Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The companies I've been hired by actually didn't have HR departments at all - but then I work in a highly skilled professional capacity, to the extent where the hiring procedure consists of determining not merely whether you are competent, but whether you are in the top 1% of your field. HR matters were basically handled by management and senior engineers in tandem.

That said, I've had a glimpse of "corporate HR" practices. One large corporation rejected my CV because my English grade was one notch too low, having ignored the standard of the cover letter and the fact that several years had intervened since that grade. Okay, they probably received a huge number of CVs and had to whittle them down *somehow*, but I didn't bother reapplying for another position at the same place.

One of the companies I worked for was absorbed by a much larger American one. During that process, the new "overlords" sent a HR drone to tell us what would be changing. Now, just imagine a typical American HR drone, who has had success with dealing with Indian subsidiaries, now using the same techniques in Finland. After the first disastrous whole-office meeting, during which she blithely made several statements that went contrary to Finnish law - and several of the engineers had called her on it - she was packed off back to America and replaced by a European HR drone, who was much more pleasant to work with.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      I've heard more than one HR person go on about how they actually look at the paper a person's resume is printed on...rather than the content itself Shouldn't ones' qualifications be more important than if the paper and envelope are exactly the same shade of off-white?
      We had to take a "Speech and presentations" class in tech school -- it was basically a resume and interviewing class. The lady who was teaching did indeed focus on the need to use the "correct type and color of paper" for resume's...apparently, this is more widespread than one might think To be fair, tho, she was really just trying to discourage people from turning in resumes and cover letters in white lettering on neon green paper. She also related horror stories to us about people whom she had interviewed who did hand-written resumes (not always in pen...), people who could not spell their own names properly, those who cam in in jeans and clogs, then propped their feet up on her desk while eating a sandwich during the interview session...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I took a couple interview seminars when I was with a co-op program, and they covered the resume paper too. But the college also had the print shop available to students and would print out "a reasonable number" of resumes on proper paper for the students.

The silly skit I remember most was "Don't put 'petroleum distribution engineer' if you were a 'gas station attendant'!"
        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Cut Grass View Post
          It seems that HR departments are staffed by slightly "damaged" people. They love to play games with applicants and employees. They enjoy things like posting jobs that don't exist and losing paperwork involving pay.

It is not surprising that they are too chickensh!t to tell an applicant that they were not hired. They also tell new hires that they got the job just a few hours before orientation begins.

The HR office is always closed and they NEVER respond to phone calls or e-mails.
          I had to call my company's HR office once to fix a direct deposit issue. I caleld the main number and pressed the buttons and finally got thru and was put into voice mail after one ring, this was at 10 AM. I left a message and one one called back. I call the next day, same thing. Finally I talked to the store manager and he got me the direct extension to HR. I call the 800 numebr and enter the extension. It rings. Three rings later...
          E: <company HR> how the hell did you get this number
          Me: I, I was transferred her by another dept.
          E: No you WERE NOT!!! What do you want me to do for you? Make it quick.
          Me: what you name?
          E: <name>
          Me: thankyou. *click*

I talked to the SM and told him. He called from the store and got a nice lady and then handed me the phone.

Comment

I'm teaching a class on interviewing and hiring this week. Gold, this here thread be.
            Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

I've had some interviews where they promise to call to say whether or not I got the position (A lie; they will NEVER call if you didn't get it) and I respond with some variation of, "Thank you- if I'm not selected, I would like to know how I should improve myself to be better for next time"

I know that HR drones don't feel normal human emotions, but I like to twist that knife anyway

Edit to clarify:
              I actually WOULD like to know why I don't get the job when I'm rejected following an interview. It would make my life a lot easier, in terms of rounding out my skillset or otherwise making myself more marketable. That the request should make them feel guilty about not calling is just a bonus.

In general, I suspect that the reason I do so poorly in most interviews is because I'm unsettling to be around; a recent comment on my smile was, "You look like you're getting ready to eat a baby"
              I can't fix that, but if I'm missing a skill set, it'd be nice to know
              Last edited by Arm; 07-30-2009, 06:25 PM.
              "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

I interviewed at Family Video once. My friend was the manager and prepped me for what I needed to know as well as helping me cheat on the pre-employment test. I went to the store in a suit (I saw the other two applicants, they didn't dresss nice) I shaved off my beard knowing it violated Family Video policy and said all the things I knew were the right things to say.

I didn't get hired though. My friend later informed me it was because the regional manager that conducted the interview had a theory that good looking people sold more memberships and I was less good looking then the other two.

The kicker is the person with the most membership sales at that store wasn't good looking.

Comment

Working...
                X