X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Crossbow View Post
    Oh, and I sneeze in bright sunlight.
    Huh. I thought I was the only one who did that. Nice to know I'm not alone.

There's a type of medicine I'm allergic to, but unfortunately I don't think I'm remembering the name correctly.

I thought it was called Pedizol, but when I looked it up on Wikipedia under a list of antibiotics to see if I had it spelled correctly, I couldn't find it. It's a white liquid that tastes like crap.

I had to take it for a throat infection when I was 11, and it really messed me up.

- I developed a fever
    - I broke out in hives
    - I felt sore all over
    - I was incredibly weak (I couldn't even sit up without assistance)
    - I couldn't eat anything (I just threw it all up)

But I haven't had any throat infections since then, so I haven't had to worry about being prescribed it again.

That's really my only major allergy, though I do have slight reactions to other substances:

- Energy drinks (like Blue Ginger, my heart starts to beat rapidly, I feel a bit dizzy, and I get somewhat nauseous, though I don't get migraines. Doesn't stop me from drinking them from time to time though. )

- A certain kind of flavouring, though I'm not sure which one. (Around Christmas my store got in a bunch of treats to sell, and one of them was spiced peanuts. The peanuts had different spices and flavours on them, like brown sugar, cinnamon, etc. I had some peanuts and when I woke up the next day my lips were swollen. I know it's not the nuts themselves, because I've had peanuts and other nut products since then with no problem.)

And I'm worried that I'll develop a kiwi allergy one day, which sucks because I love kiwi. My mother and maternal grandfather are both allergic to it (though her reaction is stronger than his; he only has a mild allergy while she's deathly allergic to it), so I'm worried that it runs in the family and that I could end up being allergic to it as well.
    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
      Huh. I thought I was the only one who did that. Nice to know I'm not alone.
      Oh, you're not. Hubby and SecondDaughter both have that. Something about genetics and how your tear ducts drain when you squint in the sunlight. I don't understand it myself, but then I've never had that trait.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Having kept an eye on the allergy warnings this year (since first getting the horrible sneezing and eye watering 10 years ago. Guh, now I've made myself feel old again) I'd say I've got mostly grass and tree pollen allergies. Mostly spring and early summer is a nightmare for me, but goes away, thankfully.

Not an allergy per say but... okay, this is an odd one. I sometimes don't have a sense of smell. Sometimes I do. But always, whenever passing somewhere, such as a candle store in the mall, that has an excess of fake fragrances, or even just one candle in the house with a fake fragrance, it seriously screws me up. I can't focus on much other than the smell, and get quite ill feeling in my stomach.

Makes it hard when I go to get my Cigars in the mall...

Comment

I also had the skin-pricking test and that determined I had a mild allergy to freshly-mowed grass. Not a life-threatening allergy by any means - if I smelled it, I would just go into fits of coughing. Thankfully I outgrew this in about two years.

Too much caffeine makes me unable to breathe properly too, so my limit is usually two cups of coffee a day. Not an allergy, but kind of annoying when I love coffee so much.

Comment

Allium Intolerant: Anything related to garlic and onions makes me extremely sick. I can't even eat it in small amount unless it's been cooked to death. Dehydrated garlic or onion is a no-no, so most mixed spices are out. Makes it hard to eat out, I prefer to cook for myself. The smell of cooking onion makes my throat sore and I become sick to my stomach around it. I've been told I should avoid handling cut lilies as they're alliums and I could have a reaction to the sap.

Nickel Allergy: Minor allergy to it in jewelry - earrings containing it will make my lobes swell up and become filled with pus.

Latex Allergy: Can't use latex gloves or condoms, or have extended contact with it in other things. More than limited contact will make my skin turn red and itch.

Comment

I have the usual suspects as it was put earlier, dust, pollen, hay fever and what not.

Don't really consider it an allergy, but eating bananas makes my throat itch really bad.

I also have issues with extreme and sudden temperature changes triggering asthma attacks, though this one is not as severe as it was 10 years ago.

I'm also severely allergic to cats. Just being in the same house as a cat makes my eyes swell shut.

Grass makes me break out in hives if it rubs up against my skin. So does topical Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (aka topical Benadryl or the like) which is ironic considering its used to treat hives. Guess how I found out

Comment

Not a damn thing, that I know of. My great uncle Ernie was the same way.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                X