Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The next person to interrupt me is going to get throttled.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next person to interrupt me is going to get throttled.

I'm a good worker--I set my own pace, set up my own rotation for working on projects, and it all gets done. Unless people interrupt me.

Yesterday, I kept getting what I call "project whiplash." The tone of what I write is very important, and so switching between projects can take me a few minutes, because I have to sit and get back into the tone of that particular piece. I understand that sometimes something urgent comes up and I need to work on that--no problem, I do that all the time. But when my boss gives me 5 different things to do in the course of an hour, I get project whiplash. I work on one thing for 5 minutes, just beginning to get into the tone of it when-- "Hey, JtA, I need you to work on this right now, it's blah blah blah." POOF! My grasp on the tone of the original one is gone, and now I have to get used to the new one.

ARRRRGH!

Hopefully today will be better. But CEO is in the office early and that never bodes well.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Boss, you need a nice very firm handshake... around the neck!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      Boss, you need a nice very firm handshake... around the neck!
      *snort* Or a simple Kevorkian scarf. (points for the reference!)
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
        Allow me to assist you out.... of this world.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ah, I used to work in an office that had that sort of thing going on.

I'd be in the middle of something, and then get my attention completely sidetracked by a demand that something else needed to be done right now.

I mocked up a board with pegs on it, and made some simple numbered tags. With the caption 'Now Serving Number' and the tags set below.

I had the number to 12, and a pile of tickets on my desk, the first of which started at 46. Whenever someone demanded that I do something, I gave them a ticket and told them I'd get to it as soon as possible.

I got yelled at a bit for that one, but I got a heap of laughs too from others suffering under the same conditions.

Comment

Foamy the Squirrel, no? I seem to remember that being one of the cartoons.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Foamy the Squirrel, no? I seem to remember that being one of the cartoons.
              Bingo! *sings* Oh, cold is the world! But I have Kevorkian scarf....around my neck!"

Yeah. My best friend sang that in the delivery room when she was having her baby, because she hated the blood pressure cuffs.

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
                I'd be in the middle of something, and then get my attention completely sidetracked by a demand that something else needed to be done right now.
                My employer LOVES to do this. He lives by that blasted Outlook Task List...The office manager (DC) has actually had to call him on this more than once, telling him that we cannot FINISH projects as quickly if we're wasting time giving him detailed status updates on every task, every day.

I hate getting my train of thought derailed.

The worst part is, he loves to demand updates when I'm deeply "in the zone" for a project, and he wants the answer NOW, making it really hard to get back INTO the zone once I've dealt with his impatience.
                Last edited by EricKei; 07-26-2009, 03:33 PM. Reason: Train of Thought derails. Thousands of brain cells dead. News at 11.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm a good worker--I set my own pace, set up my own rotation for working on projects, and it all gets done. Unless people interr
                  You ever hear the joke about the interrupting cow?

Comment

This is what is going to happen when JOI gets a hold of that cow.

I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth marlovino View Post
                      This is what is going to happen when JOI gets a hold of that cow.

LOL!! So true...Hey, Dalek, c'mere, I've got a job for you....

Hmm, that reminds me, next holiday for the Dalek is going to be Halloween...what should I dress him up as?

Comment

Working...
                      X