Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only allergy I can think of that really bothers me is Sulfates. It's still a pain in the ass to manage, considering almost every single liquid-type soap has it, but it's easy enough to avoid in the bath. It doesn't bother me much if it's a shampoo because you wash it off quickly, but if it's a soap, my hands get all puffy and start hurting. It drives me crazy, because it's impossible to avoid it when you're a cashier!

Other small irritations are melons, and some scents of lotion. So I just avoid melon, and use Burt's Bees lotion. I don't even think I'm that irritated with melon, it's just that I eat too damn much of it.
    My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Penicillin. Sulfa drugs (nasty welts from my ankles up to my scalp). Dust and pollen set off my hay fever. I also have allergic conjunctivitis which comes and goes....no idea what sets it off, my eyes start itching & watering, very uncomfortable.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You know, I kind of have developed a sensitivity to SLS and sulfites, evidently. I don't know it that's an allergy or not.

And they put me on a sufa antibiotic that I thought was going to kill me.

I mean, it was a damn rash, and not even a bad one. Talk about the cure being worse than the complaint.

So yeah. Sulfites and sulfa. Almost forgot.

Comment

My mom's voice turns husky after eating any melon, and green tomatoes. There's some others I've forgotten for her...
          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Let's see:

Medicine-wise: Codine, Tetraclycline, Latex
            Food wise: Crab and Lobster

I've been told that if you're allergic to Latex, then you're allergic to certain fruits, but I've never seen it happen. I eat bananas with no problems. I think my latex allergy is more contact than anything.

The crab and lobster I will swell up. If the husband has crab and kisses me, my lips will puff up and stay that way for at least 24 hours or unless I take some benadry. I do know if I eat either, I get violently ill. Yet I can eat shrimp like they're going out of style.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Airborne sex dust sent into the air by various and sundry menstruating plants. Which ones I don't know. :-/

Red food dye and certain artificial flavorings. They used to make me hyper and out of control. Now....I dunno what effect they have on me.

And having the latter two allergies diagnosed was not fun. >.<
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Most of nature...got the whole hayfever hell thing going on.

Aloe vera.

Cats.

Live chickens.

Flu shots. [I faint. And the injection site gets wonky. It might not be an actual allergy, per se, but they just told me not to bother getting them with my reaction....]

Lactose intolerance.

Possibly to Monistat. [I'll spare you the details of that reaction... -shudders-]

Bad reaction to amoxicillin [I should probably get tested to find out if that was a fluke or if I need to avoid the -cillins.]

MSG gives me a headache and makes me sick to my stomach.

Aspartame gives me a killer death headache. Even just a little bit. >.<

Puppies.

Most laundry detergents, even tide I think...gives me horrible rash on my legs.

Possibly pineapple because if I eat fresh pineapple, it feels like my mouth has just been stabbed with a million paper cuts...ouch.

Dust mites.

Cigarette smoke [KILLS my asthma hardcore ].

Bleach makes me have a difficult time breathing and start coughing...

I think that's it, but I'm probably wrong...
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Let's see....

- The usual mild seasonal reactions that basically amount to prolonged but extremely tame cold. Most likely pollens and the like, though it happens in Autumn too.

- Dandelions if the pollen gets in my face in large amounts (i.e. don't have a dandelion fight with my best friend during recess).

- Marigolds, apparently, if they've been freshly picked and I get the chore of cleaning off half the leaves so we can fit them in a vase. It would seem that I'm part aphid. Man, that was awful.

- Dust. The older it is, the worse the reaction. Just a bit of fresh dust from cleaning, my nose runs and my eyes might itch. Cleaning out an old closet that hasn't been touched in years and beating dust out of a hideously old bolster pillow I found in the corner? Nose and eyes up to eleven, and I wake up with an aching sore throat from the nasal drip and inability to breathe except through my mouth all night long. Bleh.

- Ragweed in particular, though I tend to avoid the plant if I can, so I haven't had a reaction that I've noticed in years.

