X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicinal

Beta B blockers, like atonolol and propenolol
    Zyban
    Adhesive backing found on most brands of bandaids and medicinal patches, any dressing must be taped on with medical tape, not self adhesive or I end up with a nasty rash.

Non-medicinal

Lactose intolerant
    Most flower based perfumes
    Most products that have a flower based scent to them
    Snow mold
    Seasonal in the fall
    Most brands of laundry detergent
    Aspartame
    Pineapple and pineapple juice
    Fish
    Mushrooms
    Asparagus

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Airborne sex dust sent into the air by various and sundry menstruating plants. Which ones I don't know. :-/
      You win for the best way to describe pollenation

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
      I though chocolate had caffeine in it?
      It does, but not to the same extent as a cup of coffee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine Scroll down about 2/3 way down there's a table showing the caffeine content of various food/drink.

ETA:

I don't have any major allergies (i.e. Epipen and ER).

I'm allergic to penicillin but I can't remember what the reaction was exactly.
      I also get hayfever and I seem to be somewhat allergic to temperature changes...I dunno. That's more or a minor/moderate allergy.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I don't know that this is actually an allergy, but artificial sweeteners of all kinds will make me nauseous with only one bite or swallow, and make me throw up if I eat or drink any more of the thing they're in. I'm also hypersensitive to the taste of all the different ones, which is actually a good thing since I can tell an artificial sweetener is in something before I actually DO swallow it. And I do mean ALL of the low cal/ no cal sweeteners, including splenda.

Latex gloves make my hands dry out to the point of literally cracking and bleeding and cause my psoriasis to flare badly, but I don't have problems with random incidental contact with latex products. Again, don't think that would actually count as an allergy.

I'm also extremely sensitive to some scents. Quite a lot of perfumes will give me migraine headaches and make me go all green with nausea, and the smell of popcorn being popped does it too (it's for this reason that I absolutely DETEST popcorn). What really sucks is that if some scent triggers even the barest hint of a reaction with me, then getting even the tiniest whiff of the same scent again equals instant misery. Plus, whatever odor it is then gets lodged in my sinuses and I can't smell ANYTHING else for a couple of hours. Blargh. Oddly enough, tobacco smoke is NOT one of the scents that triggers a reaction, and can in fact help me get over one more quickly.

I used to be allergic to ragweed as a child, but I don't know if I still am. It's been decades since I came into contact with the stuff, and it doesn't grow where I live now. Also as a child I was allergic to chocolate ice cream, but my mother didn't believe me in spite of the fact that I ALWAYS threw up after she made me eat any. *sigh* At least that one I know I've outgrown, and without substantial mental scarring because now I can eat and enjoy chocolate based ice cream flavors.

My boyfriend is another matter. He's allergic to something in the air here that gets kicked up when the wind is blowing, probably dust since it doesn't seem to be seasonal at all. And we live in an area where the wind is almost always blowing, and it's dusty as hell..... We go through a lot of tissues and sinus and allergy products.
        Last edited by Kittish; 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM. Reason: Addition
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'm allergic to Nickel. Never knew that until I was in the military and we had to wear our locker keys on a cheap chain around our necks. I had a horrible oozing rash around my neck and down my chest where the key hung; All the sweating during work outs made it spread worse. At least it helps me identify cheap or plated jewelry!

The BF is allergic to Aspertame; makes him sick to his stomach. We even check toothpaste because some use it as a sweetener.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I only have one known allergy..

penicillin

Other then that I must have the anti-allergy gene.

Bee Stings to me feel like a needle prick...Very very small bump

Poison Ivy/Oak.. hardly any reaction.

No food allergies..
            Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Deadly (Epipen and ER):
              Bees/Wasps/Hornets, etc. If it flies and has a stinger, I'm deathly allergic.

Strong reaction:
              Erythrmycin and Sulfa based drugs. I start throwing up within minutes.

I'm not allergic to any foods that I know of, but aspertame and saccharin both give me migraines. Splenda is fine.

My friends and co-workers insist I'm allergic to something because I will occasionally get into sneezing fits that last for about 5 minutes non-stop (and I mean a sneeze every 5 seconds or so for five minutes, no exceptions). Problem is, it happens at random times and places, so I can't pinpoint what the trigger is.

Oh, and I sneeze in bright sunlight.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

No serious allergy's

I'm intolerant to rhubarb and garlic both make me sick, garlic to a less extent but if I eat it I get stomach pain and will throw up if I eat too much. I love garlic too.
                Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Intolerant to Dairy and Caffeine. Usually ok as long as one of the below allergies isn't playing up.

Allergies to Pollution, dust, Perfumes, Ironing water (probably the purfume), Fresh cut grass, Anything that makes the air "thick" (but not cigarette smoke- until the next day when I can smell it on clothing. "Fresh" cigarette smoke is fine!).

And lately the smell of fresh peanuts and/or bananas makes me feel really ill. I'm going to be a joy when I am pregnant!
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Mine

Medicinal:

-Sulfa drugs
                    -Toradol
                    -Demerol
                    -Asprin
                    -Morphine
                    -Imitrex
                    -Codiene

Other:

Sudden adrenaline spikes
                    Citrus
                    Disinfectants
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Quoth HappyFun Ball View Post
                      Sudden adrenaline spikes
                      So no jumping out and scaring you then?
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I have never had an actual allergy test; these are all from personal experience.

Allergies:
                        Bananas (break out in a rash)
                        Sulfa (rash)
                        Dust/pollen/air pollution (breathing problems)

The cyclobenzaprene I took for my tenosynovitis made me feel suicidal. That's a bad reaction, not an allergy, but I still list it under "allergies" on any medical forms with said explanation, as I really don't want to go through that again.
                        Last edited by XCashier; 09-10-2011, 01:24 AM.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Nothing ER worthy, but really annoying....

Sunlight/UV

B
                          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I don't have any real allergies, and trust when I say I count myself VERY lucky. I do get the normal seasonal sinus type reaction when the temperatures start fluctuating but that's about it. Oh, and I did seem to have a small rash/raw spot under a bandaid that was left on my hand for a long while over a bad cut that I'd gotten at work. I'm not sure if it was a latex sensitivity or what it was. Now my mother, on the other hand, was almost deathly allergic to Codeine, even in its generic form. Yet, a doc insisted on giving her a generic form of it once...Yeah...Needless to say that doc got his ass chewed!

ETA: It's more of a sensitivity than anything, but some artificial sweeteners give me the runs, badly. They're on my do not eat list!
                            Last edited by BrenDAnn; 09-10-2011, 03:20 AM.
                            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                              I though chocolate had caffeine in it?
                              Yep, it does. But I only react to the stuff that's in tea & coffee.

Doc explained it to me when I was about 8. She said that they are very slightly different in composition. So you can react to it from one source but not another.

I don't get it either. I can eat chocolate until I explode but can't go near coffee.
                              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                                I don't get it either. I can eat chocolate until I explode but can't go near coffee.
                                I have the same issue. I can eat chocolate, but certain sodas (Mountain Dew in particular) make me sick.
                                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                                X