Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You were totally in the right, since she did, after all, ask for the money back.
    I don't get why someone would bother with napkins at all with take-out (unless you're at drive-through and plan to eat in the car like me and my friend always do). I have napkins at home, so I don't need to take any extra.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
      You called her bluff. She loses. Plain and simple.

And, obviously the person in line behind her thought it was fine.
      We all need to start doing that more often (calling their bluff) - might make 'em think twice before mouthing off.

*thinks*

Nah.

But it'll make US feel better!
      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth draconis View Post
        Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster...

was pretty much her reaction and then informed us that shes in customer service... blah blah blah, not telling us how to do our job, but... blah blah blah, I'm the customer...
        Welcome to the board!

I find myself agreeing with everyone else: I think you handled the situation perfectly. You gave the woman what she asked for (although probably not what she wanted) and you were polite about it - that's the definition of good customer service! The fact that you were able to tweak her in the process is just icing on the cake.

On a related note, does anyone else cringe when they deal with someone who starts a sentence with "Well I work in customer service and..." Seems to me like these are the same people who behave as if they've never even heard of a customer service job, nevermind worked in one...
        Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

i hate that, but then i smile back cut them off and say 'really! wonderful. Then understand about company policy and you of course under that as much as the customer would like it to be they are not alway right, and of course you understand the law and how that now that im refusing to serve you its your own fault and im well within my rights, and of course you understand that working for customer service means nothing outside your job' then turn around call ym manger and say 'Im not serving them, if you want to go ahead'
          only had to do it once and the *itch huffed away

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
            I hate those who are in customer service and throw that around as if it has some clout!
            First to OP, nicely done. If she needed napkins that bad she could've ask for some paper towels or something. She could even had *gasp* gone to the store herself and picked some up. OH THE HUMANITY!

I actually do the opposite with the "I worked customer service" line. I use it to calm freaking out workers who are helping me. Let me pull out a recent time.

Now I am lucky to have a LARP near me. Yes I found the board via the Geebas comic. Anyways, I do NPCing there and usually we get a free dinner from the owner since we're practically killing ourselves and dealing with the occasional dumbarse player who has to cheat. When 1 event the owner barely got enough food to feed half his players, let alone his NPC's. Since I actually live in the area and wasn't about to let everyone starve I took orders and ran to the local fast food joint. In full make up and costume at 6:30 pm.

I get to the place and I'm getting funny looks on top of me also being in a bad mood (from the owner screwing us) and a hurry (since we had a time limit till mass destruction). I'm sure I was a mildly scary sight.

They manage to take my 10 separate orders of mass amount of food well enough. Unfortunately I worked at a different one of the chain and as such could understand some of the implications as I see a worker pulling out a large number of empty meat trays.

So the cashier comes up to look scared out of his mind. I can just see him imagining me exploding cause I'm in a hurry and looking pissed even though I was perfectly polite and nice to him.

CASH: Ma'am I'm really sorry....
            ME: 10 minutes on meat and they told you to tell the scary angry lady she has to wait didn't they?
            CASH: How did you know?
            ME: I use to work in these stores and worked customer service my whole adult life. Don't worry, crap happens and I can wait.

I've never seen someone so relieved in my life!
            "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

OP: You were sooo in the right. You gave the customer precisely what she asked for, AND you kicked ass at the same time. Good job!

Mamadrae: One of my favorite things is when a CSR has to tell me that they're out of something, etc. and I can see them recoiling and preparing to wince because they assume I'll blow up on them like an SC, only for the them to find that I'm completely fine with it; I always like being surprised by kindness like that when I'm working, too. Although on the other hand, it sucks that we're so used to dealing with crappy customers that we assume everyone's a cranky whiner.

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                I've never seen someone so relieved in my life!
                Awesome!
                I tend to really go out of my way to be nice to service people.

Once, in layaway, one of the ladies that worked on the other side of the store came up and was a total asshat about the whole process. I'm just sitting here thinking, "What the hell is your problem? Don't you understand what a whore you're being?" Guess not.
                Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Awesome!

Once we were running low on the lids for coffee cups. We got two sleeves from another store, but that needed to last us about 8 days. We out up a sign telling customers to ask us for a lid. Most SC's will grab several or knock a bunch on the floor. I had one SC complain that he had to as me for a lid, I explained that situation and he said "well if you don't trust me not to steal, i won't get this coffee" which he had not paid for yet. I took the coffee and dumped it down the drain in full view of the SC. The look on his face was priceless as he stomped off.

Comment

You rock.

Did she ever complain?

BTW, you did right.

7000th post
                    Last edited by Becks; 05-22-2008, 01:54 AM. Reason: post count
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If she did work in customer service you'd think she'd realize that she herself was being a SC. Napkins are hardly anything to cry about.

I would have loved to see her face when you returned her cash though... HEHEHE

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        You called her bluff. She loses. Plain and simple.

And, obviously the person in line behind her thought it was fine.
                        THAT person probably loved it because he didn't have to wait. Everybody's Happy!

I'd have loved to have been there to see it.

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                        Since I actually live in the area and wasn't about to let everyone starve I took orders and ran to the local fast food joint. In full make up and costume at 6:30 pm.

I get to the place and I'm getting funny looks on top of me also being in a bad mood (from the owner screwing us) and a hurry (since we had a time limit till mass destruction). I'm sure I was a mildly scary sight.
                        That's known Freaking Out the Mundanes where I LARP. We tend to do it often by going to a restaurant (with reservations pre-made) after a game. Most of us go in full garb.

Eric the Grey
                        Last edited by Eric the Grey; 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM.
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                        X