This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do interviewers lie a lot?

So I've been going to a bunch of interviews over the past few months, and every single one of them ends the same way - they love me, they can't wait to start working with me, they get a great vibe from me, i can expect to hear back in a few days, and it'll most definitely be good news.

And then nothing. I've become that mutant you go on a blind date with. They're nice enough, but you just can't get past the penis growing out of their forehead. So you make small talk and pretend to have enjoyed yourself and then hope to high hell you never see them again.

Yes. Many anyway.
    Its an easier out for them.
    Basically they are spinless and don't want to reject you to your face for whatever reason.
    I think its covered in HR training.

Comment

I think what's happened is that some companies know that they benefit a great deal from having the "pick of the litter" when the economy goes bad. Some let it go to their heads and this results in abusing that litter. But what they dont realize is that when the economy gets good and the shoe's on the other foot and THEY are the ones having trouble finding and keeping workers that many that treated them like shit would not have forgotten and will steer clear of them and that will come back to bite them. I know I will NEVER work for a company that treated me like scum when I interviewed with them.

Comment

I interview people all the time, do I lie? No.

I don't lie about the job or about the opportunities; however, I'm not going to say to someone's face that they're not getting the job and I'm not going to tell them that they got the job either. It don't make me "spineless", it's more professional to give someone the courtesy of finishing the interview even if, during that interview, it becomes clear that they aren't right for the job. If they ask me, "am I going to get the job" I always tell them that I will have a decision for them in x amount of days. Truth is, that very rarely will I know after I interview someone that I'll pick them. Normally it comes down to analyzing two or three different candidates after the interviews.

I do sometimes point out that they're not dressed for the interview or that their behavior isn't appropriate. I did, once, tell a woman that she would have to re-apply when she brought her puppy in a dog carrier to the interview. I love dogs, but seriously... bringing a mini pen puppy to an interview *bonk on the noggin*

I also don't think I'm above anyone either, I was just charged with the task of interviewing people for a position and choosing the best person for the job. It's not easy either, I interviewed 15 people last week and I it took a while to narrow it down. Several great people who were outstanding, I wanted to hire 4!
        Last edited by bubblelittlepally; 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling is hard

Comment

Some lie, some don't.

Maybe you ARE the best interview they've had - until someone aces you out later.

I suspect that they are wanting to keep their options open until they are done with the interviewing process, and then not following through with the contact for whatever reason. Although that might not be their fault (unexpected workload, reassignment, etc.) they really shouldn't imply that you will be contacted if you might not be.

Comment

I'm not sure why anyone would gush over an interviewee, unless they're offering papers right then and there, or unless they're headhunting. It's as unprofessional as telling them right off that they suck.

Typically, the professional response will be "thank you, we have a few more interviews to conduct, but we'll be in touch within x days." Then actually get in touch and let the hopeful know whether or not they've been hired, and if not, whether you invite them to reapply at a later point or let them know that you're keeping their resume on file. Hell, the really good interviewers leave the applicant with a smile and a feeling that they'll get a job in their field shortly, even if it's not *this* job.

Comment

some do some do not.

long story short. went to an 2d interview with the President of the company. interview went GREAT. he loved me (OR so he said) he stated explictly "I want to hire you, bring you on board ASAP. I will talk to my people and start setting things up."

3 days later I get a call at like 7pm (well outside business hours) from some low level HR peon curtly telling me I did not get the job.

during the last round of me looking for a white collar type of job I could not even get a responce back after an interview not a snail mail letter, not an e-mail, no smoke signals no carrier bird nor a telegram written in morse code

most interview were handled professionally with the standard "we have others to interview. if we like what we see in you we will contact you."
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Gotta figure- even if they're not hiring, HR needs to make it LOOK like they're accomplishing something, otherwise they'll be out of a job.

Blow an hour? Two hours? Three hours interviewing people that day? Sure, why not? Maybe you'll find a magical wonderful awesome candidate that you can hire when your company starts hiring again. And if not, hey, it got you out of the office, and you got to kill time shooting the breeze with someone interesting. And you can tell all those folks in departments A through Z, the ones that are short-handed, that you've really been looking hard!

Then you go home, and spend all your money on hookers and blow.
                "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

It seems that HR departments are staffed by slightly "damaged" people. They love to play games with applicants and employees. They enjoy things like posting jobs that don't exist and losing paperwork involving pay.

It is not surprising that they are too chickensh!t to tell an applicant that they were not hired. They also tell new hires that they got the job just a few hours before orientation begins.

The HR office is always closed and they NEVER respond to phone calls or e-mails.

Comment

I personally do lie on occasion, but never during an interview, in the interview I will always say "I have quite a few interviews to conduct and I have to interview everyone before I can make a choice" and then give them a pointer or two if they slipped up or a small compliment if they are doing very well.

