Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When/why did people start using "adult" as a verb?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    A perfect example is in those special two words brought to us by the Simpsons; you all know what they are. They are, as of last count, in the OED. That's about as official as you get.
    Like "kwyjibo"?

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
      We doing made up words? The big one in my house is that we don't use moving boxes when we move, we using moving boxen (one ox, many oxen, one box, many boxen?).
      I like to say "boxen" a lot too thanks to this guy.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
        That person is probably from the north east. We leave out helping verbs a fair amount in PA.
        There was a Grammar Girl podcast on this not long ago. I look a quick look on her website but couldn't see it.... my Google-foo failed me as I have no clue as what search terms to use to find it. http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
          That person is probably from the north east. We leave out helping verbs a fair amount in PA.
          The person I was quoting was born and raised in the PNW. She did that a lot, but I haven't heard anyone else talk like that. She also said "leggens" instead of leggings.

I have a bunch of things which bother me regarding pronunciation. One is so prevalent that I think it's an alternate spelling or something now. Sherbet. There's no second R. Also, en route. I'm not perfect with my grammar, but the way some things are said just makes me cringe. However, small things usually don't bother me as much. Like how some people will say "bag" like beg. "Can I get a beg." That's not so bad.

Probably I could work on my use of "quotes."
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            The person I was quoting was born and raised in the PNW. She did that a lot, but I haven't heard anyone else talk like that. She also said "leggens" instead of leggings.

I have a bunch of things which bother me regarding pronunciation. One is so prevalent that I think it's an alternate spelling or something now. Sherbet. There's no second R. Also, en route. I'm not perfect with my grammar, but the way some things are said just makes me cringe. However, small things usually don't bother me as much. Like how some people will say "bag" like beg. "Can I get a beg." That's not so bad.

Probably I could work on my use of "quotes."
            I was born, raised, and live in Texas, and I've heard some interesting ones here myself.

Like I've heard "egg" pronounced like "aig" and "wash" pronounced like "warsh".

Of course, I've also heard "get" pronounced "git", and we leave the letter g off of the ends of "ing" words -- a lot. I'm native Texan, so I do it too...

So instead of saying "singing", we'd say "singin'"

Of course, here we also say things like "dang ole" and "dad gum", too. And "son of a b***h" is sometimes "sumb***h"...

And let's not forget the ever-popular "fixin' to".

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
              I only know one of the Simpsons words, but I'm sure the other one is perfectly cromulent.
              ^_^ Embiggen and cromulent (EDIT: The former is not in there as of two years ago, but I'm fairly certain the latter is. Mea culpa). Both are from the same clip.

Note that "D'oh!" is in there, as well.

I'm almost sorry that I did some research for this Reply. It turns out that the incorrect usage of "literally" (i.e. using it for emphasis, but not in regard to actual fact) IS in the OED. Ya see, examples of that usage date back to at least the 1600's. Sad.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

NAR, I guess that means some of your customers are begging for a "beg". Should be OK, so long as they don't put all their "begs" in one "ask it".
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  ^_^ Embiggen and cromulent (EDIT: The former is not in there as of two years ago, but I'm fairly certain the latter is. Mea culpa). Both are from the same clip.

Note that "D'oh!" is in there, as well.

I'm almost sorry that I did some research for this Reply. It turns out that the incorrect usage of "literally" (i.e. using it for emphasis, but not in regard to actual fact) IS in the OED. Ya see, examples of that usage date back to at least the 1600's. Sad.
                  OMG embiggen makes me cringe, scream and throw things--figuratively. (See what I did there? ) What the hell was wrong with increase or enlarge??
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I like to say "boxen" a lot too thanks to this guy.
                    This channel is great for things about our language: https://youtu.be/bDPrlXSWR8U English is weird, I've heard it described as other languages borrow from each other, English lurks in dark alleys and mugs them for whatever words they have on them.

Quoth mjr View Post
                    I was born, raised, and live in Texas, and I've heard some interesting ones here myself.

Like I've heard "egg" pronounced like "aig" and "wash" pronounced like "warsh".

Of course, I've also heard "get" pronounced "git", and we leave the letter g off of the ends of "ing" words -- a lot. I'm native Texan, so I do it too...

So instead of saying "singing", we'd say "singin'"

Of course, here we also say things like "dang ole" and "dad gum", too. And "son of a b***h" is sometimes "sumb***h"...

And let's not forget the ever-popular "fixin' to".
                    In the south, we got words they don't have in other parts of the country...
                    https://youtu.be/0VSdYaX114Q
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

There's always the deepest depths of urban New Orleans, too, where you can go down by ya' mama's to eat a dressed poboy, stuffed with catfish that has been deep-fried in erl, sittin' on a baguette dat's got it some good mynez spread upon it. Then ya warsh it down wit' an ice-cold Barq's longneck. After yer done, you can go and wrench yer hands in da zinc.

Oh, hush. You knew this was coming.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 08-11-2016, 11:07 AM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                        English is weird, I've heard it described as other languages borrow from each other, English lurks in dark alleys and mugs them for whatever words they have on them.
                        That would be James Nicoll; the full quote is:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

So elegantly phrased!
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                          ... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore...
                          And that's why it has a voclapulary.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've heard "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms trying to pick up Saxon barmaids, no more legitimate than any of the other results."

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                              In the south, we got words they don't have in other parts of the country...
                              Here in Texas, where people talk normal!

Though it's a point of debate as to whether or not Texas should be considered part of "the South".

Quoth Jeff Foxworthy
                              I keep tellin' 'em (other people), You're gon' be real surprised when you get to Heaven and St. Peter says, "Y'all git in th' truck! We're goin' up to the big house!"
                              Last edited by EricKei; 08-11-2016, 11:08 AM. Reason: tags got messed up

Comment

My family is from the south. I consider Texas part of the southwest, which to me is different. I also like to refer to Texas and southern CA as "northern Mexico."
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X