Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what comics are we all reading? (Inspired by Cazzi's books post)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comic Books:

Zenescope comics: Grimm Fairy Tales (the main story line), plus their Dream Eater Saga (parts 1-12).

Aspen Comics: The Executive Assistant series: Orchid, Lotus, Violet, and the original title: Iris

The Northlanders comic by Vertigo (a division of DC).

I'm getting the trades of certain comics like Salem's Daughter by Zenescope and Locke & Key from IDW.

Comment

If we're talking web comics, I read Punch and Pie and Retail. Otherwise, I'm not a comic person and I still hold a grudge against the manga/graphic novel section of the bookstore from when I used to have to maintain it.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Heh. I actually read a few comics one must purchase, despite null for budget.
        Queen's Knight is a manwah of Drama-- it's total high school girl fluff, but it's in small doses that I can take, rather than like from Dominic Deegan... but I might have gone through too many archive binges with DD.
        Hellboy, need to catch up big time.
        Catena, Two Lumps, Gunnerkrigg Court, Girl Genius (have some rl copies), Yellow Peril, Atomic Laundromat, xkcd, penny arcade, Namesake (take on mythology), Questionable Content, Girls with Slingshots*, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Skin Horse, SinFest (not quite what it's labeled much cleaner I promise), Retail, Hanna is not a Boy's Name (WOD mage?), Lacksadaisy Cats, The Meek, and about a dozen others that I can't recall off the top of my head. I have a folder I need to vet and bookmark.
        oh! I forgot! Viruscomix.com/subnormality. ... thinks way too much, rich, detailed, often depressing. o____O check out the other comics this dude offers. Very cerebral, in an almost poppy kind of way.
        Standout recommendations: (of stuff online and that I believe need moar luuuuv)
        Skin Deep: lovely art, interesting characters, newish/less-seen (heh) take on mythology in the modern world. The art does improve I swear. She's been updating more, thank ink.
        Realm of Atland (def. pg-13, but mostly for luscious women as per artist/author's preference, occasional gore, VERY well written in my opinion, possibly not safe for work, but there's no onscreen sex or gratuitous/ultraviolence/nakedness. Possibly not even cursing.) Sword and horses, elf/dwarf/magic fantasy... starts out with the main character dying. Has gone down from once a week to once every other/not colored due to stuff in the dude's life.
        Spiddrelli-- O___O you must read this. sound may be required. It's... heh. Interesting. so far sfw
        Sequential Art: cute, small, clean, hive-mind squirrel-girls. British. :3 Slice of life, plus weirdness magnet. sfw
        Blipcomic.com (blip): ... odd. Interesting. mostly slice of life, but so much behind-the-scene stuff that the main character isn't aware of... will be interesting to see where this goes! sfw
        String Theory: lovely art, twisted people. Set in a retro-future, in the same way that Fallout games were. ... kinda not sfw. No nudity, but there is blood and violence on occasions. Like the current page. ._____. The art does shift, but all of it is still to my sense of aesthetics.
        Erfworld: if you read only one comic from here (and you are a gamer geek of any/every sort)... you must read this. It. Is. EPIC. Serious. You'll get more of the references the more types of games you play: RPG, Rouge-likes, WOW-likes, RTS, board games, cultural references abound... but the story is still awesome. ... plot happens. XD you'll get it once you start reading! And yes... the references are important, but in a way that tips off those beyond the fourth wall. Archives might be a bit confusing, there's text updates every once in a while too... The art does shift a bit, but it still keeps much the same ... tone. sfw.

Only a few are done in manga style, and I'd recommend all of these comics. Due to copyright laws, online manga and anime sites are both legal and very lively (for the most part. If it's licensed for distribution in the U.S., then it's not legal to view in the U.S. and typically get taken down from sites like mangafox.com-- like D.GrayMan did recently.) Fan-subs I believe are legal, but IANAL! o_o

*dildos and booze abound. Beware. other than that, totally pg/pg-13 some comics. mostly pg.
        Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 08-27-2011, 10:50 PM. Reason: more tiny info bits
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Got the first 2 omnibus eds of Hack/Slash. As a comics fan and an old school horror fan, I love it to pieces.

First, Robert Kirkman shows up in one of the issues. Then freaking Chucky shows up. Also, the gore is supremely over the top and absolutely wonderful.

Not for everyone, but I do like me some schlock.

Comment

Devils Panties, Sinfest, Questionable Content. XKCD, Nic Buxom (NSFW), Fluffy Bunny Domination (slightly NSFW), Girls with Slingshots, and Wasted Talent.

All online.
            "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I JUST started reading Preacher. Picked up the first two volumes at the local comic book shop because I heard about it on a podcast. I'm not much of a comics person but I heard good things. So far I'm enjoying it...waiting for the story to get going for real. About halfway through the first volume as of this morning.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                I JUST started reading Preacher. Picked up the first two volumes at the local comic book shop because I heard about it on a podcast. I'm not much of a comics person but I heard good things. So far I'm enjoying it...waiting for the story to get going for real. About halfway through the first volume as of this morning.
                Keep at it is my advice...things don't really pick up till about the 4th arc i think. (prob vol. 3, dunno how the TPB's are structured.)

Comment

I have never read Preacher but I love Garth Ennis. He was the best Punisher writer, and The Boys is just sick fun.

Husband and I were discussing the DC reboot tonight. We're going to be reading Stromwatch (Martian Manhunter is his favorite, and MM + gay dudes was all I needed to hear!) when it comes out. We also came to the conclusion that a lot of the new costumes are awful (poor Catwoman!). And no Huntress in Birds of Prey? This hurts my heart.

Then we had the following conversation:

H: I am no longer excited about the new Superman movie.

Me: Why?

H: Look at these pictures from the set. What's missing?

Me: Um...hey, where are his red undies?!

H: Exactly! There's his package just sticking out there for everyone to see! The red undies held it in!

Me: I never spent much time thinking about Superman's junk.

H: YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO!

https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Newspaper comic strips: Garfield and Zits.

Oh dear lord I LOVE Zits.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Lately, just...
                      The Boys (and spinoffs like Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker)
                      Kick Ass 2 (when it gets released)
                      Superior (when it gets released)
                      And when the "new 52" start up I'll be picking up the Green Lantern titles and deciding which to keep after a couple issues.
                      It makes sense.

Comment

Yeah, Preacher is a good read. One of my favorites. I really dug Punisher, too. Spacker Dave!

Anyone into Transmetropolitan?

I'll give a list of notables:

Mage is probably my all time favorite.
                        Petrefax
                        Sandman
                        Dead World
                        Hit Man
                        Most of the old Valiant titles from (what was it?) the eighties, I think. Archer and Armstrong and so forth.
                        A Distant Soil
                        Of course, I'm a chick so I've read the obligatory Elfquest

I'm sure I've left more out than I've remembered.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          Anyone into Transmetropolitan?
                          I bloody adored that book. Goofy as hell at first, with moments of genius sincerity, and then it turns into a phenomenal ride. I gotta dig that out again.

Comment

I've read it a couple times. Really one of my top five favorites.

I can't go through a toll booth without muttering under my breath "I'll be back for you, shit eyes."

Comment

The Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
                              I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

pet shop of horrors: Tokyo, and I pick up various one-shot anthologies here and there(Zombie tales, marvel zombies series collections)
                                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                                X