Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like to go 316 mph in 3.77 seconds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
    To quote Terry McGinnis, "This is unbearably cool!"
    "You scratch it, no allowance."

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      you have to remember that after only a few races (which last a few seconds at the most) the engines need to be rebuilt.
      Well, after each run, the engine is basically torn down to the block and rebuilt after every run. Including the clutch pack.

And they do that in less than an hour.

In fact, here's a video that's NOT sped up, of a pit crew tearing an engine down to the block in about seven minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIRe4LHGrDI
      Last edited by mjr; 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

So those engines are only good for 1/4 mile between rebuilds, and the spark plugs are pretty much shot before it gets that far? I've had an engine go well over a million miles, and never had to have the spark plugs changed. That's not unusual - in fact, nobody has EVER changed the spark plugs in a C-15.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Well you're also not pushing your engine well past the red line of common sense either.

And I wasn't certain if it was every run or every few runs so I lowballed to avoid exaggeration.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            So those engines are only good for 1/4 mile between rebuilds, and the spark plugs are pretty much shot before it gets that far?
            Essentially, yes. Unless something really goes boom. And they have 2 plugs per cylinder, if I'm not mistaken...fed by 2 44-amp magnetos.

in fact, nobody has EVER changed the spark plugs in a C-15.
            Because Peterbilts don't have spark plugs. Am I right?

Glowplugs.

And if anyone wants any addition info on Top Fuel...this all seems fairly accurate...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel
            Last edited by mjr; 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I only see single plugs in the disassembly video you posted above

...Which was really impressive, BTW.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                I only see single plugs in the disassembly video you posted above

...Which was really impressive, BTW.
                Weird. I thought at one point they ran 2 per cylinder. Seems I may be mistaken there.

Comment

Working...
                X