This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot take my cats on a bus, and I will not leave them behind or re-home them. Sadly, just about everywhere for rent locally is "no pets" because heaven forbid these assbags have a strand of fur on their precious floors. Also, Mom's got all my legal papers in a strong box and only she has the key, and I'd need to go through her to get a death certificate for my grandma. I might just wait until after I get out of college to try and get money for all these things so I don't have to sacrifice them for school. I know I won't be able to get out of here in two years anyway, so worrying about getting out now now now like the house is on fire will just make more problems than it solves.

My grandma's house is still owned by my aunt, but I have no idea how much of a hand I might have in its ownership.

But anyway, thanks all very much for the info on the coins and the bonds. Most of the coins are from 1971 and beyond, but there's a handful or two from 1964-1970 that I can tell are mostly silver, so I guess I'd just take those to anyone around here who could appraise them if the rest are just worth face value.

I gotta look at the bonds again to see what kind they are because I can't remember off the top of my head. Hooray for good memory.
    I rehomed a cat I had for 10 years in order to move cross country, just to make a fresh start (had been blackballed in Delaware and couldn't get a job).

The legal papers are yours. If your mother won't give them to you, steal the key. Pick the lock. Break the lock. Call the Sheriff and demand she open the box and give them to you. But get them.

You don't have to go through your mother to get the death certificate. Contact the Department of Vital Statistics in Pennsylvania (or what ever they call it there). As a grand child you have a legal right to a copy of your grandmother's death certificate. You will have to pay a fee for it. It will be anwhere from $10 to $40 (it varies by state).

If you have part ownership in a house, why the HELL are you living with your mother? Tell your aunt you are moving in. If you have legal ownership, she can't stop you. She CAN offer to buy you out. Take your share and move out of state. I would do it in a stone cold minute to get out of a situation like yours.

You will have to pay taxes on the bonds, but probably only state taxes. There's no federal tax on US bonds. US Savings bonds can have a variable or fixed interest rate depending on the type of the bond. The value for paper bonds is the face value (ie, $50 for a $50 bond) plus any interest it has earned. treasurydirect.gov can help you figure out the interest earned, but so can the bank.

Until you learn how to advocate for yourself and put yourself first, your mother is going to continue to walk all over you until you turn into her.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

What Panacea said. If you don't want to live with your aunt, go see a probate lawyer about how you would get your aunt to buy you out. You might even be able to find one who will work on contingency. Hubby and I are doing the house buyout thing right now with somewhat crazy Father in Law's wife. From a different city. With very little cash for a lawyer.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
        Also, Mom's got all my legal papers in a strong box and only she has the key, and I'd need to go through her to get a death certificate for my grandma.
        They are YOUR legal papers, your mother has no right to keep them away from you (note that taking away someone's documents is one of the signs you're dealing with a human trafficer). Is there a crowbar/axe/sledgehammer/angle grinder in the house? If so, use it.

For pre-sandwich U.S. coins (and older Canadian coins - don't know our cutoff year, but we went to an alloy rather than a sandwich), check out this article.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          Bicentennial coins are not worth much more than face value IIRC because they are so common. They also don't have much silver. But get an expert to look just to be sure.
          IIRC they did make some bicentennial coils (quarter, half dollar, and dollar) 90% silver (all silver on the edges). As a kid (and still to this day) I used to collect those (quarters) that I got in change (I thought thy were really cool) and when I used to look in my coin price guide they always listed silver as one of the options and it wasn't noted that they were uncirculated / mint only.

Yeah, the chances are low that the bicentennials are silver but there is always the chance.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

You can also request copies of all your legal documents. Birth certificates, passport, any name changes, etc.

If you want to do it without learning to lockpick your mother's safe deposit box (or steal her key), and without using a crowbar/angle grinder/whatever that lets her know someone's been at it; just put in requests at the various government agencies for them. Yes, it will cost some money.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              just put in requests at the various government agencies for them. Yes, it will cost some money.
              And should be sent to a PO box. Otherwise the strong box will just have copies in it too.
              It's a small start on someday being free.

Comment

Working...
              X