Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing can be a hobby, and it doesn't have to cost much. Even if you don't always have access to a computer, a couple of cheap notebooks and pens can last you a while. Just sayin', 'cause your posts are well-written. Sometimes it's nice to "go somewhere else for a while" even if it's only in your own head
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Right now is a good time to buy pens and paper or notebooks too--most bigbox stores like Malmart still have sale prices on their school supplies!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Writing can be a hobby, and it doesn't have to cost much. Even if you don't always have access to a computer, a couple of cheap notebooks and pens can last you a while. Just sayin', 'cause your posts are well-written. Sometimes it's nice to "go somewhere else for a while" even if it's only in your own head
        Well written? (looks around) *MY* posts? (looks around some more) Hhn, how'd THAT happen?

Seriously tho, thank your for the compliment. Having some writing materials onhand is a wonderful idea.

And going 'somewhere else' in my head..... well, it's the only vacations I get. One day I may just stay there. On the other side of my head, I mean.

Comment

xaenon, I'm in Western North Carolina and I know of three factories that are or will soon be hiring. Long shot, I know, but I thought I would throw it out to you. PM me if you need to. Otherwise, I wish you only the very best of luck. I'm sorry you've been shoved into the situation you're in.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Got a job offer this morning.

Here's the situation as it stands right now:

It's quite a commute, considering the 'general labor' nature of the work - 45 miles one-way. However, this is mitigated slightly by the fact that it's four tens instead of five eights. It's still 360 miles a week.

The pay will be $11.50 an hour, with strong possibility (likelihood, in fact) of overtime during the coming holiday season. There's even the option of benefits, though I probably won't be able to take advantage of them right away.

I'm not out of the proverbial woods yet, though. I'm still VERY far behind with rent, and it's unclear at this point whether or not I'll be able to keep the apartment. IF the landlord wants to be reasonable, MAYBE. If not, well, I've done the whole 'outdoors' bit before. I can't be mad at the landlord - none of this is HIS fault. Yeah, 'homeless' sucks, but at least there's a job to help me dig back out of it. If that's the way things shake out, I'll probably be back under a roof again in November.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks to all of you who've offered advice, comfort, and encouragement. I really am grateful.

Comment

I would strongly consider moving at this point. Better than getting an eviction on your record, and it would save you a ton of gas. Yes, it sucks, but it may be your best option at this point. Better to drive 45 miles occasionally to visit people left behind than ever DAY for work. I used to commute about 30 miles ROUND TRIP to work every day, and it was exhausting. I can't imagine spending even more time in the car every day-I was spending 2.5 hours as it was!

Comment

Also less chance of accidents/death due to accidents. ... you could always use the time to listen to audio books? :\
                Glad you found work, however.
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

xaenon,
                  Not sure if you took the job with the commute or not, but I heard on the news that the Amazon distribution center by the airport (CVG) was looking to hire quite a few employees. Probably for the Christmas rush, but it would be something in the meantime. Meijer is always hiring too. They take a while to get back to you though.
                  Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Quoth ohsobitter View Post
                    xaenon,
                    Not sure if you took the job with the commute or not, but I heard on the news that the Amazon distribution center by the airport (CVG) was looking to hire quite a few employees. Probably for the Christmas rush, but it would be something in the meantime. Meijer is always hiring too. They take a while to get back to you though.
                    Heh. Funny you should mention that - the job I accepted *IS* Amazon.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                      I would strongly consider moving at this point. Better than getting an eviction on your record, and it would save you a ton of gas. Yes, it sucks, but it may be your best option at this point. Better to drive 45 miles occasionally to visit people left behind than ever DAY for work. I used to commute about 30 miles ROUND TRIP to work every day, and it was exhausting. I can't imagine spending even more time in the car every day-I was spending 2.5 hours as it was!
                      I'd love to move right now, but I lack the resources (read: I'm broke). And the way things have arranged themselves, I still have to drive a lot no matter where I live (long story, I'll omit it unless someone asks).

Two and a half hours for a 30-mile round trip commute? Wow - must have been all rush-hour.

The job I accepted is at night - I start at like 7pm and work until like 5:30 am, which means I can neatly avoid the vast majority of the bumper-to-bumper shit. And, it's almost entirely highway from the front door to the job. I figure just under an hour in either direction.

The best-case scenario at this point is if I can convince the landlord to work with me, allowing me to stay where I am. I know, it's a lot of catching-up to do, which I theoretically *COULD* avoid by walking away - but I don't want to be the guy who did that. Like I said before, I'm not mad at the landlord - it isn't HIS fault my world blew up, and if he feels he has to toss me out, well, I understand why he has to. I'm hoping I can convince him that I'll be in a position to make good on the back rent soon, and that it would be to the advantage of BOTH of us if he can wait just a little while longer....
                      Last edited by xaenon; 09-17-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
                        The job I accepted is at night - I start at like 7pm and work until like 5:30 am, which means I can neatly avoid the vast majority of the bumper-to-bumper shit. And, it's almost entirely highway from the front door to the job. I figure just under an hour in either direction.
                        The only prob I see you having is leaving there at 530a and taking 275 east back to where you live. The first part of rush hour starts around that time down there, but then again - you're headed in the opposite direction of the traffic, so it might not be too bad.

There's a pretty nice Remke's market over there that has lunch items, but I don't think it's 24/7. There's also an Arby's and a Gold Star on the other side of the overpass. The waffle house right there is, of course, 24/7. That might come in handy
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                          The only prob I see you having is leaving there at 530a and taking 275 east back to where you live. The first part of rush hour starts around that time down there, but then again - you're headed in the opposite direction of the traffic, so it might not be too bad.

There's a pretty nice Remke's market over there that has lunch items, but I don't think it's 24/7. There's also an Arby's and a Gold Star on the other side of the overpass. The waffle house right there is, of course, 24/7. That might come in handy
                          Yeah, traffic's starting to increase right around then, but usually the heavy delays don't get going until closer to 6:30 or 7:00 - by that time, I'll be home or very nearly so.

The Remke's is in the same office park as SMX, the 'agency' that does Amazon's hiring. Given the working hours and the money situation, odds are I'll be packing my lunch, tho - sammiches and leftovers and stuff.

Comment

there's tons of advice out there on making your budget go further, especially with food; and just because you po' don't mean that you have to be deprived. Like I mentioned, audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio materials abound for hobbyists, nerds, and such, for those trips to the store, you can grow some veggies yourself, like those mixed salad greens (cheap, quick) so you won't have to shell out five bucks at the store for them, that sort of thing. Dollar stores are godsends... and if you have sleep problems with the new schedule, there's tons of advice out there on that as well...
                            and again, congratulations on finding work!
                            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                            X