Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seeing both sides, and for me at least it's a very, very tough call. We want to look out for others, and we want others to look out for us. On the other hand, a store wants to protect its employees and avoid litigation, and samaritans have to decide how much risk to take.

I couldn't have chased a purse snatcher if I wanted to - half a block and I'd be leaning on a lamppost trying not to have a heart attack - but we also have to put into perspective the fact that the worst the victim has to look forward to is three days of phone tag getting her cards cancelled and her ID replaced. And probably having her cell phone account deleted if she had one of those. Inconvenient, but not worth a life, a lawsuit, or a job.

So yeah. This one is really, REALLY hard. Still, there are steps you can take that AREN'T putting your life on the line or opening your shop up to lawsuits - memorizing his description and helping with the report, at least. A shopkeeper or employee shouldn't have to stand there like a useless lump when a crime is happening right in front of him, but he shouldn't be expected to jump in front of a dusthead with a switchblade and wrestle him to the ground, either.

Love, Who?

Comment

I've always wondered why some women are unable to recover their purses themselves. I lug all my valuables (mp3 player, cell, GPS, camera, wallet, and textbooks) around in my backpack and if some idiot took it I would be damn sure to chase hir down myself. Books are expensive!

I certainly wouldn't want a non-law enforcement person chasing it down for me, but the store is in a hard place because some people see a customer service hero and will look down on the company for firing him. What the store should have done is promoted him to LP.

Comment

Legally speaking, the manager commited assault and unlawful restraint by tackling the pursesnatcher and holding him until police arrived, and furthermore as an agent of the corporation, he has made them liable should the pursesnatcher file a civil lawsuit.

That's why the store fired him, and that's why stores tell employees not to stop shoplifters.

This is the way the law is. Take any opinions about it over to fratching, or better yet to legislators.

The only thing you can do without breaking the law when dealing with a pursesnatcher or shoplifter is ask them to wait until law enforcement arrives. If the perp refuses to cooperate, you have no legal options other than letting them leave.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I can see both sides too. If that was my mom whose purse was taken, I'd want someone to help her. On the other hand, it can be dangerous. My SD has had a gun pulled on him, and he knows of a case where the shoplifter tripped, hit a parked car head first and died; it's not worth it in that case.
          Voodoo is a very interesting religion for the whole family, even those members of it who are dead. - Good Omens

Comment

I understand the corporate policies that say not to chase down shoplifters or theives. In addition to worries about liability, there's always the chance that the employee will be injured in the attempt. Nobody wants that.

On the other hand, I agree that it shouldn't be a fireable offense. At least, not by itself.

Quoth draggar View Post
            Many stores have strange policies. In my company you are not allowed to use the alarm (panic) buttons if the store is being held up - wait until they leave then use it (then why not call 911 for a faster response?). This supposedly prevents hostage situations.
            My bank has the same policy. Let the robber leave, then push the alarm. Then go lock the door, so he can't get back in. This is (primarily) to avoid hostage situations.

It doesn't matter how much money the robber took, it isn't worth your life or safety to keep him there.

Quoth draggar View Post
            My college library had a nice system - if the alarm went off when you walked though the sensors, the doors locked (temporarily) so you couldn't just push them open to leave (but it was moot if someone else was holding the door open).
            If the person was armed, this would put all the employees and customers in danger. If someone's that desparate that they feel the need to steal, they could be desparate enough to take someone's life.

I don't want anybody to think I'm an alarmist, but I've seen enough real footage of bank robberies, some including hostage situations or deaths, to know that this isn't something you mess around with.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
            X