One thing I always say though is "If you've got the position then you'll hear from us by the end of the week"

this does not mean you should phone me back up repeatedly asking if i have given you a job. I'll be honest, we get a HIGH staff turnover at this call centre - we hire about 2 or 3 people a week on average and welose about the same each week, some are NCNS, some we find to be illegal immigrants (your fake national insurance number is not something we look kindly on), some just quit after a day or two as they find out how demanding the work is. As such I do not have time to contact the 372 applicants I have had since the start of this month.

This is where the lie comes in (its only a small white lie), if you call me about an interview and we haven't already hired you, you will recieve this line:

"I'm afraid the position you applied for has already been filled, if you don't mind we can keep your information on file and should another position appropriate to your skills open up we may call you back"

now technically this is correct, as by now at least one position has been filled in, we keep all applicants on file (we have to according to policy) and sometimes we pull up applicants details and offer them a job (if they did well in an interview).

I will not tell someone point blank that they sucked in an interview, even though I've had people worse than you could believe.
                    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Can't speak for all interviewers, but there are some spineless ones. Where I worked in Idaho, they interviewed in teams of three or more. Invariably, when someone didn't get a job (a lot of in-house interviews were going on), they would complain to one of the interviewers - usually their boss - many of whom said in a conspiratorial whisper "I wanted to hire YOU, but the other two disagreed." This despite the fact that there was a specific rating system in place and all interviewers' score were virtually the same. A person just didn't want to be the bad guy and therefore blamed "the others". It would have been a lot more helpful to the applicant to explain what they needed to do to improve their chances next time around, but that might involve *shudder* ADMITTING you didn't select them. Feh.
                      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Ah, HR. Tactics like this don't surprise me. They love to screw with employees with various mind games or other bullshit. They also invent stupid policies (which are difficult, or even impossible to follow) to ensure that they'll always have a job.

I've heard more than one HR person go on about how they actually look at the paper a person's resume is printed on...rather than the content itself Shouldn't ones' qualifications be more important than if the paper and envelope are exactly the same shade of off-white?

Seriously though, I've dealt with more than one company who gave me the run-around when applying. Sorry, but I have better things to waste my time with. I can't be tied up waiting for some idiot to call me about a job. Either I'm perfect for it or I'm not. Don't waste my time! I will remember those who attempted to screw me over, and yes, if I *do* end up working for you...guess what's going to happen if a better offer comes? That's right, I'm going to say "screw you guys...I'm going to..."
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It wasn't an HR issue - HR had fits trying to explain to supervisors to NOT do that. They practically BEGGED managers to be honest with interviewees. It was explained by HR that people should work with their employees to improve their "hireability", but it always fell on deaf ears. Much better, evidently, to cover one's own ass and present an "I'm with you" facade.
                          Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

From my experience, interviews (not all, but many/most) start lying the second they start talking, and don't stop until they say goodbye.

Now I don't mean big things, but some interviewers say "it's good to meet you" or some variant when it's actually a lie (kind of like the "how are you" "I'm fine" Q/A people do).

But if you actually watch the interviewer during an interview (not in a creepy or "do me now!" way), you'll frequently notice when s/he's saying things s/he doesn't believe, knows to be false, just doesn't agree with or is uncomfortable saying, or is hiding/omitting something. Any of these can be considered lies (the last being lying by omission). You'll never know what it is until they potentially hire you, but still.

Now when you consider the same thing can be said by many people in general that you'll run into...it's not a big deal overall. But like with interviewers, unless they say you need to do something before they can decide (more paperwork/etc), take everything with a grain of salt. If they say they love you and want you there, they might............................................. .................................want you far away so you don't shoot them when they say no. (or might want you too of course, just in case you don't get I was implying both ).

[summary: they don't really lie more than everyday people, just their position causes some "lies" for being nice more so than the everyday people]

I do, however, believe that companies should at the very least send an e-mail to confirm they got your application (it doesn't even involve a human to do this), an e-mail/mail/call (at least one) if you get called in for an interview and don't get the position, and an e-mail/mail/call (at least one) if the position is filled no matter if you were called in or not. Considering computers these days, all it'd involve is the HR person clicking a button of "hire", "interview", "don't hire" and the computer would send the proper e-mail once they click "position filled" so it's not like it'd cost money or take that much time (review, decide, click button).

My favorite interview I had said at the beginning that at the end of the interview he'd give his impression, whether he thought he'd hire you or not, and if not what the reasons were. And at the end, he stuck to his word -- and called me after -- and sent a letter! I was denied the position, but I loved the HR guy because he believed in being honest and not letting people hanging.
                            Last edited by JLRodgers; 07-24-2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                              even though I've had people worse than you could believe.
                              No. No you haven't.

Comment

Working...
                              X