- Exactly one cat in all of creation, who has long since gone to meet his maker. But then, this cat gave everyone an allergic reaction, no matter how not-allergic they actually were. And the cat loved people, and would rub all over anyone's face if given the chance.

- Oh, and apparently heat, to some extent. If my legs (and sometimes my elbows) get too warm, especially if I'm wearing denim and sitting near a heater, then I get a rash like hives that itches like crazy for the next half hour to hour, depending on how quickly I get my skin cooled off. It's only my elbows, knees, and lower legs, and as far as I can tell, it's merely heat-triggered. It's weird.

Fortunately, there are no food or medicine allergies in there, nor is there anything that gives me a worse reaction than "very bad cold." No ER visits for me, thank you. And so far the kiddos seem to have escaped even those allergies, knock on wood. Hooray for Hubby's constitution.
                  Last edited by Kogarashi; 09-06-2011, 03:11 AM.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I forgot to add

E-Myicin - I break out in hives

Comment

My allergies basically fall into two categories

Foods
                      ~Garlic (I get headaches if I eat too much of it)
                      ~Onions (throat gets itchy, eyes get runny, head gets poundy)
                      ~Orange juice from concentrate (makes my stomach very angry)
                      ~Milk (also does very bad things to my stomach. However, I can eat cheese and ice cream and yogurt and such with no problems, for some reason)

Non-Foods That Are Still Somewhat Related to Each Other
                      ~ Morphine
                      ~ Vancomycin (Red Man's Syndrome. Every fracking time.)
                      ~ Benadryl (yes, I do see the irony in being allergic to an allergy med)
                      ~ Latex

I'm also highly sensitive to spicy foods, altitude changes, drastic weather changes, and caffeine.
                      Last edited by firecat88; 09-06-2011, 05:50 PM.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

My allergies.

Raw tomatoes. Seriously, cook them and I am fine. I will break out in hives if I come into contract with the plant itself too. I do not handle them until cooked.

Allergic to trees and grass and the outdoors in general. I have found I had non outdoor allergies in Alaska or Florida. but I am a mess in Nebraka and Indiana.

I am allergic to anything cute and fuzzy.

Also all dust.
                        My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Pollen, especially cottonwood
                          Poison ivy, oak, summac
                          Penecillin
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                            I'm also highly sensitive to spicy foods, (snip) caffeine.
                            I thought I was the only one. Caffeine (and Guarana) gives me migraines, rapid heart beat, dizziness and nausea. Even the smallest amount, like from a mug that has had coffee in it. Or when the starbucks person decided to make my hot chocolate with a spoon used for coffee.

Mostly I react to preservatives and artificial colours. My childhood was so much fun for my parents. I lllloooovvveeedddd red cordial and allen's red frogs and basically any and all lollies.
                            Fortunately, most of the ones I used to react to have now been banned or are no longer used.

Other things include lilies, lavender, jasmine, any perfume with those base notes, asprin/disprin, cigarette/cigar smoke, pre-mix alcohols, ciders, chili (but ok with peppers ), paints, industrial glues, new car smell, some laundry products and some make ups.

Nothing results in hospital visits so far (touch wood). Mostly just anything from migraines, nausea, dizziness to slight to covers whole body rashes. All mostly cured by good drugs and sleep. Except for any drugs from the 'sprin' family. They mean massive nose bleeds.
                            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Epipen -
                              Mushrooms
                              Most antibiotics other than Sulfas and a couple others, my doc always has me do the first dose of anything in the office just in case.

Sensitivity to
                              coconut/tropical/palm - gives me the running shits
                              bivalves - ranges from projectile vomiting clams/oysters/mussels to the runs scallops/coquina
                              celebrex - nobody needs ankles the size of volleyballs...

On the plus side, I am absolutely not allergic to poison ivy, oak or sumac
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I though chocolate had caffeine in it?
                                I remember taking caffeine 'stay awake' pills-- half hour later, tunnel vision, couldn't do anything except stare at the white ceiling... think I fell asleep eventually...
                                only if you need a zombie should you give me caffeine pills!
                                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                                X