for the thread jack.
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                          X