This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Texas fires

In all likelihood, everyone has heard about the Bastrop Complex fires by now. Last report I heard was 34,000+ acres burned, 1200+ homes lost, only 50% contained after a week.

I live right in the middle of the area, BUT so far, my place is ok. There have been fires on all 4 sides of us. We evacuated to my Mom's in Austin on Monday, and will not be trying to go back until the fire is contained. With 6 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 handicapped adults, we just can't move as fast as might be necessary.

Our pack of people and animals is safe. That's the important thing. The rest is just stuff. I feel lucky in that many of my friends did lose everything, but again, their packs are safe.

There is another huge fire down in Magnolia area that is doing it's darnedest to be as big as the Bastrop fire. We are all hoping it will be slowed down soon. The Texas Renaissance Fest fairgrounds have not yet been affected, but it's awfully close.

If I was missed this past week, this is why. I've had more urgent things with which to deal.

Everybody, stay safe, and please be careful with any outside fire sources!
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Thanks for checking in.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Glad you're okay! I keep TRF on my FB, so have been keeping updated on the fire.

Had to deal with my first wildfire a week ago. A fire started in Natchitoches Parish and burned for a couple of days. I worked that first night (Friday night) and before I knew it was a wildfire, I remember looking up at our drop yard and thinking, "Huh, funny clouds we're having today." Got to the mill on my first load and looked back north and realized it was a gigantic smoke cloud.

They managed to get the fire contained at some point early the next morning, when the winds from Lee had died down. I remember the smoke starting to settle and freaking out and calling the sheriff's department thinking it was close because the smell of smoke was so strong. I wound up nauseated from all the smoke in the air.

Comment

We've had a few wildfires in San Antonio, but thankfully none of them got as big as Bastrop or Magnolia and there was minimal structural damage involved. We weren't too close to any of them so we didn't have to evacuate, but I'm really nervous we might have to eventually if we don't get rain soon.

Comment

We have not yet been affected beyond bugging out just to be on the safe side. HOWEVER, it turns out that there were 4 men driving around our area setting (smaller) fires on purpose. They have been apprehended, but it is not known if they were the only ones.

If I see anybody setting a fire on purpose, it will be very difficult to keep myself from doing anything more than hit the speed-dial for the county sheriff. But I sure will get the best possible descriptions I can!
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
            I remember the smoke starting to settle and freaking out and calling the sheriff's department thinking it was close because the smell of smoke was so strong. I wound up nauseated from all the smoke in the air.
            Smoke can be toxic. If you're getting lightheaded, nauseous, or anything else, from bushfire (wildfire) smoke, evacuate yourself and animals to a more distant location; even if the fire itself isn't likely to hit your area.

Unfortunately, sometimes (such as Black Saturday in Vic, Australia), there's so much fire that a whole city can be under a pall of smoke. In that case, go to a pharmacy or a hardware store and get a breathing mask, or stay inside and use air conditioning and clean the A/C's filters frequently, or just stay inside with the windows closed.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

There's a pretty big wildfire going on in northern Minnesota and the smoke and ash is getting into Cheeselandialand.

All day today it's smelled like burning outside. And I'm several hundred miles away from the actual fires. In other parts of the state ash is falling.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
              X