X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Last, Some Good News...

Did I say good? I meant OMG AWESOME!!

A couple months ago, a coworker of mine approached me with an offer to join him and a third coworker in setting up a private security company. They're both good friends of mine (the other girl is my work bestie). He used to basically run a security company for 7 years, until the owner decided to pick up and move out of state, shutting everything down. So he's been stuck at the prison ever since, and trying to get his own company started.

He has an investor who already runs an electronics business and is VERY interested in branching out into other ventures. Problem is, my coworker is so down about the failed dealings he's had in the past that he isn't motivated to do anything. So he said if I'd kick him in the ass, he'd show me what to do, and by doing so he'd be getting himself back in the swing of things.

I told him I've never run ANYTHING, let alone a company. He said he wouldn't have asked me if he didn't already know I can do it. I asked him at our initial discussion if I could be pretty on the job. He said, "I don't care if you're a guy or a girl, as long as you don't flip-flop. I want the same thing every single day." I gave him every assurance I'll be a girl every day.

So he started showing me where to get information on things like insurance, how to find companies needing security, and how to put in bids. Then he gave me a list of things to write up, proposed policies and such, and then I emailed them to him. Last week, we were going to meet at his house and go over the stuff I sent him. The investor dropped by unexpectedly, and he hadn't even looked at the stuff I sent him the week before (lazy ass). So he just printed my stuff out... and the investor was really impressed. He had some very minor changes to my proposals, just a few things he wanted clarified in writing, and that was that. My reaction to this news was, "But... but... I don't know what I'm doing. I was making shit up!" And my coworker said, "Well, you're damn good at it."

Today we were to meet the investor and talk about money and present our final business plan. Buuuut, my coworker informed me that the investor called him yesterday. He gave us the green light, and we're in business. So next week, we all meet to sign the contracts and make the company official. And the investor has been sweet talking one of the clients for his primary business and they are VERY interested in signing us on for security. I don't know the details, but I know the investor came into this hoping to snag a deal to provide security to one of the major airline manufacturers around here.... so that COULD be it. All I know for sure is that, according to my coworker, IF we get this deal we'll be able to leave our jobs immediately at the start of the year, when the contract would begin. And still be seeking other contracts in the meantime.

This is epic. I'm learning how to run this type of business, and it's not REALLY that complicated. Easier than other jobs I've had, and I'll make more money plus a share of the profits as one of the account managers. So now I'm just gonna cross my fingers and toeses and hope for the best. The company is going to happen, that's already a guaranteed deal. But if we get a major contract right at the starting line, that will be simply amazing.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Yay!!!!

Go Kara! Glad to hear there's some good news.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

This is incredible!
      make sure you're keeping up with de-stressing-- positive stress is just as bad as negative stress!
      Go Kara, go Kara, go Kara!
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

WOO HOOO!

Comment

Go Kara!!! Go Kara!!!!

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Conga rats *does the conga rat dance* That is epic. I may pick your brain eventually about how I will do the same (start a security firm).
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I don't want to jinx it or anything, but it looks like karma is finally trying to balance itself out for you.

Let's hope this trend continues.
              Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! So exciting!!! So happy for you!!
                The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

AWESOME!!!!
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

That's wonderful!
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Sounds great! Best of luck with it!!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wonderful news!!!!!! *happy dance*
                        Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that doesn't make you who you are. It is the rest of your story who you choose to be. So who are you? - Kung Fu Panda 2

Comment

Awesomeness!!! *makes a mental note to acquire booze tomorrow, erm, today, as it's past midnight here, in order to raise a glass to your success*
                          Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

That is freakin' awesome news, Kara! I'll toast your new business this weekend!
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Way to go, Kara!
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X